“Poor service and underwhelming food” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #56 of 768 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Indian Restaurant, Indian Buffert, Family Restaurant, Seven Days Serves.
Lexington, Kentucky
“Poor service and underwhelming food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My dining companion and I were, for quite a while, the only customers in the restaurant for dinner. Despite this, we had to wait very long intervals to place our order and to get the check because the employees were watching TV. Additionally, our waiter asked why we hadn't finished our food and didn't want to take it home and then proceeded to lecture me about why it was actually good food. My partner's food was fine, but not good enough to warrant a return visit.

Visited October 2013

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good Food!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a great place to eat Indian food. I am Indian..Trust Me!! Very tasty, a little expensive but worth it. The restaurant interior is OK. But I dont care how the restaurant looks as long as the food is good. I had the chikn biryani, lamb Kabab, my wife had panner tika masala. just awesome!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“fair to poor food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

to me, the evaluation of a restaurant should be on their "staple". For example, for Italian, it's their spaghetti & meatballs ... for Indian, it's chicken vindaloo. As someone whom travels for a living, I usually get Indian food once per week and have had experiences from great to really poor.

In looking for a local Indian restaurant, this one was rated very high on Trip Advisor. When I got my staple (ordering Chicken Vindaloo & Garlic Naan) @ Taj, what I got should be best described as "tomato soup with onion + chicken" with very weak flavor.

I will try someplace else, next time.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Scotland
“Not bad not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were in the mood for Indian food so found this online and went for their lunch buffet. The food was average, not a lot of selection and not a lot of meat etc in the curries. It was a bit difficult to find and the parking lot is not spacious although there are mall parking lots all around.
The waiter was nice and made sure our glasses were filled, my husband asked that they put out some more food as one of the dishes held only gravy and they complied with no problems. Reading other reviews it would probably be better eating off the menu and dinner time. Bottom line is, if I was in the shopping nearby and wanted some Indian food Id probably go there but I wouldnt travel far to get to this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Lexington, Kentucky
“A Hidden Gem...and Dairy-free if you ask”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Last night marked my fifth meal at this restaurant. Every time I've gone there, the food has been excellent. The staff is friendly and helpful, always welcoming. Besides the superb offerings, I am pleased that many of the selections can be made without dairy upon request. There are a few dishes that, due to the essential needs of the recipe, cannot be made without milk or butter. But most can.

What I have tried and loved: Nan of various types (without butter - have to ask); Vegetable Pakoras; Chana Saag (chick peas with spinach); Mixed Vegetables; Banghan Bartha (eggplant and vegetables). There are more on my list to try. I usually ask for "medium" hot, and for me it is perfect: spicy, but doesn't overpower the flavors of the food. The chef knows what he is doing. Taj India received an excellent review in the local newspaper on June 7, 2013 (the article is available at each table).

As another reviewer mentioned, Raj has served us a few times, and he is very accommodating, explaining where needed, wanting to be sure that everything is done well. He has always helped to make our meals memorable.

If you are in the mood for Indian food, or just want a great meal, do go here. It's just one block off busy Richmond Road, and well worth the visit.

• Visited August 2013