“Needs some heating !” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Whepstead
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Brasserie
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Families with children, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Lavenham, United Kingdom
“Needs some heating !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Good home cooked food , owner was a bit straight faced, needs to smile more. I was very cold . I said I have recently been ill and I am cold . I got not response so had to wear my overcoat throughout the meal.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
whitehorseWhepstead, Owner at White Horse Pub, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I am very sorry you found the pub very cold. We have central heating working all the time plus a wood burner. In normal weather conditions this works very well in a listed Elizabethan building, but this last month the weather has been unusually cold. I am sure you were feeling more vulnerable having just come out of hospital. We are all looking forward to warmer times as I am sure you are.

Best wishes to you
Di Kingshott

Sudbury, United Kingdom
“Not Up to Expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Upon recommendations of family, visited the White Horse for Sunday lunch today. We arrived with high expectations and left very disappointed in our meals. My wife had the roast pork casserole with apricots and dates. She found it palatable though a bit bland and the dates very elusive/ I had the roast rib of beef Sunday lunch special. The beef was good and well cooked though again a bit bland. The gravy had a distinctive flavor of cloves. When I complained the reply was that the gravy was cooked to their standard and the flavor in the gravy was black pepper. I cook and I can tell the difference. We shall not return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Beautiful pub, lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had a really lovely evening here - gorgeous old 17th century inn, great service, excellent food and very reasonably priced.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
london
“Lovely country pub - food is outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Found the White Horse Pub after searching on Trip Advisor for a nice country pub doing good food near Bury St Edmunds.

And this is exactly what the White Horse Pub is... except that 'good food' doesn't really do it justice. The food here is outstanding. The cottage pie, the home made meatballs, the salmon in pickled ginger were all superb. Someone in the kitchen really knows what they are doing at this place.

The staff and landlady were all incredibly friendly and helpful with service. Oh, and this is an Adnams pub... so Broadside on draught was very much appreciated.

Can't recommend the White Horse Pub enough. If you're in the area and looking for a lovely country pub that does outstanding food, then this is the place to head to.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
london
“Wow, great country pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We found the White Horse by googling country pubs near Bury St Edmunds, and felt really lucky to have found such a great place. My food was tasty and sophisticated and a cut above what you expect in a country pub, so much so that we went back for lunch on our way home the next day. Also friendly, helpful service. Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere