“Room not up to Sleep Inn standards” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Jeffersontown
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Room not up to Sleep Inn standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

When reviewing a property like this that has a four to five circle rating and many reviews, what do I say that hasn’t already been said many times before? For me, what I look for in this circumstance is the most recent reviews to see whether the property continues to earn positive reviews. Therefore I’ll provide this summary review.

When traveling, I look for places that are four to five circles in “trip advisor”, that are reasonably priced for the area, that offer a free breakfast and have free wireless internet service. This property met those conditions. The consensus rating is that this is an "o.k." place and I would agree. The breakfast area was very well maintained and above average. Wireless internet worked fine. My single concern was that my room seemed "beaten up" and poorly maintained. The carpet was not clean; lots of ground in material in it. From what others have said, this property has been remodeled but my room didn’t appear that way. I stayed at a number of Sleep Inns on my last trip and this one, room-wise, didn’t compare well. Perhaps I would stay here again but I would want to see the room first.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Excelsior, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had not stayed in a Sleep Inn that I recall. Did they used to be called something else? Anyway my friend picked this place. The price was reasonable. There is a shower and no tub which is different but fine with me. I did like the microwave and fridge in the room. The fridge even had a little freezer for my cooler's ice packs. The floor space was smallish, just barely room for me to do pushups in the morning at the foot of the two beds. The location was perfect for us and the event we were attending. There was a bit of road construction on the street by it but it wasn't a problem at all. There are lots of restaurants and shops across the street and close by. It is about 20 minutes from the airport, so it is not by the airport. The breakfast was a bit better than basic continental. They did have hot eggs / sausage, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and some fresh fruit - apples, oranges. I generally try for protein and fresh fruit in the morning. Many breakfasts are long on bread, bagels, biscuits, donuts, waffles which I try to avoid. They had those also. The staff was friendly. When we came back after 2 am, they offered to give us a late checkout. LOL. I was taking my friend to the airport at 6:30 am so I said no thanks. I was here 2 nights. The only odd thing was when they refreshed the towels and stuff after the first night, they took the bar of soap we were using at the sink and didn't put out a fresh one. I had to go back and ask for one. I always want soap when I wash my hands.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Franklin, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Like many Sleep Inns, this one seems to have been built recently. It is tucked into a quiet street very close to I-64 on the east side of town. The lobby is clean and the staff friendly and professional. The rooms are not large, but they are well laid out and attractively furnished. I liked the spacious desk and flat screen television. Everything about my stay was going well until a powerful odor of cigarette smoke started to make itself known. After a bit I determined that the smoke was strongest in the bathroom, where it was almost like having a smoker in the room with you. I was on the first floor, and when I called the desk they told me the the smoking rooms were on the third floor. Apparently, the cigarette smell was making its way down through the vents. To their considerable credit the staff volunteered to move me to another room, but as it was late and my stuff was already spread out, I chose to stay where I was and just keep the bathroom door closed. The odor was still there, but not as bad--until I needed to step into the bathroom where it was overpowering, even the next morning.

I work from home, and spend a week per month in Louisville, where my company is located. This hotel would have been a candidate for my "go to" place to stay when I'm there, but because of this smoke problem I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Cigarette smoke from the upper floors makes its way into the non-smoking rooms on the lower floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
North Canton, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Staying at this hotel taught me a very valuable lesson. I am away from home sometimes up to 20 nights a month therefore I carry the top level of status for the Choice Hotels rewards program. I do most of my hotel reservations on line. Staying at this hotel taught me a very valuable lesson.

I have filled in the Special Request area of the online form in the past only to be told they don't look at that area. For this hotel, I wished I had indicated I needed a quiet room. I was placed right next to the ice machine and laundry area. Needless to say, it was not a room conducive to sleeping.

When we mentioned this to the young man at the counter, he tried to help but could not because they were completely full. Mentioning this discomfort to the front desk staff they next morning, they informed me if I had put our wish for a quiet room on my reservation request, they wouldn't have put me in that room. They weren't that pleasant about it either. Defensive and slightly rude are the two words I would use about their behavior.

My being a Diamond Elite member of Choice Hotels for more than 10 years didn't make a bit of difference to them when they were assigning rooms that day. I was disappointed in their decision process when assigning rooms. Next time I'm in Louisville, KY, I will not stay here and you might remember to fill out the special request area of the reservation form if you want or need something other than their choice for your nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in your reservation. Who knows where they will put you if you don't.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna T, Area Sales Manager KY at Sleep Inn Louisville, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We sincerely apologize for your recent experience at the Sleep Inn East in Louisville, KY.
This is not the way we should treat any of of guests and most definitely not a Choice Priviledge Diamond member. Please contact our manager, Pam Callahan at the property offline so we can discuss the specifics of your stay as this isn’t the impression we want to leave with our guest.

Thank you very much for taking the time to make us aware of this most uncomfortable situation as a guest should not have to make a "SPECIAL REQUEST" to receive a quiet room. I am embarrassed that this is the treatment a Choice Priviledges "Diamond Member" received. Please accept my sincere apologies.

KY Area Sales Mananger
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed 3 nights the weekened of April 12 through 15. The room was very quiet, and the bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed the breakfast, especially the cheese omelets and sausage. The front desk personnel were very friendly and interested in my visit to Louisville. I picked this particular motel due to previous stays in Sleep Inns in other parts of the U. S., and the affordability and location. I will definitely stay here the next time I'm in Louisville.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Donna T, Area Sales Manager at Sleep Inn Louisville, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on the Sleep Inn East Louisville. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Conveniently located to downtown and the east end of Louisville our guest love our location. We pride ourselves on making our guest comfortable and try to make the experience a home away from home. Our hot deluxe complimentary breakfast gets rave reviews and our rooms are very comfortable and quiet. Our staff consistently goes beyond the call of duty to make sure our guest needs are taken care of.

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and hope that when you return to the Louisville area you will stay with us again.

Area Sales Manager KY
Campbellsville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel was very close to the conference we were attending and very affordable. We found the inside and furnishing to be up to date and in good order. The breakfast was great with sausage, eggs, cereal, waffles, and a great selections of drinks. The only downside was the lack of noise proofing between rooms and floors. It was easy to hear people walking in other rooms. But overall we would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Donna T, Area Sales Manager at Sleep Inn Louisville, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for your recent review for the Sleep Inn Louisville. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that our location was convenient to your conference. Everyone loves our new expanded hot deluxe breakfast.

We appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest on your next visit to Louisville.

Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were still 8 hours away from home on our trip, and ran into some unexpected problems. At 11 pm with only about 4 hours of sleep in the last two days, Sleep Inn was the first hotel right off the interstate we found that was affordable to us. The night shift desk clerk Daryl was awesome and actually cheered us up a lot, and got us into a nice clean room quickly. The morning front desk manager was also great; friendly and very informative about the surrounding area and how to get to places. Breakfast was good, Wifi was decently fast. I really appreciate them making a rough day easier to deal with.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end of the right wing are closest to the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your recent review. I am glad our staff was able to help to make your day better. We have an excellent staff at the Sleep Inn and pride ourselves on great customer service.
We appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest again.

Donna Thompson

Been to Sleep Inn Louisville? Share your experiences!