“Great Place for a Day Trip” 5 of 5 stars

270-786-2634
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun and interactive animal park. Many Australian animals including kangaroos, as well as other North American Animals. Cave on site, included with admission price. Fun for the whole family.
KY
9 attraction reviews
“Great Place for a Day Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

Kentucky Down Under is a great way to spend a day. As another reviewer mentioned, some activities are scheduled and some are not. The best thing to do is to plan as soon as you get there, so you spend less time waiting and make the most of the day. The staff was incredibly friendly, and our family really enjoyed the closeness to the animals. The cave was really wet on the inside, I wore flip flops which made it a little slick to manuever around. We didn't try any food while we were there, but found the gift shop to be comparable to most others.

Florida
“wonderful day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

My grandchildren and I spent almost 6 hours here on Saturday June 6,2009. We all had a great time from the cave, milking a cow, petting a kangaroo,feeding the birds and just walking around . This place is very clean, and everybody was so friendly. We were all very impressed.

accountant_guy
53 attraction reviews
“Absolutely Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

I just started using Trip Advisor a few months ago while planning a long vacation over the summer. Even though I haven’t gone on the trip, I feel the information I collected is going to prove invaluable. In the meantime, I planned a day trip down to Mammoth Cave as a fun, cheap way to entertain the family. Initially I had planned on doing two cave tours that day; however I read some great reviews for KY Down Under on here and decided to give it a shot. It was 50 bucks even for the four of us (two adults, two kids), and worth every penny. Upon arrival my wife’s first comment was, “it is small”. In fact, it is small relatively speaking. It is certainly not Disney to be certain. There are about a dozen “attractions” each with their own unique attributes.

For me the best thing was the Outback walkabout where we got to not only pet a large, male, red kangaroo, but he also let us grab and lift his tail!! I can see why those things are dangerous. It was about 20 pounds of pure muscle. We also got to pet a smaller gray kangaroo, and a baby gray walked right up and started fraternizing with our group. The cave tour included is a direct contrast with Mammoth Cave. The cave at KDE is wet, which means it is filled with formations from start to finish. The tour is about a quarter mile over 45 minutes, but very interesting. Other attractions included two bird feeding areas (lorikeets and another type of bird I have forgotten the name of). The lorikeets were very aggressive compared to the other type, and both of these experiences turned out to be very different. There is also a wool shed where they demonstrate sheep herding techniques with a Border Collie and talk about how they shear a sheep. Apparently a few of the dogs they have on site compete in contests and I was rather impressed with how well they were able to control the sheep. We were there for almost 4 hours and didn’t even get to the reptile show, the show on Aborigines and boomerang techniques, or another show where I hear you get to milk a goat.

Most of the attractions are timed so you shouldn’t plan to just drop in for a short bit and expect to see a lot. When you enter they give you a brochure with the time for your cave tour, and a listing of all the times for each attraction. At the end of the day my wife and I agree that while there was not a lot of quantity, there was a ton of quality in each attraction. I didn’t leave an attraction having not laughed, learned something new, or been completely entertained. The kids loved it every bit as much as me, if not more. I cannot say enough good things about this place.

Iowa
“Kids and parents LOVED it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We went on a family trip to Kentucky in Mid-March 2009. Based on positive reviews on Tripadvisor we planned a day at Kentucky Down Under. Thanks fellow reviewers, you were right, this place was great. The staff at KDU couldn't have been friendlier. We went on a cave tour with Courtney and she was awesome. The day we went was somewhat cool and overcast and their weren't a lot of visitors so we had a personal cave tour. Our 3 and 8 year old boys absolutely loved it. She explained things very well and was patient as the boys asked question after question as only kids can do. She answered them all with a smile and really seemed to have a passion and enjoyment for the park.
This passion was displayed by every single employee we encountered. Additional activities that the boys (and us parents) enjoyed were feeding birds up close and personal; feeding baby lambs, milking a cow, watching a shepherd dog in action, the reptile presentation, and the walk through the outback. This outback features wallabies, kangaroos, emus, and black swans. At zoos you can see these animals as well, but at KDU, our kids were able to get a true hands on educational experience.
While the staff is certainly concerned about the enjoyment and education of visitors I will add that they are also equally if not more concerned about the safety of both the visitors and their animals. This made for the overall experience to be throughly enjoyable. I recommend for anyone traveling through this area.
Oh, one other note, they sell various types of fudge at their gift shop that they make right there at the park. It is excellent!

Kentucky
“An annual trip for the kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I live in the local area and I take my two boys to Kentucky Down under every year. It never gets old. Everyone there is very helpful and the park is always well taken care of. I have been going there for four years and have never had a bad experience. I read a review that complained about many of the activities being scheduled at the same time, but have never encountered that. We lay out our plan when we get there and always manage to see everything.