“Best attraction hands down!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Attractions in Horse Cave
Type: Museums
Activities: Kayaking
More attraction details
Owner description: Take an in-depth look at the fascinating world of caves as you journey through gigantic subterranean chambers made out of limestone.After you explore the underground, try out the aerial view from our new zipline and rappel!
“Best attraction hands down!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Ask for Charolay and Clayton! This is a very affordable price for a day of fun! I have 3 boys (8,5 and 2) and they LOVED the zip line! Although the cave was flooded due to the rising river water from the rains, Charolay made it a great adventure for my boys! She really went above and beyond to make them feel special! Honestly, I think we had more fun here than all of our mini-vacation! Check it out! Great family fun! (I also love Dirty Jobs, and Steve Rowe has been there too! Bonus!)

Traverse City, Michigan
“Best day of our trip!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We drove straight from Michigan to spend 6 days / 5 nights for spring break- I have an 8 yo girl & 11 yo boy. This was our best day by far & very inexpensive! We did all the zip lines, freefalls, rapelling, alpine slides, horses, etc in the 30 mile radius as well as tons of caves. We spent almost an entire day here just because we liked the people and the activities so much. Gary and Charolay were so professional and made us feel right at home, safe to try their thrill seeking activites. It is worth a stop in to see the awesome interactive museum, do some cool activities and tour their cave. They have wonderful history, great storytelling, lots to see and do. The cave is impressive, active with critters, water and huge domes. Our guide was very knowledgeable and friendly, Clayton welcomed us genuinely. The kids enjoyed sifting out back through their sand bags, nice selection of well priced specimens. We all learned a lot and had a TON of fun. Thanks!!!

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“So much knowledge!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

This place was a great experience. The guides are knowledgable and move at the pace of the group. My group had a lot of questions and our guide, Gary, was so great about it. He seemed to enjoy talking to us and he took extra time to accommodate everyone in our group. I am so glad on went on this tour. I hope to return for the zip line one day.

Herrin, Illinois
“Wonderful Cave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My Wife, Daughter and I visited this Cave on Saturday March 22nd.,2014 Our Guide was Cave Dave he is very Knowledgeable if the History as well as the current status of the cave and the river that flows through it. Only my Daughter and I was on the cave tour due to a recent surgery my wife had on her neck, She remained at the cave opening at Dave's suggestion and we proceeded into and all through the cave stopping quit often for explanation's of varying stages of the cave and river. A better guide would be extremely hard to find in our opinion. We hope to return soon with friends and family. They also have a Zip Line as well as a Repelling Wall at the site..

Freeport, Pennsylvania
115 attraction reviews
“Wonderful tour, staff very welcoming, lots of steps, museum interesting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I dropped by on a winter Thursday afternoon. Tours in winter are given about once an hour, so I had to wait for a little while for my tour to start. I explored the museum which is worth a look and if you have any interest in caves, will take the better part of 40 minutes to see. If you're only marginally interested in caves, my guess is that the museum won't take you more than 10 minutes.

From the desk, the basic cave tour departs in an elevator. This saves you a three story walk up and down to the cave sinkhole entrance, but might be deceptive for some as it's only the start of your descent. There are about 180 steps from the top to the entrance.

When it came time for my tour, I was still the only guest in the gift shop and I expected to be disappointed that they wouldn't be able to run a tour. In my experience with Pennsylvania show caves, they won't run a tour unless they have a minimum number. Hidden River Cave is run by folks who nurture the legendary Southern Hospitality, and they ran a full cave tour just for me. I was very impressed.

I was fortunate enough to have my tour led by Shannon, one of the ACCA (American Cave Conservation Association) associates, and manager of the gift shop and museum. I am also a caver, so we had a lot to talk about on my tour.

Just inside the cave entrance, two rivers meet and the passage is completely filled with water. The association has built a walkway just above the water, and we had several opportunities to look for the cave life (crayfish for the most part) that make the cave their home.

The only disappointment in the standard tour is the length. The tour ends after about 400 yards and after climbing up a medium hill to a beautiful viewpoint. The ACCA would like to extend the tour route beyond the overlook but for 2014, this is the end of the standard tour.

If the idea of traversing 180 steps at the end dismays you, I can tell you not to worry. Shannon paused artfully at several junctures to describe historic cave features, and I never even felt winded. She looked pretty fit, so I'm sure she was pausing for me, but she never let it show.

The next time I'm in the area, I look forward to another visit, just to see the progress on the cave, the continued restoration of the river, and to experience again that same welcoming Southern Hospitality exhibited by Shannon and the rest of the staff.