“Average meal” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Louisville, Kentucky
“Average meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed over night and really found the surroundings very peaceful and relaxing. Our dinner was just okay, not bad but not great. Breakfast was buffet and it had a very wide variety and tasted very good. I have eaten here in the past but it was usually lunch which was always good. The atmosphere is so good that I put up with the average meal. I had the pork and it didn't seem done, but the waitress assured me it was, but it was pink inside and chewy. All the sides were okay. I still would go back again, but with little expectations.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Shelbyville, Kentucky
“Very good, but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We ate dinner here on 4-3-13. I had country ham, which was the special of the night and my wife had the pork loin. She said hers was very good. Mine was fine, but not any better than you get at Cracker Barrel for half the price. They served us very good rolls and corn brean, as well as a relish bowl full of olives, pickles, pickeled okra, fresh cauliflower, etc. The waitress, who was wonderful, brought around three vegetables that she serve from the bowl. They were salsify, which we had not had before, but is a root, similar to a white carot, boiled red potatoes and broccoli. The brocoli was nothing special but the rest were vwery good. Overall a good experience and I would go again. Total bill for the two of us with tip was $50.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Best Vegetable Soup Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Perfect Day to visit the Shaker Village...cold, misty...almost eerie. After visiting the historic Shaker Village, we ate lunch at the Inn. Had reservations but I dont think it is necessary. From what I understand, they have a new chef and have remodeled the restaurant. It is wonderful. We both ordered soup. My vegetable soup was the best ever. Simple, not too many ingredients and fresh. The other order was the tomato soup...quite delicious as well. Lunch comes with freshly made rolls, cornbread sticks, and a bowl of wonderful coleslaw. My meal was the salad which was fairly standard ...blue cheese dressing was a little flat. We shared their famous lemon pie which includes the rinds. Really good but a bit tart. Some ice cream would have mellowed the tartness.
Our waitress was pleasant and helpful. I wish we could have made it to the Friday night fish fry.....All in all, it was a very good experience.

• Visited March 2013
USA
“Top Drawer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were visiting family in Harrodsburg and decided to have dinner in the dining room at Shaker Village. We ate in the Winter Kitchen and the atmosphere and food were excellent. The rolls are homemade and come to the table hot and delicious. My husband and I ordered the crabcakes, and they were the best we have ever eaten. We are both from the coast of VA and know great seafood, these were perfection. Huge lumps of white crab meat and very little else. Our cousin ordered the creamed chicken and it was also to die for. Our severs were very attentive and friendly, all around it was a great night with great food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Looking (without success) for someplace my daughter & I could have a special dinner for Christmas Eve, I called many places in and around Harrodsburg. After driving 11 hours, I figured we would just eat at her apartment on Sunday (day before Xmas Eve) but, last minute, we called Shaker Village. What a pleasure!

We ordered bigger than usual, planning to have leftovers. That nearly didn't work because everything was so good. Having just moved South, daughter tried her first catfish (lightly breaded and, I think, fried but maybe baked) while I went for Southern fried chicken with a side of ham (generous bone-in cut). Waiting for meal, we savored the mix of mostly pickled veggies (baby corn, sweet pickles, whole okra, green & black olives, plus carrots and celery) and bread rolls.

When meal was served, we quickly figured out that "passing" side dishes means our waiter offered generous helpings of boiled new potatoes, Lima beans and corn pudding, all of which were fresh and tasty (read "no leftovers"). In fact, 1-1/2 pieces of chicken, most of the ham & a bite of fish was about it to take home. Plus 3 desserts (minus one bite of each). Bread pudding with bourbon sauce, fudge-nut-chocolate delight and lemon pie (new to us, made with real slices of lemon).

In short, wonderful meal in a pleasant setting with friendly service.

• Visited December 2012