“I just can't say enough good things . . . .” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in North Side
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Doing business, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The perfect blend of historic ambiance and cutting edge cuisine Open six days a week Reservations Recommended
Savannah, GA
“I just can't say enough good things . . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

I almost hate to write this review, because I know it will probably help propel this restaurant into the realm where I won't be able to get a reservation there myself, but its quality will take it there anyway, so what the hey!

I had always admired the exterior of this restaurant, which is located at the back gate of Mahogany Run Golf Course, but had never actually been inside. We attended a cocktail event there on a recent visit to the island and loved the feel of the newly reopened place--gorgeous, typical Caribbean stone walls, vaulted, beamed ceilings and soft lighting, and also liked the look of their new menu, so decided to make a reservation a couple of weeks later to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The girl who answered the phone and took the reso was very professional and even asked for our first names once she heard we were celebrating a special occasion (which later turned out to be used to hand-letter individually-printed menus sealed with old-fashioned red wax--a nice touch!) When we showed up, we were immediately seated and our drink order taken and then the server explained that the diners at each table have the opportunity to go back into the kitchen and talk with the chef about any questions they might have regarding the menu and also make any changes to the entrees or sides they might desire. We were intrigued, and headed back in to the kitchen. The chef is vibrant young guy who makes you feel welcome and special and encourages any questions or dialogue you might want to have about food and wine. He offered us a taste of a couple of specialty items that weren't even on the menu and just made us feel as if we were the only ones he was cooking for! The meal was absolutely delicious from beginning to end, and the price very fair considering the quality and generous portions. We had the 3-cheese plate (where you get to choose which cheeses you want and a good portion of each cheese served on a large plate with fruit, and homemade flat bread), the caesar salad (if anything, the most underwhelming item we had--and it was still good), and then I had the veal ossobucco with crispy calamari and my husband had a half rack of lamb with sauteed scallops. We couldn't do dessert and we had enough to enjoy the experience all over again for lunch the next day! To top the evening off, the server brought a tray holding 2 petit fours that was artfully lettered "Happy Anniversary!" It definitely was, and we will definitely be back before the next one!

St. Thomas
“So this is what it feels like to be Anthony Bourdain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Amazing. Having grown up on St. Thomas and witnessing the many iterations of this landmark restaurant, I am happy to say that this time around, we finally got it right. Executive Chef Greg Engelhardt invited me and my party back into the kitchen for his customizable "butcher's block" entree option, where you the diner gets to choose wihch meats, vegetables, and starches you would like and in what quantity. Greg was very knowledgable about his menu and was very proud of the fact that he sourced his meats from farms with the highest of standards. I opted for the elk (from New Zealand I believe) and fresh local wahoo with brocollini and potato puree. Everything on my plate was phenomenal.

Everything on my tablemates' plates was quite good as well, including the ribeye and rack of lamb. The desserts were also quite imaginative, with rootbeer and strawberry soda floats with a chocolate pistachio truffle pairing, a pineapple soup (which I didn't want, but was very impressed by!), a decadent chocolate tart, and my personal favorite, the dulce de leche cheesecake.

After dinner, Chef Engelhardt and his lovely fiancee Whitney joined our party for after dinner drinks and dessert. Since all of us were foodies, Greg had us hanging on every word as he regaled us with stories of his experiences in the culinary world. His passion for food is infectious and undeniable, and if you are lucky enough to have a chance to taste Greg's cooking, you can see that it translates to every menu item. I highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely be coming back regularly!

St. Thomas
“Best dinning experience on St. Thomas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

The Old Stone Farmhouse is an iconic restaurant on St. Thomas, which has served excellent food and wine to guests for many years. The new management, however, has taken the restaurant to a whole new level! Dining here is truly an experience, with great food and a friendly staff, combined with special touches such interaction with the chef, and the ability to design your own meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Thomas
“Best meal you'll have, hands down!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

WOW! What an EXPERIENCE! This is the kind of meal you read about in Food and Wine magazine...truly one of the best meals I've ever had. While you might remember Old Stone Farmhouse as "fine dining" and "special occasion", it has been overhauled and is now unpretentious and laid back, thanks to the genius of Executive Chef Greg Engelhardt and General Manager Whitney Walter. They've created an atmosphere that allows you to relax and enjoy amazing food paired with stunning wine for a fair price.

I was completely unprepared for the meal I enjoyed last night...I thought I was going to have a quick salad and glass of wine at the bar and call it a night. Totally not what you want to do here! You need to come and enjoy the space as much as the food itself. The dining room is large and open yet feels cozy with all the stone walls and original nooks and crannies.

Our waiter Todd was fantastic--there when you needed something but not hovering at all. He explained the most extraordinary special I've ever heard of: "come with me to the kitchen and talk to the chef--tell him what you feel like eating tonight and we'll make it happen". Have you EVER? Executive Chef Greg is personable and clearly is a master at running his kitchen. He asked us a few questions, we asked our own and collectively we decided on a menu.

From the amuse buche after our "chef meeting" to the desert as we were walking out the door, every part of the meal was well orchestrated and perfectly timed. My meal of Tasmanian short ribs with red wine reduction and scallops with arugula pesto was to die for. My friend had blackened sea bass over saffron risotto and butter poached Maine lobster which was truly out of this world.

Greg allowed us a sneak peek at the wine cellar (which is really in the center of the dining room) and I was thrilled to see some amazing vintages ON ST THOMAS!

I've already told everyone I know to GO TO OLD STONE! I guarantee you will have an experience of a lifetime.

kansas
“Cute Restaurant, Cute Chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

This restaurant was really cute and a welcome departure from the 'shanti-chic' style of most restaurants on the island. We were thrilled to be invited into the (very clean) kitchen to meet the chef. He has trained under some of the best and is as friendly as he is attractive. He is great about allowing to mic and match menu items and portion sizes.

Food was good. Some items better than others. It's worth the trip but service needs improvement for sure.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere