“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in North Side
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Description: The perfect blend of historic ambiance and cutting edge cuisine Open six days a week Reservations Recommended
Kalamazoo, MI
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Superb service - food was very good, and very rich. Lots of butter and cream. The trip back to the kitchen to talk with the chef before the meal is a nice touch. Ali is a wonderful cab driver and tour guide... His business is "Ali and Sons" - or ask any cab driver

London
“Wonderful perfect food, ambiance, service and music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Had the most amazing evening at OSF ! Every aspect of it was perfect. The new menu is tops-could compete in New York or Paris. The staff are friendly but super-professional. The new wine list excellent. As always the place glows with historical beauty , thick stone walls, tables overlooking herb garden, and courtyard music provided

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Great ambiance, that is where it ends”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

First- the building and decor are fabulous. Now the service and the food. The menu is very limited centering around wild game type of proteins....kangaroo, boar,scallops etc.... I had the boar and the scallops. The boar was requested medium rare and came out medium well and slightly tougher than shoe leather. The scallops were translucent suggesting they were frozen....and slightly better than the boar, but still disappointing. At the end of the meal, it took over 30 minutes to get a cab because they gave away the one we called.

Summary- there are much better choices on St Thomas for the food. The ambiance is nice, but for an average check of $100...I wouldn't suggest it.

Visited November 2012
Tony M, General Manager at Old Stone Farmhouse, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Steve,

I can't address the taxi issue for you unfortunately due to the fact that the taxi services here on the island have no affiliation with any specific venue, more importantly no affiliation with us here at the OSFH. We have strong relationships with certain taxi drivers due to the fact that we provide an excellent guest experience all the way from the ambiance and service to our fresh and never frozen scallops. We pride ourselves on providing an excellent guest experience every night and for every guest, it is unfortunate that your altercation with the valet regarding the perception of giving away "your" taxi has resulted in a negative experience for you and your guest. I can only hope that you are reading this response while you are still on St. Thomas to allow me the opportunity to make amends.

You will see from our consistent 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor that the guest experience and dedication to quality are of pinnacle importance to how we conduct business. We invite all of our guests into our very large and very clean kitchen to inspect the beautiful fresh product that we prepare to the guests exact specifications.

Regarding our menu, the menu is our "Butcher's Block" which is where the guests pick and choose from 4-6 seafood and 4-6 meat offerings as well as 5 side dishes allowing for multiple combinations for their entree. In addition we produce 8-9 daily specialties for appetizers, salads and soup which we refer to as our "Starters." From there we produce 4-6 entree specials on a daily basis to ensure only the freshest and highest quality product is being provided to our guests. Feel free to give me a call at 340-777-6277 to talk to me, Tony May so that we may show you all of the excellence that the other 80 guests dining with you that evening experienced.
Byron Center, Michigan
“Lorraine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This restaurant was recommended for our 35th wedding anniversary and Lorraine did an awesome job. We thoroughly enjoyed going into the Kitchen area and writing our names on the wall...so much fun - thank you for the wonderful experience

Herndon, Virginia
“First visit - very impressive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went to the OSF this past weekend for the first time and it was almost a 5 in every sense. The restaurant's interior was really very unique being a 200 year old plantation building, the ambience and soft lighting was great, the wait staff very attentive and helpful. A unique aspect of this restaurant was the pre-order visit to the kitchen to discuss the meat offerings and pairings for the nights dinner, which I had not experienced before. Based on the chef's discussion, I went with the monkfish and the kangaroo steak, and I was not disappointed. The restaurant usually has a couple of meat dishes each night that may be odd or unusual, but that adds to the dinner possibilities. My wife had the pork tenderloin and lobster dish with risotto, and that is where my less than 5 rating comes in. A previous reviewer also expressed disappointment in this dish. The dish did not seem to be a good match to begin with as the lobster was quite buttery and the risotto having a sweeter coconut flavor. But to top it off the risotto was quite undercooked, and a great restaurant should know how to do this right.

A previous reviewer had concern that the restaurant had closed for a bit, but I think several of the very good restaurants close during the slow period (September - October) to give their staff and owners vacation.

All said, I will be planning my next visit there next year when I return. If you like fine dining, this is a must. Just watch the risotto....

Chuckem,

Thank you for such an honest and constructive review, I have taken a moment to review your 13 other restaurant reviews and I was impressed with the articulate and non-biased approach you have taken. Please don't get me wrong, I love all of our 5 star reviews, but knowing how we can improve upon our guests experience is of pinnacle importance to us here at The Old Stone Farmhouse. I'd like you to know that the coconut risotto has since been replaced with a beautiful sweet corn risotto that started out as nothing more than fresh corn, fantastic corn stock made from the cobs and perfectly executed arborio rice cooked using the risotto method. It is unfortunate that we had two evenings that the coconut risotto wasn't executed properly because when I make it the flavors and textures are harmonious, subtle coconut water and milk with just a touch of chicken stock finished with Grana Padano cheese, butter and just a touch of lime.

The next time you're in town give us a call to let Tony know that he has to make you the coconut risotto with the chili-lime marinated rock shrimp. In the mean time our fantastic culinary and service staff will continue to strive for excellence every day and for every guest. Thank you again for such an articulate and constructive review.