“First visit - very impressive” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in North Side
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The perfect blend of historic ambiance and cutting edge cuisine Open six days a week Reservations Recommended
Herndon, Virginia
“First visit - very impressive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went to the OSF this past weekend for the first time and it was almost a 5 in every sense. The restaurant's interior was really very unique being a 200 year old plantation building, the ambience and soft lighting was great, the wait staff very attentive and helpful. A unique aspect of this restaurant was the pre-order visit to the kitchen to discuss the meat offerings and pairings for the nights dinner, which I had not experienced before. Based on the chef's discussion, I went with the monkfish and the kangaroo steak, and I was not disappointed. The restaurant usually has a couple of meat dishes each night that may be odd or unusual, but that adds to the dinner possibilities. My wife had the pork tenderloin and lobster dish with risotto, and that is where my less than 5 rating comes in. A previous reviewer also expressed disappointment in this dish. The dish did not seem to be a good match to begin with as the lobster was quite buttery and the risotto having a sweeter coconut flavor. But to top it off the risotto was quite undercooked, and a great restaurant should know how to do this right.

A previous reviewer had concern that the restaurant had closed for a bit, but I think several of the very good restaurants close during the slow period (September - October) to give their staff and owners vacation.

All said, I will be planning my next visit there next year when I return. If you like fine dining, this is a must. Just watch the risotto....

Tony M, General Manager at Old Stone Farmhouse, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Chuckem,

Thank you for such an honest and constructive review, I have taken a moment to review your 13 other restaurant reviews and I was impressed with the articulate and non-biased approach you have taken. Please don't get me wrong, I love all of our 5 star reviews, but knowing how we can improve upon our guests experience is of pinnacle importance to us here at The Old Stone Farmhouse. I'd like you to know that the coconut risotto has since been replaced with a beautiful sweet corn risotto that started out as nothing more than fresh corn, fantastic corn stock made from the cobs and perfectly executed arborio rice cooked using the risotto method. It is unfortunate that we had two evenings that the coconut risotto wasn't executed properly because when I make it the flavors and textures are harmonious, subtle coconut water and milk with just a touch of chicken stock finished with Grana Padano cheese, butter and just a touch of lime.

The next time you're in town give us a call to let Tony know that he has to make you the coconut risotto with the chili-lime marinated rock shrimp. In the mean time our fantastic culinary and service staff will continue to strive for excellence every day and for every guest. Thank you again for such an articulate and constructive review.

Atlanta
“Fabulous setting, decent value, but recent visit a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Fine dining in St. Thomas can be expensive, and OSFH is right in line with our other favorites including Oceana, Caribbean Fish Market, Havana Blue, and a new favorite, Twisted Cork. Although lacking an ocean view, OSFH has a wonderful setting and charming atmosphere that make you think you're in the countryside somewhere like Vermont, or perhaps Switzerland, rather than in the tropics. My husband and I went to OSFH in August to celebrate my birthday. Food and service were excellent. After visiting Thailand, the owners had added a taste of Thai to the menu and we enjoyed a rich, creamy Pad Thai with OSFH's signature meat/seafood selection. We returned in November with my sister from out-of-town and had a much less pleasant experience. We arrived for a 7:45 reservation and were told our table wasn't quite ready. We were not seated until after 8:30 and did not get our food until almost 9:30. (Not the server's fault). We were disappointed to find that the menu's Thai influence had disappeared. I ordered a surf n' turf - Maine lobster and pork tenderloin with coconut risotto. The pork was excellent; the lobster not so good. The overly sweet risotto had the taste and consistency of something out of a box. My sister ordered a roasted chicken dish which she said was excellent. My husband ordered the vegetarian entree - pasta pomodoro - and was served the coconut risotto instead! As an entree! For $29! He could have had the roasted chicken for only $5 more. He was told the pomodoro wasn't up to the chef's standards... We got the impression that the ownership had changed. The restaurant had been closed for the month of September while the owners took vacation. Apparently they didn't return. Although I would rate our recent experience as "poor," I am giving an overall rating of "average" in hopes that the new owners will rise to the previous standard. For now, we will stick with our other favorites.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Tony M, General Manager at Old Stone Farmhouse, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Smithy1988,

First and foremost I need to apologize to you for your last than satisfactory experience from the other evening. I will not insult you with excuses, rather explain to you that we are currently in the process of dealing with a large transition and we are still in the process of fine tuning our systems. I am proud to say though we are not quite batting a 1000 just yet, although we have had many happy and repeat customers since we have reopened for the season. This of course does not negate your experience, your honest and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. I certainly hope that you had an opportunity to speak to our Maitre D Barbara about your experience prior to your departure during the evening in the question, I am confident that she would have made certain that the situation was remedied for your next visit to the OSFH.

I would love to have the opportunity to show to you exactly what our standards are here at The Old Stone Farmhouse and have you taste our coconut risotto done properly, with just a touch of kaffir lime and cilantro. The Thai unfortunately will not be featured on our nightly specials, but you can count on French, Italian and American Continental wilth just a touch of the Carribean. Please feel free to call me (Tony) at 340-777-6277 to discuss how we may make your most recent visit not your last visit to OSFH.
Chicago, Illinois
“Best meal of our honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I read all the reviews before booking our honeymoon and the ones for OSFH are completely accurate. The service, food and ambience were the best we experienced all week. The Chef's Butcher's Block was fun and the service was completely friendly and welcoming. We also dined at Havana Blue, Mafolie and Caribbean Fish Market. They were all good as well but you can't miss OSFH.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fine Dining in St. Thomas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Everything we heard about the OSFH was true. The service was impeccable. The food was fabulous. The atmosphere was quite nice, but not too stuffy. The menu was interesting and the chef was clearly creative. The "Chef's Butcher Block" selections were superb as well. I had the venison and it was the most tender venison I have ever had - simply wonderful. The appetizers were superb as well. The wine list was quite nice although there are a lot of VERY expensive wines, but we were able to find three very nice wines well under $100 per bottle for our group of eight. Just a top notch fine dining experience - highly recommended!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Awesome service, delicious food, and a great setting. Melanie was a very informative server and very sweet. She gave us great tips for places to go and avoid on the island. The food was perfect! We were able to go into the kitchen and meet with a chef who explained the different dishes. We will definitely be back!