“were we prejusticed against?” 1 of 5 stars

Hall Place Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   313 South Green Street, Glasgow, KY 42141   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Glasgow B&B and Inns
chicago, IL
“were we prejusticed against?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We made reservation for romance suite at Hall place. Base on the description of the room we paid for, we were expecting fireplace, private bath and spacious room. We showed up at Hall place and no one was there to check us in, instead there was a note saying to call inkeeper. We called the innkeeper, Anna answered and insured us she was on her way to check us in. When Anna, innkeeper showed up, she told us ( we are interracial couple, black man and asian woman) we would be staying at a different bed&breakfast because of some unforseen plumbing issue? Why didn't she tell us that on the phone? is it because she didn't know we were black and asian couple? anyway we were directed to a different bed and breakfast 5 minuntes away, she put us in an OUT house! it was very small cottage, it looked like it was built as a car gararge. The room she put us in was nothing compared to the room we had paid for. it was small, no fireplace, noisey and no shower only bathtub. I felt the bed sheets were not clean we developed skin rashes the next day. Anna did not even showed us the house. We felt we were notat as guests but some random tresspassers. Totally disappointed. I never had bad experience at bed&breakfast, This is the first and we will not return to this inn.

Room Tip: if you are interrial couple, dont stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GaryC1960, Owner at Hall Place Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
My wife and I here at Hall Place and Main Street B&B do not discriminate against anyone. My wife and I were out of town when our part time, fill in Inn Keepers experienced and pipe to break in the Romance room and it leaking in the dining room below. They were frantic as they had no way of reaching me. They were out trying to reach my maintenance man to come and fix it. Our homes are historic and we aren’t ashamed to share the history. You were offered the cottage as it was the only room left. The Cottage is on the web site and there are two doors. The keyed entry is on the parking side and the door on the porch has only a lock in side. Most of our rooms are around 8x12 or slightly larger. This was the only room left to offer. I am a retired Military Desert Storm Veteran and I served with many men and women. I fought for your freedom as well as anyone else. No call received. We welcome all people as God welcomes all people. Jesus commands us to love one another as He loves us. Our world today has no place for hatred or fear. We are the United States. And God Bless you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was the worst traveling experience of my life. I have traveled all over the world. Japan Thailand, Paris etc... We were looking forward to an athletic and natural experience and instead got a taste of old school racist Kentucky.

We paid ahead of time on Priceline (big mistake) We got to the B&B on time and no one was there to welcome us. There was a sign on the door to call the innkeeper. We called her and she said of sorry i'm on my way,I'l be there in 15 min. No problem we waited. She got there and looked at our skin and told us oh, we have a plumbing problem we need to move you to another hotel. Why did she not tell us this before we got to the hotel? Why did she not tell us this on the phone? Also there was another couple staying in the same B&B at this time.

The inn keeper (Mary) then took us over to the Main Street location. There were some 'ol school' couples sitting in front of the hotel. We started to enter the house and were told oh no your not staying in the house. Your room is here. (An old out house looking building about 8x12) (Not shown in the picture because its so unsightly and small) The room was decent but not what we paid for. Even though she had just said the previous couple left the night before. We were told we had to stay in the back room and not in the main B&B. She also did not even offer to show us the main house or give us a tour. It was like she wanted to hide us as much as possible.

We were also told that we should use the back door not the front door. Exit out the back to the parking lot. I could not believe what I was hearing. These people had mindsets from from back when the B&B was built.Truly sad.

On top of all of this, we asked the Management to refund the difference of what we paid for and what we received. The declined. We paid for the bedroom in the picture with a fireplace and we received some old slave quarters in a fixed up out house.

I am African American. My girlfriend is from American Thai. We drive a nice car. We were dressed as normal professional people on vacation. I was not wearing a hoody, baggy shorts etc.... (Not that there is anything wrong with that) My point is, we received this treatment sole because of our skin color.

Over all, the people in Kentucky were great. We meet some really nice people and made some new friends in the diners etc.. people are very friendly and love to talk and chat here. But do not stay at the Main Street or Mall Place. These are ancient museums reserved for WHITES ONLY!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that your stay was interrupted by the misfortune of someone else. It is unfortunate that life can bring difficulties as to our water leak. Could you imagine working seven days a week fulfilling your American dream, leave for a short time and have such a mishap as this. Kentucky is a very diverse state and not to be confused as such as you have mentioned. I am from the west coast and have been accepted here with open arms. Priceline has nothing to do with this or your building anger inside. The innkeeper was out looking for the maintenance man to fix the leak. This innkeeper also happens to have a black son in law and grand baby she adores. The “Old out house” happens to be an old kitchen that was renovated into a room that has been one of our most liked rooms. All of our rooms have private bathrooms .Your key ring had a key to the main house in case you wanted to go in and sit in the parlor. We don’t “hide anyone as we welcome all races and people of alternative lifestyles. This “fixed up old house” happens to be a fully renovated historic home built in 1810 for all to enjoy. As I, being a descendent of the Cherokee tribe I to can understand that history cannot always be delightful but it must be preserved and revered as such out of respect. WE ARE ALL PEOPLE ONLY! God Bless!!!
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights staying at the Hall Place B & B very recently. We were driving across country, and this stay was wonderful! Karin and Gary are great hosts; Karin shared the history of the house (built in 1852) with guests after breakfast one morning. Abraham Lincoln is said to have attended the "housewarming party" when the house was first constructed; he was a cousin or some relation to Dr. Hall's wife. And the underground railroad made use of the long caves that pass under the house and head north.
I highly recommend the Hall Place B & B to families, solo travelers and couples like my husband and myself.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the king bed. It was very comfy. And the room itself was spacious.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

First off, if your visiting Mammoth Cave National Park than Glasgow is the town to stay in. It's about a 20 minute drive to the park, and, as an added bonus, it's only 20 minutes to Barren River Reservoir. And if your staying in Glasgow, Hall Place is THE place to stay! Hands down. Nothing else is even close (except for Karen and Gary's other B&B).
First off, Karen and Gary were excellent hosts. We had a snafu through the booking service that said service wouldn't resolve. A call to Hall Place, a talk with Karen, and the snafu was immediately resolved. Thanks Karen!
Second; the beds were comfortable and the rooms were quiet. Even at the best hotels I'll wake up half a dozen times through the night due to over hard mattresses, noisy heating/ac, loud guests, etc. That was not a problem here. I slept as well as I would have if I was in my own bed.
Third; the breakfast was spot on. Fresh fruit, waffles, french toast, scrambled eggs, juice, bacon. Crispy bacon. I am a bacon lover, and this bacon was done right. How can you have a bad day when it starts with a great breakfast?
Finally; this place oozes history. Yeah, it's a little cluttered, but time after time I found myself stopping to look at a picture, or read from a book, or play a quick game of pool with my daughter (yes they have a billiard table).

I liked it. My wife liked it. My thirteen year old daughter liked it (and you know tough that can be). And 3 out of 3 ain't bad.
If you've never stayed at a B&B before, this would be an excellent place to start!

Congratulations Karen and Gary! You get the first 5 star rating of anything I've ever reviewed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wesr Lafayette, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I were traveling through the Bluegrass state and were looking for a place to stay between Louisville and Nashville. We located the Hall Place B&B on tripadvisor and gave them a call. They were very accommodating and we got the room with the king size bed. The bed was comfortable, wireless internet was available and free. The shower was nice with decent water pressure. The breakfast in the morning was very satisfying and tasty. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it without reservation

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Beresford, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Hall Place very much! Gary and Karen were wonderful hosts. Our room, "The Theadosia Room", was beautifully furnished and comfortable. Karen prepared a delicious, filling breakfast and even had time to sit down with us and give us the history of the house, the area, and her own family connection with historic figures. So interesting!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Hall Place is a nice building with a lot of history. The rooms were comfortable enough but crowded with knick knacks everywhere and my room didn't have a window. If you love a B&B like that, this is your place. The owner is very welcoming but talkative! She will also give a history of the house, area and her family over breakfast. The food is good but really good have done without the lecture which went on and on.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GaryC1960, Manager at Hall Place Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We at Hall Place Bed and Breakfast always strive to make your experiance memorable. Our B&B has a large amount of history that 99.9% of all our guests enjoy learning about. All of our rooms have windows in them. The room you were staying in is our two bedroom suite with a private bathroom. One of the bedrooms have the door that you enter through and the other has a window, the bathroom is in the room with the window. This home was built in 1852 and has been preserved to maintain its period. It is not a hotel where you get a key and told where your room is. B&Bs are typically as a whole more than just a room. We value your experience and look forward to your next stay when you are in the U.S. again.

Been to Hall Place Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!