“Nice but needs upgrading” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kentucky Dam Village State Park

Save Saved
You added Kentucky Dam Village State Park to your Saves list
Kentucky Dam Village State Park
166 Upper Village Drive, 113 Administration Drive, PO Box 69, Gilbertsville, KY 42044   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Gilbertsville
Aiken, South Carolina
“Nice but needs upgrading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We held our family reunion at the lodge. Reservations were mixed up but desk got all rearranged. Pool was closed due to some problems. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Food was generally good and service timely. VERY user friendly for space in lodge for family events. Rooms adequate and clean but could use some updating. All in all a good value.

• Stayed July 2012
Ratzls, General Manager at Kentucky Dam Village State Park, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Inkblot_doc
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff here at KDV. We are continually working at showing the “southern hospitality” to everyone who stays with us. I will defiantly share your kind words with everyone who is a member of our team. In addition, let me assure you we continue to work at making sure we are relevant and of a quality expected by our guests.
Hope to see you return.

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Aiken, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Although this is an older property, the rooms at the resort have been updated very well. They are bright and clean with a comfortable couch, desk chair, and bed. The bath area is modern and clean. While the television is not a flat screen, the picture is clear and cable service is provided for almost 100 channels. Wi-fi internet service is available in each room as well as the resort lobby. There is a good restaurant that serves excellent, if simple, meals. Everything we ate there was terrific.

The reason we would give this resort four stars is that the outside of the rooms is not well taken care of. The grassy areas are more dirt than grass and haven't been edged in a long time; they look sloppy and untended. Each room has a patio or balcony facing the lake - a nice feature. However, these outside areas are dirty with dead bugs and clumps of dirt on the cement as well as the windows and window sills. They are so unpleasant that we weren't interested in using the chairs and table that were provided and we saw no one else sitting on their patios either. The outside of the lobby area had the same problems; just felt dirty and ignored.

Room Tip: Many stairs required to get to lower level rooms. Can be problematic getting suitcases in and out.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryannearch
Thanks for letting us know about your recent visit here. It is with responses from folks such as yourself in which we are able to assure we are meeting the needs of our guests. Thank you for your kind words regarding your accommodations. It is great you enjoyed our facility. I have shared your concerns about the cleanliness of your balcony/patio and the other grounds care with the staff directly responsible for these areas. We are continuing to address these concerns on an ongoing basis. With a warm winter and drought conditions, normally areas where grass would grow it appears to be dirt. However, we are working and improving our overall appearance. I would like to invite you back during a wetter season where 100+ degrees are only a distant memory to see our normal attractiveness.
Again, thank you for your review of your stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

If u want a great place fish kids of all ages love it here.You can get up early to catch fish then come back and relax at camp sight.great clean place swim and play with kids.Night fishing to catch them big boys.kentucky lake has some of the biggest cat fish Ive ever seen and I've been fishing since I was lil.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Kentucky Dam Village State Park, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Tonyadrake --- Thanks for your kind words and suggestion for staying at Kentucky Dam Village. You like many others have discovered the our comfort and location as being the place for a "fishing break." Hope to have you visit us again.

Stow, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We booked a 2 bedroom cottage (3 double beds, 1 and 1/2 bath) several months ago for a family trip to visit elderly relatives. Having stayed in the Lodge part several times in the past I knew things were needing some updating but overall it was clean and acceptable. This was not the case with the cottages, at least with the less expensive ones.

We Arrived at 3 pm and were told repeatedly by a young staff member that we were early and our cottage was not cleaned yet, and to come back in an hour, maybe 2. We had just driven 9 hours so this was a bit of a hassle, but ok, what choice do we have really. We called after 1 1/2 hours to find our cottage was ready.

We were assigned Cottage #108. We quickly ran in and dropped off our stuff. I did notice the carpet was stained and the furniture had a tear and looked dirty. I didn't realize exactly how bad it was untill later that night. I threw back the sheets and examined the beds and they looked clean, bathrooms upon first glance didn't have any obvious problems, so we headed out to visit family near by.

When we returned to our cottage late that night, and turned on all the lights, we then realized how dirty and rundown things really were. There were smashed bugs on the ceiling and walls. Dead bugs in all the drawers to the dressers. The bathroom fan did not work. Floor in the shower was stained and looked to be in need of a good bleaching. Kitchen floor was sticky and there was grime all over the handle of the refrigerator and freezer. Large cobwebs over most of the windows with months of dead bugs in them. The front door had so much space between it and the door jam we could watch moths come through for the light, and I assume other unwanted animals. The entire place had a musty smell and you could tell it used to be a smoking cottage. The door out to the dirty, bug infested porch wouldn't deadbolt so we placed a chair against it for the night. My 14 yr old daughter and I were up most of the night. She was scared and crying, I was worried about our safety and wondering if we were gonna get bedbugs. (I didn't see any but the overall dirtiness concerned me that we could bring some home in our things)

First thing in the morning I went to the front desk and told the woman of my concerns. I just couldn't fathom paying $119 a night when sleeping in my garage would have been cleaner. She was very accommodating. She did try to brush over it saying that the cottages are in the woods and some bugs were to be expected and she would tell house keeping. (The only thing that could help that cottage is a complete remodel.) She upgraded us to a different cottage (#146) which was much better. This cottage had been remodeled perhaps in the last decade it looked like, and had a clean smell. It was larger and I assume more money but we were not charged for the upgrade. This was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 4 queen beds total. While it had some minor issues, it was acceptable. We were much more comfortable here and enjoyed the rest of our visit.

I'm not sure I would gamble next time though on getting a good cottage or a horrible one. I think we will spend the extra money and just stay at Turtle Bay or Lighthouse resort.

The picture I am including are of the UPGRADED cottage. I was in such a hurry to get out of the first one I didn't take pictures. But we did notice it had someone in it the day after we moved cottages. I feel bad for them. Avoid Cottage #108 at all costs.

Room Tip: If you must stay in cottages call before booking and make sure your reserving one that has been upgr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Trtledov -- Let me start off by thanking you for your review regarding your stay. It is abhorent to me that anyone would be offered a stay in such a facility as you describe! I have personally inspected the cottage in which you started your stay. In addition, I shared your review with the staff responsible for maintaining our facilities. Rest assured, we have addressed each one of your concerns expressed and taken care of what is needed. I am glad our staff was able to find you a good alternative for the rest of your stay.
Please, understand we take reviews such as these to heart. All the staff here at Kentucky Dam Village are proud of what we offer to our guests! We strive to create the most satisfying stay possible. I personally do hope you return again and give us another chance to show you the southern hospitality we are known for....

Until then...

Columbus, Ohio USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We only stopped here one night while traveling through. We stayed in one of the lodge rooms and it was just ok. Clean and adequate, but in dire need of updating. The staff were quite helpful and friendly. Wonderful view of the lake from the lobby with a nice seating area. We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant in the lodge. The views of the lake from the restaurant are really nice and the food was good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
redrobin86 -- Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Kentucky Dam Village. I have shared your review with the rest of the staff. Thank you for your kind words regarding our service and hospitality. We at Kentucky Dam Village enjoy what we do and thanks for letting us serve you. Glad you enjoy the view from our lobby and restaurant. It is probably one of the better views of any facility on Kentucky Lake.
Hope to see you again.

Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I just got back from a stay at Kentucky Dam Village State Park. I booked a lodge room but was given a 1 BR cottage instead and all the lodge rooms were booked. The cottage was badly in need of updating and looked tired. Our bedroom carpet had a large patch in the middle of the floor with a large bump under it. The comforters and drapes were a 1980s design but were clean and in good repair. The kitchen and bathroom were okay. However, the sitting area in front of the cottage was very dirty. The chairs had what looked like years of dirt on them and they were covered with cobwebs. The building, eaves and sidewalk and porch were dirty looking too and needed to be pressure-washed. We stayed two nights and checked out and into a local resort that was clean, fresh, and had a beautiful view of Ky Lake. It wasn't a good value for the money and we probably won't stay at a state park again until they are updated and cleaner. Also, the food was tasty but overpriced.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms may be fine but I don't recommend staying in a cottage.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
LexWoman --- Just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review of your recent stay here at Kentucky Dam Village. We are always interested to hear from our guests and their truthful evaluation of their stay.
I am sorry to hear you thought our facility was not to the standards to meet your expectations. We pride ourselves in providing a quality stay for the pricing offered. I have shared your concerns about your stay with our staff. We will endeavor to address those issues at our one bedroom cottages you have raised prior to the stay of any future guests.
Again, thank you for your response and hope to have you back as our guest again.

Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We spent a Sunday night here to break up a trip across a few states. We love the Kentucky Park Lodges and this was no exception. Bed was comfortable and the showerhead and water pressure were strong. Only comment to the negative was that the comforter, curtains, furniture and carpet did not match. All were clean and in good shape but it was a big hodge-podge of style (or lack there of). Just remember, you are there for the beauty on the outside of the lodge, not the design of the interior of the room. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed in a King size room on the bottom floor of the lodge overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kentucky Dam Village State Park? Share your experiences!