“Fun, especially for kids, affordable and educational” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 5 Shopping in Frankfort
Butlerville, Indiana
8 attraction reviews
“Fun, especially for kids, affordable and educational”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Learn about KY and wildlife. Go to the ponds and look for fish. Best in the spring through fall.

Visited March 2011

Blacksburg, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Very Informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Volunteers and staff were very good in helping me find the files and books I was looking for and in suggesting others that might be helpful for me.

Visited October 2011
Blacksburg, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Gift Store”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Staff was very helpful in suggesting age appropriate gifts for my grandchildren and showed me where everything was

Visited October 2011
Cincinnati
174 attraction reviews
“History Comes Alive with Tour of Old State Capitol”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

The history center was great, but the tour of the Old State Capitol that leaves from the center was a real treat. The tour guide took extra efforts to make it worthwhile. She told interesting stories about the history of Frankfort and the region. This is well worth the visit.

Spokane, Washington
14 attraction reviews
“Great Museum - Great Facility!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I had visited the history center before to use the archives and do research in the library - which is fantastic.... but I had not been into the museum before. I was really impressed - it was very cool.

It took me through Kentucky history from early Native Americans forward. I started out looking at arrowheads, and continued to look at displays on religion, race, education, different regions, coal, farming/agriculture, music, sports and local celebrities from Kentucky! There were a ton of well made displays and lots of things you could touch and interact with which made it funner, and a lot more engaging, than a lot of other museums. There were also some displays you could walk through… like a coal mine shaft, a barn, a riverboat and a chapel! I think the interpretations were done well, and there were so many different aspects of Kentucky culture and history with so many interpretations that I really felt like I learned a lot – both about important historical things as well as just some pop culture… like Dollar General is a headquartered in Mt Sterling and Tom Cruise and the guy in all the Ernest Goes To... somewhere – movies are both from Kentucky!

The staff was friendly… but let me tour the museum without holding my hand – which I like… so I can go at my own speed. I really enjoyed it and definitely plan to return with the whole family, I know the little one would have fun with all the interactive and life size displays.