“Very interesting place to visit” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 30 things to do in Frankfort
More attraction details
Owner description: This memorial to Kentuckians killed in Vietnam is a giant sundial whose shadows fall on every name on the anniversary of that soldier's death.
lawrenceburg ky
19 attraction reviews
“Very interesting place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

This memorial is beautiful. I especially like that the builders created the sundial so that on the anniversary of the day of the death of the soldier the shadow falls across their name. Very moving. Must see when in Frankfort.

Visited October 2011

Louisville, Kentucky
19 attraction reviews
“KY Viet Nam Vet Memorial”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Just visit all the memorials for these vets no matter what state you're in!

Florence, Kentucky
16 attraction reviews
“I was here ..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Are you a vet as i am? Well this place will hold a spotin your hart as mine..

Willoughby Hills, OH
“A Trip I will Never Forget - Don't Leave Frankfort without a Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Several years ago, I was dating a man who loved to take "sput of the moment trips." We live in Cleveland, OH and used to flip to our national map where we had a circle drawn that would take us on trip no longer than about 250 miles or so. [Now with today's gasoline prices - this is being written in summer, 2008, with gasoline about $4/gallon - I'd probably draw my circle to take me no further than about 10 miles!]

We'd put our fingers randomly inside the circle and see who found the coolest place to visit and we'd be off by morning. Well, this particular Thanksgiving Week-end, he landed on Frankfort, KY and saw that Daniel Boone's grave was there - well, that's all he needed. I readily agreed - not even remembering that Frankfort was the state's capital.

We got there [the weather was simply TERRIBLE the entire week-end and we even got caught in a mini-blizzard and had a wonderful local farmer pulled our car out of the 2' snow drift...] but we had a week-end to remember. We took in the gravesite first, but my fiance immediately got sick to his stomach and said that he was seeing an apparition - an older woman - hanging around the grave marker. Well, this man had just been diagnosed with a seizure disorder and I was frightened for his health - AND HERE WE WERE ALL ALONE IN THIS HUGE CEMETARY - because no one in their right mind goes to Boone's grave on Thanksgiving day!

I walked him back to the car and the further we walked from the site, the better he felt. We checked into a quaint hotel and I was visibly shaken. The hotel receptionist asked if I was okay - I took her aside and told her about Dan's health condition and what had just happened. She smiled and said, "Oh, you folks were unaware that that grave is haunted by Boone's widow?" Well, no we didn't... I later told Dan and we were both very grateful because otherwise he might be heading into a set of seizures.

The next morning, the desk clerk asked if we had seen the Governor's mansion and the Vietnam Memorial. We said no - she gave us directions and within about 10 minutes there we were. I was absolutely shocked that there were no State Police within site of the Mansion (I'm in law enforcement) and the front door was wide open - we got within 75 feet of the entrance of the Govenor's home - and he was in town... Sorta' scary.

But we then thought we'd take 10 minutes or so to look at the state memorial built to honor Kentucky residents killed in the Vietnam War. 10 minutes? NO WAY!! We were there at least 1 hour - in non-stop snow/rain due to the AMAZING MONUMENT AND ITS INCREDIBLE FEAT OF ENGINEERING!!

I've travelled this country from "sea to shining sea" and I will never in my life forget this memorial. You have to see it to fully understand how it was created - built around a model of a "sun dial." The creativity of the artist (who I believe was assisted by an arcitecht) is nothing short of mind-blowing. I wouldn't wish anyone the death of a relative in that war or any other one - but if someone had to give their life to protect our freedom during the Vietnam War, they were very lucky if their home state was Kentucky! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE FRANKFORT WITHOUT SEEING IT.

Happy travelling!
Barb Calfee

Missouri
22 attraction reviews
“Moving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

A very moving memorial and very unusual. The sundial is set to touch the name of each soldier on the anniversary of his birth.