“Worth the Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Florence
Odon
“Worth the Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently stayed four nights at this Homewood Suites in Florence, Kentucky. We had a family of 5 adults and two children and stayed in a one bedroom suite. We found the suite to be roomy, clean and able to meet all of our needs. We had a full kitchen with dishwasher, full fridge, garbage disposal, two burner stove(electric) and a microwave. We used the pull out sofa bed in the living room as well. All appliances were in working order and had no issues with the room or any feature in it including the furnace/AC. The pool area was perfect as we enjoyed it every evening with our family. My little boy made new friends every night he went down to swim. The pool may have been a little cool for some but you got used to it in a couple minutes. The hot tube was roomy with a constant temp of 94 degrees. The towels on some occasions ran a little low because of the volume of people and all one would have to do is contact the front desk and more would be provided.

I did use the workout room and it was of average rate. There were three treadmills, one elliptical, one bike, and various bar bells of increasing size to 50lbs. The machines did have tvs on them and you had to get headphones from the front desk to listen to them, but they did work and were a good benefit to have while working out. Water is provided along with towels and a large flat screen tv is in the room as well. I would of like to of seen more weight machines of some sort but I was able to do my hour of cardio and some free weights when I needed to.

The morning breakfast was good but by no means over the top. Several hot items changed each morning and then you had a smaller choice of cereals, bagels, and toast if that was more appealing to you. Milk, juice and coffee were also available. It filled me up and met my need for the morning.

The high point and most appreciated item this Homewood Suites offered was the evening meal between 5-7p. Each night the meal rotated and definitely is something that this family has never experienced before at a hotel chain. I have been to a hotel where they serve evening snacks but never a complete whole meal with dessert and bottomless alcohol drinks for FREE!!! This "managers reception" is definitely alone worth staying in a Homewood Suites M-Th nights. The two beers on tap were Goose Island and Bud Light, there were also 3 different styles of wines for those who would rather sip on wine verses beer. The food each night was just fabulous and it was all you could eat. Definitely this meal each night saved my family atleast $75 on going out to eat.

The staff atleast to my family was helpful but not overly interactive. They could use help with their customer relations but I was never not answered or assisted when I asked. I would agree with other reviewers of this hotel that a "good morning" would be nice at breakfast but it isn't something that is expected.

Check in for us was simple and fast, no issues, no problems. Room was clean when we returned everyday from our activities so no issues with the cleaning crews either. I would gladly and probably will return to this hotel and I will definitely look for a Homewood Suites if we are staying anywhere throughout the week from here on out. This Homewood Suites definitely gave us the right impression for the first time staying in one. There is room for improvement, but that doesn't take away from the pleasurable experience we had.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Elgin, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed in one of the 2-bedroom suites. We are a family of five, and we had two grandparents along. A single suite allowed us all to stay together. The hot breakfast was good, not great. The evening meal was quite reasonable, and you do have a small kitchen if the meal is not to your liking. Overall, our family saved at least $50 per meal, making it a great value for us. The staff was helpful, but not overly friendly or approachable. The indoor pool was clean and available. The small exercise room had limited free weights, three treadmills, an elliptical, and a bike--all good equipment.

greenbacks
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This relatively new-looking property has a number of maintenance, security, and service issues that seem to be indicative of poor management and/or owner oversight.

1. Upon check-in, I informed the front desk clerk that I had two separate reservations: one on HHonors points for the 1st night; and one I was paying for out-of-pocket for the 2nd night. She said she understood, but only coded the keycards for 1 night. I had to make a trip back down to the desk when my cards didn't work the 2nd night. When I complained, a different clerk offered some excuse about having to check me out and back in for the 2nd night. (Even if this were true, why wasn't this explained to me at check-in?)

2. While at the desk for the above issue, I mentioned that the back door to the hotel does not lock. It's supposed to require a key card to enter, but it does not latch (see pictures). I was told that the hotel had "ordered some parts" but that the manufacturer kept sending the wrong ones. That statement indicates hat the door had been like this for a while; apparently, guest security is not a top concern for this hotel for it to have lingered for some time.

3. I also mentioned that my daughter accidentally used the wrong door trying to enter the building. The door she used is an external storage area door at that same end of the building. I told the desk staff it was also not locked (another security concern). I basically received a puzzled look. The following morning the door was still not locked. (See photo.)

4. In the early hours of the morning, a beeping noise woke us up. After getting out of bed and searching through our belongings, we figured out it was the room's A/C unit. I called the front desk and was told by the clerk that it beeps when the filter needs to be changed. Thankfully, she came up, opened the unit with a screw driver, hit a switch to silence it, and apologized for the issue. (If this hotel had followed a *schedule* to replace filters before-hand, we wouldn't have been awakened 2 hours before our planned time.)

5. Lastly, the morning we were packing to check out, I noticed the ceiling fan over the bed had two broken light bulbs with exposed wires. (See photo). I can just imagine someone reaching up to pull the fan chain and accidentally getting zapped. (Reported to the desk shortly before we left.) If their housekeeping staff followed the industry-standard process of turning on every light in the room to ensure they were all in working order each time they clean the room, this would have been noticed.

In summary, there were a number of issues - more than should be expected for a 2 night stay. However, the thing that stands out in my mind as the most egregious problem is the staff. Except for the apologetic clerk who silenced the beeping A/C, the staff seemed mildly annoyed throughout our stay. Even at breakfast, the workers never bothered to say "good morning" or otherwise acknowledge any of the guests. One of the servers stood leading against the doorway while staring off into space for a few minutes as guests continuously served themselves.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

When we arrived we asked to see the 2 bedroom suites. The staff was very nice to show us several of their available 2 bedroom suites and let us choose the one we wanted. The suite was so nice and had loads of room. The staff was excellent, very friendly and helpful to answer any questions. The person working the meals was also very nice and friendly. We loved that they had dinner in the evenings. That really helped with the expenses of our trip. The only down side was that the breakfast left a lot to be desired. It would be nice if they had more choices in the mornings. I would definitely recommend this hotel (it looks so new and clean) and will be staying here again when in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I stay here every time I'm in the area, when I can get a room (often sold out). Even when sold out they have been able to get me a room as a Diamond Honors member. On one recent stay I became very ill during the night. I supposed to check out that day but there was no way I could. They extended my stay and the staff even brought medicine, Sprite, and crackers to me. The staff here is great. The rooms are clean. The food is not great but it is free and okay for a quick snack if you don't want to go back out.
I've only ever had one problem, 2 time I've stayed I didn't have hot water in my shower.

• Stayed February 2013
Smyrna, DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on several occasions in the past 2 years. They are a nice option in the Florence area and their two bedroom suites offer lots of room for the money. Hot breakfast and limited dinner buffet included with the price. Beds have been comfortable and everything is generally is good working condition, but the hotel is starting to show some wear in the rooms. Two issues have cropped up in the last two visits: Bedspread on both occasions have had stains on them. I don't see how the management team allows these to be placed back on the beds, clean or not. Also, strong smell of cigarette smoke on the 4th floor, both coming off the elevator and in the bathroom (clearly someone trying to hide their habit). In any event, not a great lasting impression.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

When I am in Cincinnati on business and have an early flight out of CVG, I always check the availability at this location. The rooms are the best and new. They all have a DVD player and some have a deluxe full body shower. The breakfast and dinner are typical for Homewood. This hotel targets those with flights out of CVG.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Hyatt Place Cincinnati Airport/Florence
Days Inn Florence
Days Inn Florence
#13 of 26 in Florence
3.5 of 5 stars 466 reviews

Been to Homewood Suites Cincinnati Airport South-Florence? Share your experiences!