“Bring your hiking boots to this place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rough River Dam State Resort Park

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Falls of Rough
Rough River Dam State Resort Park
450 Lodge Road, Falls of Rough, KY 40119-6011   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Falls of Rough
“Bring your hiking boots to this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Well if you want to eat they say they close the buffet at night at 9pm but show up at 830 or your outta luck. No beer an food was at best mediocre. Rooms were decent but not 98 dollars a night decent. Stay at a motel nearby get better results.

• Stayed June 2013
Michael R, Manager at Rough River Dam State Resort Park, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
To pbone1:
I am sorry that you did not have a better experience than you had at our resort. The buffet should be as appetizing and good at 8:30 as it was when the dining room doors opened at 4:30 and it should be available until the stated closing time. We will use your comments in better training our staff. As for our rooms, we try to provide nice, clean and comfortable rooms at a competitive price. The views of Rough River Lake from the patios and balconies serve to enhance our guests’ stays. As for the beer, unfortunately, I cannot help there. We are a State Park Resort located in a dry county. I should mention, however, that there is new availability 10 minutes away, just across the dam, in the adjoining county. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future. M. Ricks, Park Manager.

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is an older lodge. I had a room overlooking the lake with a balcony. The room was quite large and had all the necessaries -- wifi, tv, phone, complimentaries, etc. It was not that clean and the furniture was not that comfortable but there was a decent buffet in the restaurant. If you look at this property as a part of nostalgia operated by the state and are not looking for a first-class resort, you will be satisfied. It fit my needs, but not much more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
To bestybo:
Thank you for staying with us. I also appreciate your comments. Rough River was built in 1962 and, while it has been thru numerous updates, it certainly is not a new resort. It is, however, a nice place to stay and enjoy the lake and the recreational opportunities on park. We are in the process of upgrading our 17 cottages and are working on the exterior of our rooms rooms right now. I took note of you statement that the room could have been cleaner. We formally meet with our staff every week and inspect rooms daily. We know that our rooms are not the most modern, but they should be the most clean. We will strive to improve. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope that you will honor us with a visit again very soon. M. Ricks, Park Manager.
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

So we were put in a "cellar dweller" room. We had a walkout basement type room. The decor and smell were outdated. We had to turn off the air unit because it caused an immediate allergic reaction, probably mold. I felt like i had sand in my eyes and had to take out my contacts. Our friends had the same issue but took it upon themselves after a long and miserable sleepless night to take the filters out of the air unit and wash them in the tub. The second night we left our air off and they said they had no allergic reactions after cleaning filters. Bed was worn out and was like sleeping on a bed of bouncy springs. The night left us exhausted and unrested. It wasn't filthy but everything was old, worn, and tired. The concrete patio and walkways were broken and chipped up. It looked like the wood on the exterior was rotted and needed replaced. All the rooms had a view of the lake which was nice.
Others in our group on the other hand, got a cottage. Wow! Totally remodeled! New, fresh, and clean! Very well done! They thoroughly enjoyed their stay. The exterior was freshly painted. There was a nice little deck for coffee in the back off the kitchen. It looked like some of the cottages had screened in porches. The nice laminate flooring was clean and new. There was a nice flat screen tv in the living room area. The kitchen was spacious and the kitchenware was new. Our friends said the beds were comfy and woke up refreshed and rested. It was very, very nice and wished we had stayed in a cottage! Only negative I could see was that the parking was not great.
The breakfast buffet in the lodge restaurant looked yummy with lots of choices. It was $7.95. I ordered off the menu, wasn't that hungry. The coffee was good. The staff was very friendly.
The game room had ping pong, foose ball, video games, and vending. There were checkers to play in the lobby. They did have a putt putt course as well. There was a pool but it was empty by the lodge.
They do have rooms for people with pets.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This part of Kentucky is like a wild old woman clothed in a gently used wardrobe that was fashionable not too long ago. So too this state resort park. The garden areas and lawns are overgrown, the sidewalks cracked, and the decor rather dated. But the natural beauty of the property and the loving care it has received over time insist on shining through.

Had I not stayed the previous week at a state park in Ohio, I'd probably given this state resort park a 5 instead of 4 star rating. The Ohio park was trim and spiffy, whereas this one was quite the opposite. I assume this was due to a combination of spring weather and, more likely, variations between the states in budget retrenchments, priorities, and allocations.

Visitors should be aware of two things: wi-fi and the new smoking policy. Wi-Fi is available in the main building and restaurant, but not in the rooms. Non-smokers will appreciate this: There was a laminated note in the room announcing the new no-smoking policy--"only in designated areas." It was placed right next to the ash tray. Double message? Well, apparently the "designated areas" for smokers included the room balconies--from which (trust me) the odor of smoke could penetrate all of the surrounding rooms. This is something I hope will change as the smell of smoke could ruin an otherwise pleasant evening overlooking the lake for non-smokers.

Service, however, was excellent. My lodge room was immaculate, though not generously stocked with supplies. I made a special disability-related request which was attended to promptly and cheerfully. (I also heard the desk clerk very skillfully respond to a totally inappropriate request from a self-aggrandizing VIP. Well done!) Adding to the ambiance was a blue grass banding playing on the porch.

The food in the rather "utilitarian" restaurant was country style--fried and heavy on the carbs--but a good implementation of that cuisine. I thought the prices for dinner and breakfast buffets were a tad high. Service was friendly and competent, though.

If you're looking for a getaway, this state park might be perfect. The drive alone is a vacation. For a stop-over, the drive is a bit of a detour off the main roads. I'll do it again, however, when I have the time to indulge myself--and IF the no-smoking policy is changed to prohibit it on the rooms' balconies--or at least confined to one of the six lodge buildings. (Hope you're listening, Kentucky!)

Room Tip: As noted above, know that your room might be next to that of someone smoking (with permission) on th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Terre Haute, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Really enjoyed visit we stayed in one of the cottages. It was clean, the only problem was that the furniture in the sitting area was really uncomfortable if you wanted to sit and watch TV in the evening. Also the coffee pot stopped working and my cousin loves to have his coffee in the evening. We called the desk at the inn and they said we couldn't have a new pot until morning and we were checking out in the morning. We did eat breakfast at the inn and it was excellent and because of the broken coffee pot the night before they did not charge him for his coffee with his breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sparta, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I spent one night here at Rough River. I found the room to be clean and very comfortable, including the usual amentities. I had amble access to wireless internet, even though the rooms are not attached to the main lodge. The staff were very helpful and polite. In fact, I can't find anything from this stay that would prevent me from recommending this place to anyone.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Florence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

An organization I belong to held it's annual event here. I found the lodge room to be very clean, spacious, and comfortable. The lodge has a 1960's feel to it, but that was fine with me. All of the lodge rooms have a view of the diminishing lake. One thing to be aware of. If you need to use a cart to wheel all of your stuff to the room, make sure you ask for an upper level room in which no steps have to be negotiated. The room we were in came equiped with a hair dryer, iron, and ironing board. It was a very cold January weekend of our visit and the heater kept the room comfortable. The restaurant was nice too! I'm not into water sports or golfing, but I would consider staying here again for some peaceful R & R.

Room Tip: Again, ask for a no step approach room if you can't do steps.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Still looking for a hotel?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falls of Rough
The Hatfield Inn 4.0 of 5 stars 23 reviews The Falls Resort & Golf Club 4.0 of 5 stars 15 reviews
View all 2 hotels in Falls of Rough, ranked by popularity

Been to Rough River Dam State Resort Park? Share your experiences!