“Beautiful, rustic, nice staff” 4 of 5 stars

Pennyrile Forest State Resort Lodge
20781 Pennyrile Lodge Rd, Dawson Springs, KY 42408   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Dawson Springs
Louisville, Kentucky
“Beautiful, rustic, nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The key to a stay at Pennyrile Forest State Resort is to have your expectations in line. It is not meant to be a 5 star luxurious resort. The cabins are very rustic but clean, quaint and surrounded by beautiful scenery. We recently went for a wedding and everything was beautiful. The food was delicious and the staff went out of their way to be nice to us. They were very kind and helpful. Take note - the regular check-in time is not until 4:00pm.

Room Tip: If you are interested in privacy and extra space, chose a cottage. If you are going for a wedding I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
DeSoto, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Pennyrile Forest State Park. Our lakeside cabin was perfect. The large windows gave us an awesome view of a lightening show, not to mention the beautiful view of the fog covered lake in the morning. It didn't matter the swimming pool was closed or that the lake was down so far that we couldn't use our private boat dock. The hiking trails were very enjoyable. What a great family weekend!

Room Tip: Cabin 514 on the lake is great. However, it is the farthest from your car. Lots of steps but defin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I made the trek out west to stay at PFSRP as part of my quest to spend the night at all 17 (18, if you count the shared Breaks) Kentucky state parks and was not disappointed. The original lodge is rustic and interesting, the rooms are comfortable, the view of the lake from the private balcony is peaceful and lovely, especially at sunset... There's not a lot going on out here in contrast to some of the state parks, but it's a lovely setting for rest and relaxation, which is really what our great state parks are for.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Our daughter and her fiance' were married at Pennyrile Forest State Resort in a beautiful outdoor wedding on 8/3/2012. The reception was to be held outdoors under tents that were set up the night before. Severe storms passed through the area and destroyed the tents not to mention all the rain! The park manager and event coordinator as well as all the lodge staff, pro shop staff and maintenance staff worked with us to get a last minute change of venue completed. It was no small task. The park manager allowed us to use the event room and we created a lovely indoor/outdoor reception setting that turned out absolutely gorgeous! Everyone was so kind, helpful and gracious! Our daughter had the wedding that she had dreamed of and everything turned out great! They even loaned us a basket to use for the flower girl when it was realized that the basket had been left behind at home and there was no time to go purchase another. The wedding would never have turned out the way that it did had it not been for the care and concern of the staff that the happy couple have a wonderful experience for their wedding day!

Room Tip: It is a country venue...beautiful setting...quiet and relaxing!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Pennyrile Forest State Resort so much! The resort is very secluded. Loved the private balcony and view from my room.

I was there with 2 of my colleagues on a business trip. We got together in the library room to unwind and download after a hard day's work. Very peaceful and relaxing.

Wi-fi worked great on my iPad and iPhone, but NO CELL SERVICE WHATSOEVER. We were in the middle of a forest, afterall, so I wasn't surprised.

Restaurant was average. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and got a good night's rest. I will definitely return when I'm in the area.

Room Tip: A lot of choices here...a room in the lodge (like a hotel) or a private cabin. No bad choices to mak...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Bloomington, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Guests are allowed to feed the animals outside their rooms which lead to my husband being greeted by a raccoon in the middle of the afternoon on the way to the room. In addition to that we had wild cats meeting us at our room waiting for us to feed them. Nothing like finding a pork chop laying on the sidewalk with flies obviously left by a guest for our wild 'friends'. Wasps are out of control outside the rooms which made it impossible to enjoy the deck with the scenic view. We had to kill a wasp in our room the first day there. Buffet was clean and good but the staff needed constant reminders to refill items.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Henderson, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I am so very upset at how we were treated this weekend at Pennyrile Forrest State Park. I dont know how to begin. My wife and I made reservations in advance to stay at the camp ground with our two little girls. We were never informed that the beach was closed. This was one of the main reasons we wanted to visit this park, so our girls could swim. Needless to say when we get there the beach was closed to swimming. We go to rent a boat so we can go out ont he lake and swim, only to find out they have a rule that you cant swim from a boat. What kind of moron is making the rules at this park? You cant swim from a boat on a lake? Really? Since we couldnt swim in the lake we figured we would try swimming in the pool. I go to the front desk at the lodge nad ask permission to swim, instead of doing what I should have done and just went swimming. I was told no swimming unless we ou guests at the lodge. At this point I was furious. They shut the lake down to swimming and then wouldnt let us swim in the lodge pool? My wife and I both are state employees and we cant even swim in a state owned swimming pool? Here is a tip to the genious running the website for the park. How about making people aware that your beach is closed and you cant swim in the lake. I do not suggest this place to any campers. The spots are very unlevel and are very narrow. The camp store, which was the place you had to go to to get golf clubs and balls to play putt putt, stayed closed more than it was open and when it was open the lady behind the desk was asleep. Needless to say I will never stay here again and I do not suggest it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pennyrile Forest State Resort Lodge? Share your experiences!