“Serenity and Beauty!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dawson Springs
Lexington, Kentucky
“Serenity and Beauty!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Pennyrile Forest State Resort so much! The resort is very secluded. Loved the private balcony and view from my room.

I was there with 2 of my colleagues on a business trip. We got together in the library room to unwind and download after a hard day's work. Very peaceful and relaxing.

Wi-fi worked great on my iPad and iPhone, but NO CELL SERVICE WHATSOEVER. We were in the middle of a forest, afterall, so I wasn't surprised.

Restaurant was average. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and got a good night's rest. I will definitely return when I'm in the area.

Room Tip: A lot of choices here...a room in the lodge (like a hotel) or a private cabin. No bad choices to mak...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bloomington, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Guests are allowed to feed the animals outside their rooms which lead to my husband being greeted by a raccoon in the middle of the afternoon on the way to the room. In addition to that we had wild cats meeting us at our room waiting for us to feed them. Nothing like finding a pork chop laying on the sidewalk with flies obviously left by a guest for our wild 'friends'. Wasps are out of control outside the rooms which made it impossible to enjoy the deck with the scenic view. We had to kill a wasp in our room the first day there. Buffet was clean and good but the staff needed constant reminders to refill items.

Henderson, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I am so very upset at how we were treated this weekend at Pennyrile Forrest State Park. I dont know how to begin. My wife and I made reservations in advance to stay at the camp ground with our two little girls. We were never informed that the beach was closed. This was one of the main reasons we wanted to visit this park, so our girls could swim. Needless to say when we get there the beach was closed to swimming. We go to rent a boat so we can go out ont he lake and swim, only to find out they have a rule that you cant swim from a boat. What kind of moron is making the rules at this park? You cant swim from a boat on a lake? Really? Since we couldnt swim in the lake we figured we would try swimming in the pool. I go to the front desk at the lodge nad ask permission to swim, instead of doing what I should have done and just went swimming. I was told no swimming unless we ou guests at the lodge. At this point I was furious. They shut the lake down to swimming and then wouldnt let us swim in the lodge pool? My wife and I both are state employees and we cant even swim in a state owned swimming pool? Here is a tip to the genious running the website for the park. How about making people aware that your beach is closed and you cant swim in the lake. I do not suggest this place to any campers. The spots are very unlevel and are very narrow. The camp store, which was the place you had to go to to get golf clubs and balls to play putt putt, stayed closed more than it was open and when it was open the lady behind the desk was asleep. Needless to say I will never stay here again and I do not suggest it to anyone.

Lexington, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed in a cabin on the lake with 5 family members, a trip we try to make annually. The cabin had a new couch, new lamps, and I would guess new beds. They aren't stylish but very comfy, which is enough for me. We caught the most fish that we ever had... bluegill, crappie, bass, but the water is so low that you can't fish off of your dock. The dock was literally 3-4 ft above the water! I know mother nature can't be controlled, and we still has a great time so I'm sticking with 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ask about the cabins before you go. There were 100 steps bet.. the road and our cabin, not good for...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

Every year for the past 5 years we have come to the Pennyrile Forest State Resort for our family Easter dinner. There is an expected wait for a table because it is so busy. But, there are things to do while you wait. They have a game room, and plenty of seating outside overlooking the lake, and they also have a shop to browse while you wait. The dinner is a buffet of just about everything from salad to special cut roast. The cost of the buffet is a little high, it cost $98 for 6 but, its worth the experience. The waitresses are very nice, The tables are covered with fine linens. China dishes and Sterling silverware is also used. After dinner, the park rangers have an Easter Egg Hunt planned for different aged children, and also picture taking with the Easter Bunny is arranged. The overall experience is very good!!

• Stayed April 2012
Siem Reap, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The dogwood are blooming! We spent a quiet, restful night at the lodge. Our room was clean and the water in the shower was hot. We enjoyed walking on the paths. The continental breakfast was good. They had some of the best Biscuits and gravy I have had on our trip. I enjoyed sitting on our balcony just listening to the sounds of nature. We are putting this on our list of places to return to. My husband had stopped here before and he wanted me to share in the experience. I'm so glad he did!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I had stayed here before on business and wanted to return with my wife. She was very happy to stay here. The lodge and cabins are set around a lake with trails and a golf course, tennis court, and bb court. The lodge cafe has good food and a wonderful view while dining. It's the kind of place that makes us want to return again.

Room Tip: The rooms have great views of the lake.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pennyrile Forest State Resort Lodge? Share your experiences!