“Highly recommend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dawson Springs
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Highly recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

We held are wedding ceremony at the Lodge this weekend (12/03/2011) in front of the fire place. The whole lodge was decorated for Christmas and was absolutely beautiful. The service as outstanding and we stayed 2 nights in a cabin. The service was very friendly and took care of our every need. I highly recommend this park as a getaway. Definitely no cell service and no wireless internet unless you are at the lodge. That would be my only complaint....maybe that is a blessing.....hmmmm.

Room Tip: Right now until Feb 2012 they have a special for second night for 1/2 price, excellent deal!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I went to the park for the weekend and had a great time. Please keep in mind this is a state park-so there is a level of "roughing it" involved. The park itself is beautiful with a nice swimming area and a place to rent canoes. We had a great time staying in the lodge and I loved reading on my balcony. This resort also had a nice pool and it was very quiet. If you want a nice inexpensive weekend close to home, this is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dickson, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Tell your family & friends you're leaving home and not to call as you will have no cell service! Yipee!! Yes, there are telephones if needed. Our mission... relax and NO STRESS = nature walks, photography, reading, swimming, canoeing, fishing, paddle boats, hiking trails, free continental breakfast, evening buffet.
Pets allowed in certain areas.
Beautiful flower gardens and numerous photo ops!
Oh, and I hope you have a GPS or map if you're not from the area.
We had a very relaxed, enjoyable weekend. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Second Floor rooms at Lodge provide convenient access to restaurant, garden, swimming pool & dec...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Beaver Dam, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

Not a lot of extras here. No cell service but the do have wi fi. Lodge restuarant has good food, continental breakfast could be better. Staff is nice

• Stayed September 2011
Brevard, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We were looking for a quiet place to stay on our way north on US41 (Pennyrile Parkway). Well we found it! This is a typical Kentucky State Park lodge. Nice clean rooms, friendly staff, views of the lake, large pool, home cooked dining. Of course, there is no action. For that, stop in Nashville with the crowds.

Room Tip: Ask for a second story room. These have better views of the lake.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I just came home from a trip to Pennyrile State Park in Dawson Springs, and overall, a nice time was had. We brought our 3 kids, ages 12, 8, and 6 and stayed at the campground, site #10 in a pop-up camper.

Here are the CONS we experienced:
The site was not level for placing lawn chairs around it. The fire pit wasn't even level and sitting around it in the evening was somewhat of a challenge. The site was paved, however, my husband still had quite a hard time getting the pop-up level at this site. There was a very rocky, dirt patch (no grass) off the pavement for our chairs. Luckily, it did not rain while we camped or it would have been a muddy nightmare. Cigarrette butts were everywhere from previous campers - which I felt was either poor ground maintenance/management or lack of funding for such. Weeds were growing all around the campfire ring. The bathrooms were clean, but there was no air conditioning -- there were approximately 5 small box-size windows that were cracked open. It was like an oven in there on a 90 degree afternoon. The showers were nearly unacceptable. The shower heads in the women's bath didn't appear to have been changed in many years. Keep in mind, this state park opened in 1954 and doesn't appear to have changed much -- AT ALL -- since that time. Firewood was pretty expensive (in my opinion) at $5 per small bundle.

Here are the PROS:
Staff was friendly. The lake is lovely and we really enjoyed the paddle boat we rented. At $6.50 per hour, I thought that was very reasonable. The beach was OK. Park rangers patrolled the area regularly, and it felt safe. I did see other sites that I thought I would like better. I just don't recommend site #10. The kids enjoyed the mini golf on site at the campground.

HIKING is wonderful here. My family and I enjoyed a 2.25 mile hike around the lake and through the forrest. The path was easy to follow, except for a few downed trees and some up hill climbs. I felt somewhat challenged, which is good! There are also other shorter trails in th park, but I did not get a chance to experience them. The lodge isn't anything fancy but it was nice. The kids enjoyed some of the old-school stand up arcade games from the 80's in the game room and I picked out some helpful brochures. We got lucky because they held Camper Appreciation on Sunday afternoon, and welcomed the campers to come and swim at the pool. My daughters loved that part. It was very refreshing on a hot summer day. The pool area was very clean, but the patio furniture could certainly use some updating. No shade, and only one table with an umbrella that was broken. From the pool area, you can enjoy an amazing view of the lake below.

We probably won't be back, but that's only because I know there are several other campgrounds we still want to experience and enjoy. Maybe someday down the road...many years from now. A trip in late October to see the dazzling colors of the forrest might be worth the trip. It you want a very clean, well maintained campground to visit, especially if you have a pop-up or a large RV, you will love Columbus-Belmont State Park. The views of the Mississippi River and the surrounding grounds are amazing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lyles, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed in cottage #508, which is the 1 bedroom cottage with a loft. It was really cute, rustic, and felt like a retreat. It has a fully equipped kitchen with plates, glasses, pots, pans, etc ... also has a stove, fridge, and kitchen table for 4. Living room has 2 entrances from outside. There is the main door and then a deck on the side that overlooks the lake from a wooded view. The open loft is a small space, but has a queen bed tucked away up there. Watch your head because the ceiling slants and I woke up and had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and about took my head off my shoulders. LOL.

There are alot of stairs. Climbing will be on your agenda. None of the cabins/cottages are wheelchair accessible (from what I could tell), I know ours wasn't. There is a fishing dock down on the lakeshore, but it is very hard to get to. The path is not people friendly and not created by man, but by nature. Be prepared to use roots as stairs. But once your down there, it is very peaceful.

The Lodge offer a great dining cuisine either from the buffet or the menu. I've had both and they are very delicious. There is a pool at the Lodge for overnight guests, but their is also a public beach set aside on a small cove on the lake. The lodge has a gameroom if you get bored, and all rooms and cabins have WIFI. Yay!!!

The only negative thing I have to say is that cell reception is not available, which bothered me at first, but I ended up really appreciating it and relaxing. Oh, and get gas before you get to the park. There aren't any gas stations near there and the closest town is Dawson Springs which is 10 miles away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pennyrile Forest State Resort Lodge? Share your experiences!