“Tranquil and relaxing but expensive food and spa!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maya Ubud Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Maya Ubud Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Maya Ubud Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Gunung Sari | PO. Box 1001, Peliatan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Exclusive Offer 40% OFF
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Peliatan
“Tranquil and relaxing but expensive food and spa!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for three days in March. On entering you feel like you're in another world - it's beautiful, well designed and would be great for some sort of romantic or bridal party getaway. It's about 5 mins from the main part of town by car and is definitely great for service. Ill list you the pros and cons...

PROS: You get free, decent, welcome drinks and the staff are always great! Buffet breakfast is fabulous and the hotel serves free afternoon tea daily. Pool has amazing views and staff give you free water whenever you come down for a swim. Rooms are large with balconies - we were upgraded for free to a room with two balocines overlooking the lush grounds. Internet is free (although reception can be very poor at times) and they have an hourly shuttle service.

CONS: The shuttle only runs until 5.20pm which means you're stranded at the hotel until dinner unless you walk 20mins from the hotel down busy roads or organise a driver. Not grear for elderly or unfit people. Taxis are no where to be found in the town so you would have to pick up a random driver from the side of the street which I tend not to reccomend. If you do stay at the hotel for dinner the prices are high and meal sizes small. We got room service one night and, to put it plainly, it sucked. I paid $8AU (plus 25% service charge) for a tiny crepe which was made to sound delux and plentiful. It definitely disappointed me. I had a similar experience at Hard Rock so probably stay away from room service wherever you go! Head to a local restaurant instead. Anyway... The Maya pool, although relaxing, wasn't great for sun bakers due to the hotels forestry location. I found myself having to lay on the ground in an awkward position to get some sun. But of course that isn't a problem for everyone! The only other thing I would say is that the spa is extremely expensive and you do find a lot of ants etc plaguing the rooms due to the forest type location.

Overall, id come back to the hotel for relaxation... but not for food, cheap prices or excitement.

• Stayed February 2013

961 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

After seeing the pictures of Maya Ubud online, we thought we would treat ourselves and pay that bit extra to experience what we were expecting to be paradise in Ubud. We arrived to see impressive grounds on the approach to the hotel, and what appeared to be a pretty amazing looking place. However, we soon realised this wasn't reflected in the room. It was cold, clinical and unwelcoming. White walls, no artwork and an unwelcoming turquoise tiled floor. The furniture was old, stale and worn. There were no personal touches whatsoever in the room, which really stood out to us after spending the previous 10 days in beautiful hotels in Bali and the Gili Islands which were less than half the price of the room in Maya Ubud. No fresh flowers, fruits, biscuits, welcoming messages... Nothing! We immediately felt disappointed, stressed and ripped off! The robes which were stowed away in a cupboard and not immediately easy to find felt unwashed and also came with a note on them with price details should we wish to purchase one! It was clear this place wanted our money... There was a spa bath menu in the bathroom in which you could pay 150000 - 200000 for a tailored aromatherapy bath in the room with flowers. This was complimentary in the other (much cheaper) hotels we had stayed in! We decided to persevere so had a stroll around the grounds, which were massive! After a 10 min walk and 1 elevator trip down to the pool, it felt as if our stay there would be an effort, not relaxing at all. The pool was however stunning, but very small given the size of the resort. After a long walk uphill back to our room, we checked out the spa brochure as we fancied a massage... only to be shocked by the sky high prices! We then found ourselves checking out alternative hotels to see whether the prices at Maya were realistic and in line with the rest of the hotels in Ubud... which it seemed they weren't. We noted down a few alternative hotels and hopped on to the free Maya shuttle bus in to central Ubud to check them out and also escape the hotel for the evening! Needless to stay the other hotels we saw were substantially better than Maya Ubud, at half the price too! We had to get a taxi back to Maya Ubud at the end of the night, as the shuttle bus service ended very early. We got back to our room, which after seeing the alternatives really felt like a tropical Travelodge. The toilet paper holder came off the wall, and we spent the night dodging the influx of huge ants which were crawling around the bedroom floor. We decided to leave in the morning, and made our feelings clear to the management. They offered to upgrade us to a better room, but it was too late. Being in the hotel just didn't feel right and we could wait to leave. After much pleading Maya agreed to cancel the 2nd night we had booked there, and we were refunded. I am not usually in the business of giving bad reviews, but we felt very strongly about Maya Ubud, and really wouldn't like anyone else to have the same experience. It is possible to get so much more for your money in Ubud, and even at the half the price of Maya you can find a true slice of paradise. After all, if you're having the holiday of a lifetime you deserve to have a perfect time wherever you stay, and feeling ripped off and uncomfortable should never happen.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I knew that this hotel was beautiful and luxurious but I was still not prepared for what I saw when we arrived. This hotel exceeded all of my expectations.

Located a little way outside of Ubud, once in the resort you can forget that civilisation is even near by.

We stayed in a garden villa which is well worth the expense as you feel like you are the only people in the resort.

The 2 pools especially the one down by the river are both beautiful and we spent a lot of time in the river pool.

We cannot speak highly enough of the facilities, and I would like to thank all of the staff for making us feel welcome and very special.

I would like to give special thanks to the staff at the Bedulu Bar for making cocktails for us, the restaurant staff for your beautiful service, and the pool staff for your assistance while we were at the resort.

I also need to thank reception who allowed us to reuse our room when the departure lounge was in use for a function, this was much appreciated.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Absolutely fantastic resort. Great service. Great pools, gym, yoga room. I loved it. Food by Australian chef is excellent. The only thing that lets this stunning resort down are the rooms. They are fine but nothing special.
I would return next time I went to Ubud.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel is set in a lovely, tranquil area and offers great facilities (though location-wise the town is unfortunately not in walking distance). It boasts 2 pools (one overlooking the jungle) and a good gym, as well as pitch & putt course (though you need to pay extra for this). They also have a spa, however the prices are extortionate. At USD69 for an hour's massage it costs 7x more than a massage elsewhere. I had a massage in the spa as well as one in Ubud town. There was no difference at all in the quality. The Maya spa has nicer massage rooms but only marginally – certainly not worth paying almost $60 more for.
We chose a superior room, which was nice however I'm not sure it was worth the price. The villas looked lovely though so if you can afford to stay in one of them I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. The breakfast buffet was also fantastic.
Overall considering the price we paid I think there are better options so I don't think we'll be back.

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying the extra money to get one of the villas
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed in a villa with its own little pool. The service was wonderful. We ate at the hotel, BKf and dinner 2 nites and had .excellent food. A beautiful setting.would love to come back. It was dark at night but they gave us a flashlight and were willing to jitney us back to our villa.

Room Tip: We came off season and they upgraded us to a villa. Great treat!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed only for one night. but I have the time of my life.. Perfect design, perfect weather.. perfect breakfast.. I just in love.. Actually i stayed on January 2009.. but I cant find the date, and after years.. I think about the best experience staying at hotel, and Maya Ubud definetely is one of them..

I Love it,. sure I'll coming back

Room Tip: Villa's or room.. you'll be happy!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Maya Ubud Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!