“A warm welcome” 4 of 5 stars
Review of East Sussex National

You added East Sussex National to your Saves list
East Sussex National
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uckfield, Little Horsted, Uckfield TN22 5ES , England (Formerly East Sussex National Golf Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Little Horsted
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bedford, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have now stayed twice at this hotel while visiting relatives.Despite its size it is a place where you can relax.The lounge and bar area is warm and comfortable and the menu ideal after a busy day. Rooms are comfortable and breakfast is substantial.The swimming pool looks amazing but that will have to wait until another visit!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Joanna N, Manager at East Sussex National, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for your post - come and visit us again and make sure you give the pool a try!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Birthday treat for him but was really enjoyable for the both of usI decided to treat my other half to a one night stay at the hotel the 12th of febuary for his birthday. When we arrived we were greated by some very helpfull people who offered to take our bags and show us to our room, although we did this ourselfs. we went to the health spa for a swim used the steam room and jacuzzi and this was clean and lovely. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and really enjoyed the quiet and relaxed atmosphere. All in all an amazing stay and will be back. Thank you :) xx

Room Tip: Club room either singel or double are lovely rooms. rooms on the ground floor make it quicker to get...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Glad to hear that your special stay with us was such a success. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed to attend a friends wedding reception. Very friendly and efficient check-in. Had a lovely twin room with great views over the countryside. The room was very spacious, clean and well equipped. The only thing missing was a mini fridge as bottles of water are provided but you can't keep them cold! Good hospitality tray with biscuits.
The public areas are gorgeous. We enjoyed a delicious cream scone and tea, served by friendly staff.
The wedding reception was brilliant, the circular room made it easy to see everything. The hot buffet was yummy. Might have been an idea to close the blinds so it stayed hot longer under the windows!
My friend and I slept well in the comfy beds. The bedroom was really well insulated no sound from the corridor or adjoining rooms. Individual temperature controls that do work!
Breakfast was well presented and had a good choice of cold and hot foods. The senior waitress was really lovely and looked after everyone with a smile. She arranged vegetarian sausages for my friend, which she said were delicious and 3 of them!
Check-out was as friendly and efficient as arrival.
Definitely recommend and if I get the opportunity would stay again as I didn't get the chance to sample the swimming pool, jacuzzi or steam room.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just come back from a three day two night stay here, unfortunately the snow cost us our golf, but the pro shop were wonderful, they gave us a voucher for the rounds we missed to be used within 6 months. We did not book direct with the hotel and were unsure of what our double room would be like, but no fears it was lovely. The staff are very helpful and the food excellent. The pool/steam room/Jacuzzi/sauna were put to good to use as we had no golf, never crowded. I would like to comment on the golf course but that will have to wait, we plan to go back. Thought we might have got bored due to the course closure but the time flew by. Only one slight sticking point we were not impressed with the cooked breakfast, but as we were usually the last ones down it may be that the earlier risers might disagree! Dining in the evening more than made up for this small point. The ice-cream for dessert I can highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had booked a couple f day break at this fabulous spa hotel. From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble. When we told the restaurant I couldn't have bread because of being a coeliac they promptly came back and told me what I could eat on the menu and produced gluten free bread. They even on one night made batter for the fish with rice flour so I could have fish and chips (have to say this was a brilliant dinner too).
We had a fabulous waitress called Emma, this young girl went out of her way to make us welcome.
Beds, comfortable rooms really good, even the standard room. Fair enough it was out of season and very very quiet. However we couldn't get an appointment at the very expensive spa.
All in all though a fabulous break.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We do a couple of golf weekends away a year and this was the best so far. Although the recent weather had been very wet, the wet conditions didn't spoil the course and the greens were excellent. The Hotel accommodation was excellent, large rooms, bathroom with large seperate shower cubicle, views of the golf courses (from the rooms, not the bathrooms). After playing golf the swimming pool, sauna, steam room & jaccuzzi was a welcome way to relax. The only downside was the price of drinks which were over £ 4 a pint, but as they were running a guiness promotion at £ 3.60 a pint this was too bad. Excellent breakfast in the morning. The staff at the golf club were very helpful making this a most enjoyable golf weekend.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions, but only to enjoy the convenient access to the 2 golf courses - I have refrained from submitting an actual review of the hotel as it is scarcely worth commenting on in the context of a golfing weekend.

However my main purpose of this review is to warn others of the nefarious policies of this hotel's management that allow it to rip off its customers at the point of booking.

When booking my recent break I was staying with 2 other friends, and we were anticipating the usual package that we have arranged in the past - two people to occupy a twin room, one person to occupy a double with single person supplement. However, I was told when booking that there were no twin rooms left, the hotel was extremely busy, and that we would therefore have to pay 3 single person's supplements. Taking this information to be true, and seeing no alternative, we therefore agreed to these conditions.

However, when we arrived at the hotel it was quite apparent it was TOTALLY EMPTY. The place was like a ghost town - no one in the car park, no one in the hotel. I asked the receptionist out of curiosity if they had any twin rooms available - she told me all of them! As one other reviewer pointed out, in fact, the hotel only had 7 out of 100 rooms occupied.

Upon complaining to Golfbreaks about this, they fed back a spurious claim from the management that the rooms can be reserved up to 6 weeks in advance, with cancellations permissible 1 week in advance. So, we were asked to believe that a fully booked hotel suddenly had all of its rooms released by cancellations just days before we turned up...The management unapologetically cited their above policy and refused to compensate me for the single person's supplements I consider to have been obtained under false pretences. Even if they wanted me to believe this story to be true, there was no offer of a goodwill gesture on the basis of my past loyalty - cough up and shove off seems to be the service ethic.

I note that the hotel management is keen on responding to tripadvisor reviews - I can see their reply to my review now - some self-important rebuttal that this is our policy and that that's all that matters. Perhaps, at the very least, they should consider making their reservations policy a little tighter - maybe ask for a sizeable deposit from these supposed hoards of people that left them with a totally empty hotel by cancelling at the last minute? That might make good business sense...but I know by reputation that good business sense is not something practised at the East Sussex National.

As I am now submitting a review for other purposes, I shall spare a couple of lines about the hotel itself - lifeless, sterile and unwelcoming; in ambience and service. The room keys keep failing to work necessitating frequent trips back and forth to reception. The food in the hotel restaurant is poorly prepared and over priced. The food specifically supplied for the golfing break is a dried up carvery not worth the strain on your stomach (after sampling both options in past visits, we have since always eaten outside of the hotel). On my recent stay I was booked into a room that hadn't even been made up from the previous occupant. The hotel also seems to these days be playing host to Uckfield's local escorts - my friends and I were somewhat astonished to observe a middle aged gentleman greeting 2 scantily clad young women who arrived at the hotel around midnight, who had a very brief drink with him before the 3 of them retired to his room.

I can see why people overlook the hotel's shortcomings and stay here for the golf - and I have done so myself in the past. I have also been aware of the poor service and the lack of customer care exercised by the management. However, I draw the line at being ripped off in such a petty fashion, and cannot recommend staying somewhere else highly enough

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to East Sussex National? Share your experiences!