“House Keeping was asleep at the wheel” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Discover Cincinnati
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Cincinnati, OH
“House Keeping was asleep at the wheel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

Bottom line: stay next door at the Embassy Suites. Our first room the toilet didn't work - it looked like the handle had been jimmied - I had to assume that housekeeping either didn't report it or they didn't clean the toilet. In the room where we stayed, my wife pulled back the covers to sit on the bed and there was a huge (6inch +) stain on the sheet - you would have had to have been blind to put those sheets on. When we came back to the room my wife had a headache. Asking for Advil at the front desk, we were charged for them - I felt nickel and dimed especially at the price I was paying for an off night. The Westin I stayed at a few weeks before gave me a complete kit for free when my luggage was delayed. At breakfast one of the silverware roles was covered with black gunk - how could you roll that knowing that someone would be putting it on their face?

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
INDIANA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was one of the more clean and comfortable hotels we have stayed at recently. The rooms were not immaculate, but clean. Beds were every comfortable! Elevator access from the parking garage was confusing and very inconvient with small children, but we managed. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was just ok, a little over priced, and the hostess was vey rude and awardly unfriendly. So I would recommend eating some where outside of the hotel. This hotel is ina very convient location to Cincinnatti and New Port attractions. I recommend the Museum Center at Union Terminal and the Newport Aqaurium. These attractions make for a nice weekend trip with the kids! I recommend this hotel, but don't pay the average rate of ~$169 a night! We paid about half that (parking included) and that was the perfect price for this hotel, pay more and you will be dissappointed.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

The rooms at this hotel were very nice. Very comfortable bed! Lots of big, fluffy towels. Somewhat weak hairdryer - - I do wish that they would put a full size hairdryer in each bathroom. The room is well decorated with a flat screen TV. The bathroom has a very attractive dark wood cabinet under the sink. The bathroom is a bit on the small side, but quite acceptable.

We had a late dinner and drinks at the lobby bar, which was great. Tasty soft pretzels and burgers/fries.

I can't comment on the location of the hotel as we got in late one night and were out early the next morning. But, the hotel itself is very nice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
boblesville in
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Staying here now. Large flat screen tv. Huge comfy bed, pillows. Clean all non- smoking rooms. Greeted immediately by staff. Restaurant had good food and a nice, efficient waitress. Rooms recently renovated and they are really roomy and bathroom had the amenities like at a Hilton I stayed at recently. LARGE bottles of Evian water in the room only $3 so a very fair price and nice to not have to hunt for something although beverage machines just around corner on our floor. Great view of river and baseball stadium complete with fireworks!! And a quiet atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

First, let me say that our complaints were handled appropriately. When we arrived, the bellman did not greet us and offer to get us a luggage cart. I had to ask and he got us a cart, but did not offer to help us unload. Instead, he went and helped someone else. When he returned, we had all of our luggage unloaded (2 women and 2 teenage girls) and I made a comment about him not helping us. He didn't apologize, he just said he would have our luggage right up. We checked in, got to our room and 10 minutes later.. no luggage. I called the manager to complain and was placed on hold for what seemed like a long time. I hung up, and called back and instead of the operator answering, she just placed me on hold. I went to the desk and talked with the manager and she apologized and provided us with free breakfast coupons for the next day.

I went back to the room, happy with the resolution only to see that the window curtain had fallen - we hadn't even opened the window yet. I then sat down and saw all sorts of stuff on the windows - inside of the windows. That wasn't a big deal. Then, I got in the shower, only to find mold on the inside of the shower curtain. I got my towel out of the new cabinet (recent renovations) only to find a used q tip. Gross. I was getting a little frustrated with evertyhing but didn't complain. I went to bed and the beds were hard as a rock, seriously. There was a pillow that was really for decorative purposes - too big to use and a tiny pillow - again too small to be worth using. The cases were dirty on the large pillows and they smelled terrible.
As a was lying in bed, I could see dirt from where the air comes out of the wall - one look at the air intake and you could see why. It was filthy.
The next morning, I got the ironing board out and it was broken - it wouldn't stand up. I called and asked the manager to come look at our room. The manager on duty agreed and adjusted our room rate appropriately.
Breakfast, while free, was not good. The service was fine, the food quality, taste and selection were just terrible. I almost forgot - we went to the bar to order a snack. We had the beer cheese soup and it was wonderful.
The other major problem with this hotel is that it smells like mold, especially around the water fountians. They tried to blame it on the river, but the convention center doesn't stink, so I find it hard to believe that it is the river, especially since the smell is the strongest next to the fountains.
While they are doing some rennovations on this hotel, they aren't keeping it clean. That's basic to me ... and a comfortable bed.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

We enjoyed 2 nights here overlooking the river, nice rooms, comfortable beds. It's within walking distance to the Great American Ball Park. The restaurant was being remodeled, but the breakfast buffet was still very good. Only problem we had was that we couldn't find the pool. They need better signage.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Regular Marriott traveler here and there are some good points and bad points to this hotel... Self parking in the garage is fairly painless. Yes, you have to take two elevators but the wait is minimal and once you get the layout down it's fairly simple. The lobby is very nice, as are most of the public areas. There is construction for the restaurant, but it is unobtrusive and the lounge is front and center in the open area of the hotel. Not a bad set-up. The riverview room with balcony had decent size, average or above average for other Marriotts. Room was clean and stocked with bathroom accessories. They do have flat screen LCD TV's now, 11 of 15 floors have been updated/renovated. The staff was fantastic! By far, this is their strong suit. Everyone was kind and so willing to help. I can't give them enough credit in this aspect.

The biggest negative was the pool... it is now open after rennovation. We got a chance to head down there one afternoon. The access us through the fitness center and the signage is non-existent. After three attempts and two access card re-programs, we found it! It was pretty warm, about body temperature, which was OK, but not as refreshing as it could have been. The hot-tub was near by, but still under rennovation. While we were swimming, a lady came in and tested the water with a chemical kit. She said that she was from the health department and that she reccommended we leave the water due to it not being clean. She said that there was no chlorine in the pool, which meant that the water was not sanitized and could carry nasty stuff in it. She also told us that the health department is always shutting the pool down at the hotel because they do not use chemicals to keep the water safe for guests. How disgusting, and if we hadn't run into her we could have all gotten ill. She told us that she was going to call her supervisor at the health department and get the pool closed once again. We never went back, but did see people swimming over the weekend. Not sure if the pool was ever properly treated, but we didn't want to risk it.

Another issue over our stay was that the access cards had to be reprogrammed a few times. Once for the room, once for the concierge level, and lastly, for the pool. Not too big of a deal and the wait at the front desk was fairly short, but why not program all of the features in the card from the get-go.

Speaking of the concierge level, it is open until 10:00 for breakfast and business center resources. We got there on friday morning at 9:45 and the concierge had already taken the hot breakfast away. There was still juice, cold cereal, fruit, granola bars, muffins, etc...Not bad, would have liked to been able to use this on the weekend, but it is strictly a M-F type of deal.

Overall, I would stay here again. The staff is the best around and more than makes up for any of the shortcomings elsewhere. Once the rennovations are complete and they take care of some minor problems, this should be one of the top hotels in the Cincinnati area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Cincinnati at RiverCenter? Share your experiences!