“Good place to stay in the Cincinnati area” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast on us!
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Bryan, Texas
“Good place to stay in the Cincinnati area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed here for when I had business in downtown Cincinnati. Nice lobby and friendly staff. A great feature of this venue is that there are abundant eateries within a block or two. Nothing fancy but adequate for me as a solo business traveler. If you get a north facing room the view of the city skyline is pretty cool.

Next advantage is the ride into and out of downtown Cincinnati was without congestion or hassle. You take the I-71 Brent Spence bridge over then back across on the US 42 CW Bailey bridge... couldn't be easier.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have better views.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
GMCourtyardCincy, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cincinnati Covington, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and staff. I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed 2 nights over the weekend for the Bengals game. The room was nice enough with two TVs and a living area. The train noise has been mitigated by double windows but avoid the Riverview if you are a light sleeper as the bridges is where the trains cross the river too!
The day of the game the lobby was taken over by a family celebrating (maybe a birthday). I'll go with the cake and pizza but beers into the late hours coupled with the screaming/cheering a NFL game was a bit much every time you enter 'their' area.

Stayed December 2014
Thank you for your valued feedback. I'm happy you enjoyed your room; however I am sorry about our busy lobby. If you would like to further discuss, please do not hesitate to connect via email or phone.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First of all, the area of town is not bad at all. I kept reading that in other reviews, but I didn't see it that way. This hotel is situated about 2 turns away from the onramps to get back into downtown Cincy. Very convenient.
What you don't see in pictures about the area and the outside of the hotel:
There are two gas stations one street over by the on ramps.
There are two other hotels right next door.
There is a McDonalds right across the street. A burger King, a taco bell, a big boy, and then literally RIGHT in front of the hotel is a White Castle. That last one is a bit awkward as it looks like it should be the hotels parking lot, but no, there is a white castle and a drive through there, and the entrance to the hotel is back behind that.
The hotel entrance and pull up area is a little awkward. You pull up, but to get back out you have to make an immediate U-turn type of left and cicle back out the same entrance, due to a wall thats built to separate the white castle. There are paint scrapes all over that wall... as its a pretty tight turn.
The hotel has a very nice on site, FREE parking garage. That was a perk.
A few downsides though. It does not connect into the hotel at all. You have to come outside again to go into the front door of the hotel.
The garage is also key carded. Thats right, you can only access once checked in and with your room key. I understand this is good for security and keeping spots reserved for guests, but its bad if you are having someone come visit you or pick you up, and they can't park their car.
A family member parked next door at the holiday inn and walked over.

The hotel was recently renovated I guess.
The lobby is beautiful. The desk staff was friendly and helpful.
The hallways are even clean and pretty.
But once in the room, the charm really wore off for me.

Some previous guest photos are accurate. So in a way I knew what I was getting.
But sometimes its hard to really picture it until you are there.

You walk in, and the first thing you see is a small closet with mirrored doors. except these are pull out doors, split into 4 panes, and they are trimmed in gold. They looked ancient, and the closet was too small to even fit my suitcase, and definitely not the wife's.

Directly across from the closet, right next to the door, is the sink. Such a strange location. Its a very small sink with almost no counter space. My stuff ended up on the floor under it, as it wasnt enough room for 2 people to really use. Also the floor under the sink was carpeted. Strange choice again.

Next to the sink was the door into the toilet and shower room.
it was a very big room, with the toilet way in one corner, and the shower way on the other.
The lighting in here was... averrage at best. One light, with a gold hue to it. It made it feel very dark. To make matters worse, they wallpapered it with a dark grayish brown. The floors had not been touched in the reno, as it was very old tile and the grout was black. The shower was also older with a gold/yellow slab sides. They also used a shower liner that was closer to opaque than clear, which is fine, but it just added to the darkness of this room and shower. The tub bottom was gritty. It may have been an attempt at an anti slip coating, but felt like sliding on sand paper. There was a lot of dirt and dust in the corners of the floor by the toilet, and I dont think it was swept very well. Wife also found a weird brown smudge on the side of the toilet by the handle. We both absolutely hated the bathroom in this hoteland spent as little time as possible in it, and that really dampned our stay to be honest.
It was mentioned in a previous review the linens smelling too much like bleach. I did not notice this with the bedding, but I did with the towels. I pulled a hand towel off the rack and the smell was very strong. I guess at least we know they are clean.
In an attempt to say something positive, the shower head and water pressure was very nice.

The bed was nice. We both slept great. Clean and comfortable.
The train did go by numerous times, and yes we heard it, but it was far from annoying or disruptive. We were on the front side of the hotel, closer to the holiday inn side, so further from the bridge. While exploring, we noticed how close the bridge is to that other side of the hotel and the parking garage, so I can imagine it would be worse on that side of the building. They had a sign in the room saying if it bothered you you could ask the desk for some sort of goodnight package.

The rest of the room was clean. Large. It had a sliding glass door with a balcony.
One wall is wallpapered with a big mural that you can see in pics.

I mentioned before that this place was renovated recently. Im going to be blunt in saying this, whoever designed this, failed miserably. There is almost nothing in this room that is a square, or normal shaped. And its not for functionality, simply a design. You can tell they were going for this retro feel, almost futuristic, so that it would be hip and cool in the coming years, but frankly, it feels even MORE dated now, and straight out of the 70s.

All of the lighting has a fluorescent feel to it, and is anything but homey and comfortable.

The nightstands are fixed to the wall, with a big mirror atached. the lights are attached to the front of the mirror, splitting any view in half. One small drawer. They built the outlet into the middle of the nightstand. two plugs and a usb charge port. The USB part is a good option but it made huge mess of cords being in the center of the stand.

There are no headboards. This threw us both off almost instantly.
Instead they are using these foam blocks that move around like pillows.
I see this being an issue in the future.

There is a large chair/couch in the corner of the room.
This thing is so unattractive. Its a half circle or moon shaped
Oddly colored with some throw pillows on it.
I will say though, that it was very comfortable to sit on to watch tv.

They had a second smaller, yet also round, type of chair int he corner with a little table.

The Desk side of the room....
The desk chair was very strange in itself as it was bright metallic silver. Again an odd choice.
One end of the desk had two small, very small, drawers. The other end had a door with a small fridge inside. In between was a weird curved desk with a pull out table under that. One end was narrower than the other. The sides were angles. Even the drawers werent square. Its like they tried to use every kind of shape but square.
Maybe im old fashioned but I don't get it.
At first the whole room, except the bathroom, was sort of fresh and new, but the longer we were in it and looking at things, the less we liked it.

I think we could have chosen worse for the area, but I think we will look elsewhere before coming back to this one.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
GMCourtyardCincy, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cincinnati Covington, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for the positive feedback. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with our lobby and staff; however I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room and the cleanliness. In order to use this information to enhance our guest experience, I would like to connect with you via email or phone to discuss. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at this hotel in December of 2014. It was a nice hotel. I did have some problems with my stay. I called and emailed customer service. The GM never got back to me. I was very disappointed that I did not get a call or an email or anything. It was like no one cared.

Anyways, Ill be staying at the Hilton the next time I come to Cincinnati for business

• Stayed December 2014
GMCourtyardCincy, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cincinnati Covington, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you very much for your valued feedback and would like to connect with you via e-mail or phone to discuss.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Jack Brandt
jack.brandt@marriott.com
859-491-4000
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This Marriott Courtyard is across the river from Cincinnati. The location is close to the city by car or cab, not sure about walking. Nice hotel, clean big rooms with a lot of workspace and out lets for charging gadgets, laptops etc. One minor quirk in the room is the position of bed to the TV. The TV faced a small couch and was at an angle to the bed, making it hard lay in bed and watch TV. Probably not a bad thing as I think about it.

There is a good business center downstairs and the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The hotel is surrounded by fast food places, not very quaint. A 10 minute walk will take you over to the Village where there are more restaurants and Pubs. I would stay there again, but if you want to be able to walk to downtown, I would stay on the other side of the river.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were pleased with your room and our friendly staff. See you again soon!
Lexington, Kentucky, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed one night all staff and evening Manager polite and courteous . Lobby , room very neat and clean . Quiet even with train track nearby. Nice view of Cinn if you request room facing river. Only small complaint is AC , when on , during night , vibrated cover , annoying when sleeping. Overall excellent , will return.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your valued feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and our staff; however I am so sorry that the AC system disturbed you while you were sleeping. If you would like to further discuss, please do not hesitate to connect via email or phone.
Larnaka, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We loved the location of the hotel, though next time I will ask for a room with a river view. The lobby atmosphere was very cozy, with the fireplace going.. the bistro was closed because we were there on Thanksgiving, but they were nice enough to send me an email and let me know ahead of time, so we were able to make other plans.. The room was very spacious, with 2 queen beds and a sofa. Nicely decorated, updated and modern. The only slight problem was that there was some debris in the tub but it could be just residue from cleaning earlier. There was a sign in the room about a train going by at night. I don't remember seeing this bit of information when I was booking the hotel, but in any case, with my earplugs on, I did not wake up once during the night. My husband said he did wake up a couple of times because of the train going by. Breakfast was not included, but maybe because of the holiday.. At $130/night (including taxes), I do wish breakfast had been included..There is a Waffle House right next to the hotel, so one can get breakfast easily, though for a family of 4, it will cost about $30. One last thing, my son forgot his phone charger and we called them to let them know, and they did call back to let us know that they found it, which was nice. Would I stay here again? Yes, I believe I would.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your valued feedback. I am pleased to hear that our staff was able to help you with your sons missing phone charger; however I am so sorry that the train noise woke up your husband. I hope you will visit us again so you can experience one of our river view rooms.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Cincinnati Covington? Share your experiences!