“Safety, Service and Issues with Noise: Do Not Recommend” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Safety, Service and Issues with Noise: Do Not Recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I came to Cincinnati with my son for a WEEK of medical appointments at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. Initially, I unknowingly booked a hotel that is 30 minutes from the Bernet Ave. location of Cinci Children's and closer to another campus of the hospital. Therefore, we needed to change hotels to be closer to the Bernet location. After calling Holiday Inn Riverfront, in Covington, KY, and explaining our situation, the manager was very nice and even agreed to give us free breakfast each morning since we were receiving free b'fast at our previous hotel. After reading reviews I expected the hotel to be nice because it supposedly won some type of remodeling award. I was very disappointed. A popular quote in '08 was "...putting lipstick on a pig." That's the way I felt about this hotel. It looked as if they painted and put down some new carpet. Otherwise, nothing impressive, just average (3 star AT BEST). I had many complaints regarding safety and service: (1) The first morning we awoke in the hotel the fire alarm started sounding throughout the building. My son and I immediately walked down to the lobby from the 4th floor. On the way out we asked an administrative-type employee, with a walkie-talkie what was wrong. He said he didn't know and continued walking past us. Never urging us to leave for safety purposes. When we got to the front of the hotel, it was clear that no guests were being evacuated. Yet they did not know if there was/was not a fire in the building. Working in government and other public places throughout my life, I have never seen a situation in which a fire alarm goes off, continually (for at least 15 minutes) and no one is evacuated from the building. What a safety issue! (2)The only morning we ate breakfast here, it took almost 10 minutes for ANY employee to emerge from the kitchen in order to get us something to drink. I finally had to go to the front desk and they called the kitchen (there were approximately 8 other customers in the restaurant at the time. We had appointments and didn't have inordinate amounts of time to wait around. After we finally got service, it was my understanding there were not enough employees in the restaurant/kitchen and the one waitress was pulling double duty. Terrible service! (3) Every morning someone comes and slides a newspaper under the door. You might think "Well that's great! A newspaper!" It would be great if they didn't wake me up, every morning, sliding the paper under the door. 3) I asked that the paper NOT be placed under my door. The manager insisted he would make sure of it. But lo and behold, the next morning and the next, they woke me. Yet other papers were in the hallway, not under the door. We even placed a towel at the crack. They kept shoving until the towel was moved! 4) On our final night we wanted to make sure all of the charges were paid and we would not have a delay when we were leaving. The female desk clerk was rude and curt 5) The hotel is RIGHT BESIDE a raised TRAIN TRACK and Interstate 71/75. (6) There were hairs in the shower (7) There were a lot of "shady looking" people on the streets and the hotel is just a few blocks from an "undesirable area." (8) I wrote my first review before the end of the last night of our stay. Had I known I would fall in the bathtub due the fault of the hotel, I would have waited to write this after I returned home. I was in the shower (bathtub/shower) shaving my legs and merely held the bar in the shower to readjust my stance. As I did, the ENTIRE BAR came OUT OF THE WALL. I am not obese and I did not grab the bar with force...it was only secured with a screw approximately 1" long (I have pictures to prove it!). I was not injured but this could have been very serious. I could have hit my head or seriously injured myself. This was a serious safety violation! There was absolutely NOTHING SPECIAL about this hotel. I found the service to be slow and don't believe there were enough people working at the hotel to properly maintain it. I would NEVER stay at this hotel, again. I did not feel safe and was not relaxed and comfortable. There are many other hotels for near the same price, in the same area that I wish I had seen prior to this one. I did not see the Marriot Courtyard just next door, but I would certainly look at it before I EVER stayed here again. P.S. I have been a member of tripadvisor for approximately 6 years and traveled all over the US and Europe. This is the ONLY NEGATIVE review I have EVER WRITTEN!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
NORTHERN MICHIGAN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

We have stayed at this property 2 times and really like what we see. Rooms have been updated and staff goes out of their way for you. It is located just off I-75 and they offer free parking . The transit system shuttle stops in their lot . This property is clean, neat and we meet friends there each year . They have a restaurant/lounge on the property as well as a outdoor pool . It is about a 5 minute walk to some great restaurantsand shops located on Covington's Main Strausse . We are already planning another weekend in Covington and do plan to stay at this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

I stayed overnight with 12 other staff members. I had low expectations, for we were looking for something simple that wasn't going to break the bank. In the end, the hotel came through.

Great service at the front desk....forgot the gentleman's name, but he worked late the night of April 16th. He gave us some great tips about the nightlife there. Really, the only area worth going to in walking distance is the Main Strasse Village. A number of great German and English pubs in the area.

The hotel is right across the street from a Waffle House and Skyline Chili, which both had some questionable characters eating there. Not too many good food establishments nearby, aside from fast food. As far as food goes........you're better off headed to the nearby town of Newport. We found a great Mexican Restaurant called Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant that had great, authentic, cheap, and huge portioned food! Loved it. You'll need to drive to this area. The bartender working at the hotel that same night was very helpful with directions. Plus there's other restaurants in a more touristy area near the river.

The rooms were clean.......remodeling was evident, but nothing fancy. The hotel smelled a little musty.........maybe a lot of smoking rooms nearby, where I walked? Not sure. The only thing that disappointed me was that there was no free breakfast included with our stay. I dropped nearly $900 on 7 rooms and I still had to pay $12.99 for a breakfast buffet, per person. That hurt. The food was ok, but not worth that price. If it wasn't for that, I would have given the hotel 5 stars, for it was generally clean, had a good location close to the interstate, and the service was great.

Franklin, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

I stayed here for a business meeting in downtown Cincinnati. A co-worker recommended that we stay here, but was nervous about recommending a Holiday Inn. I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel.

It's nicely renovated, and won a Holiday Inn award for top renovation. The front desk staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. My room was very nice and clean. The bed was comfy and there was a nice variety of pillows. I had a snack and drink in the restaurant. It was quite good.

I think the best part was the convenience to downtown Cincinnati. We just took the bridge over and were at our location in about 5 minutes.

cleveland, ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

Not bad, clean and better than most Holiday Inn's I have stayed at. Compared to the other hotels on the riverfront over looking Cincinnati, it was the best price. Best part about the location is two right turns and you back on the highway and in a moment you in downtown Cincinnati without paying downtown hotel prices. The hotel is older but remodeled but the hotel is barley tall enough to look over the flood wall. It bothered the front desk guy more than we noticed. Clean rooms, nice bathrooms compaired to other Holiday Inns

• Liked — Nice Room
  • Disliked — Nothin least liked its not a bad hotel
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

We stayed here two nights due to bad weather and we work downtown and live pretty far away. The room was very nice and quiet. We had dinner in the restaurant the second night and it was very good.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Berea, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Riverfront for a friend's wedding and had a great time! We wanted to celebrate and found that we were so close to all the night life and restaurants, it couldn't have been better. The workers were all so nice and helpful! I told my wife that we would have to come back this summer and enjoy their pool, too.

• Liked — The restaurant and lounge in the hotel.
  • Disliked — Check out seemed like it was early compared to most hotels.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront? Share your experiences!