“Not too bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Covington
Ohio
“Not too bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a pretty good location. Highway and restaurants close by. The trolley stops nearby were a great convenience; easy access to Newport and Cincinnati. I booked by bid online on the drive there and due to the short turnaround I was accidentally double charged. My payment hadn't posted in the system from the 3rd party site but the staff at the front desk was very apologetic. The room was basic. Clean and comfy though. You can hear a bit of highway noise. No fridge or microwave in the room. Very old hotel except the front exterior has obviously had a facelift. Pool area was clean and gym was also clean and well equipped. No hot tub. I likely wouldn't stay again but it wasn't terrible just ended up here because I was looking for a deal so next time I'd prefer something a little fresher.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear roshaykay,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a business meeting (not held at hotel). Everything perfectly fine. Great check-in, check-out. Rooms large and clean. Quiet location. For those who complain that this is in a less-than-good location, wake up! It may not be in the ritzy part of town (there isn't one) but it's central and, if you can bring yourself to walk 5 minutes, it's real close to the ever-improving 'Mainstrasse' with its boutique bars and restaurants (the Cock and Bull Pub especially good). Would stay here again in a heartbeat! You need to know Cincinnati / Covington area to understand that this is a great location without paying $$$$ prices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is an average hotel. A little dated, but for the most part clean. The problem we had was with check-in. Despite it being at 3pm, we weren't able to get into our room until after 5 because it was a busy weekend and the rooms hadn't been cleaned yet. They weren't able to discount our rate, but we did get free breakfast coupons for the next morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear kat_arit,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the service you received. Though this matter has been resolved in a timely manner, I regret this has negatively impacted your stay with us. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Lackawanna, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked this hotel for 5 nights during the Cincy Tennis Tournament. When I booked it I knew it was near the highway but I didn't realize what part of town.kind of in a seedy area all walking distances of fine dining establishments like Waffle House,White Castle ,McDonald's, Burger King , Skyline and Big Boys. Cholesterol city here we come. We normally like to walk around cities, but there really wasn't an easy way to get downtown. They do have a shuttle that takes you here for a dollar. Upon arriving our room was ready but when we looked at the bed there was a huge stain where our heads would be. I called house keeping in and was told it was a stain and alot of their sheets have stains on them. Told her regardless they needed to be changed. The toiletries were barely enough for one of us to wash our hair. We asked for a wake up call and never got it. When we returned to our room in the afternoon there was popcorn all over the floor.the final straw was coming back from a hot day at the tennis center around 5:30 in the evening to a room that had not been serviced yet. So much or a shower and getting ready for an evening out. When we told the front desk no one even Sid sorry or we will get somebody up there immediately. Dint et in the hotel so can't comment on the food. If I was to come back to this area if I int stay downtown Cincinatti I would stay down Riverfront at the embassy suites or Marriott. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear DrDEbDDS1964,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay.

I apologize that our housekeeping services did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to ensure all of our guests are provided with a clean, comfortable room. Please be assured that cleanliness is of the utmost concern to us and feedback such as yours is taken very seriously.

We appreciate your feedback as this allows us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements. Thank you for your business and for taking the time to write your concerns.

Dhan M
Somerset, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

As with most reviews I stay more than a few times before I write one. Seems only fair since we all have an off night, hotels as well as guests.
Check in is always easy, and friendly and usually pretty efficient.
It's a big property so the lobby is vast, and a lot going on. Restaurant and breakfast area is large and serves the usual hotel food.
The rooms I've stayed in are tired, and somewhat dated. However last night I was given a key to a room which was occupied. It happens, but after flying all day, making it up to third floor, disturbing a sleeping guest, then back down to the front desk- is frustrating. The second assigned room was new, fresh and updated.
So, they do have newer rooms. Yet, the things that make a stay comfortable, lack. Little things, like
One bath and hand towel, and one wash cloth just seems like they do only what they have to- and that approach is evident throughout. I don't want to have to call the front desk at midnight after a shower to ask for a second towel. I don't want to have to call at all. The tired rooms are always poorly lit, and drains tend to function poorly. The amenities are typical, but the coffee creamers are all dried up and old, one coffee packet, just seems like no attention to the small things- granted, the things like clean and fresh sheets are more important. But whether you're a hotel one night for pleasure or you're in a hotel three, four nights a week on business, you notice the guest service items which constitute a nice stay.
The indoor pool is available 24 hours which is nice. It's clean, and well lit. Same with the gym. Equipment is always up and running.
Breakfast buffet is nice. They crew does a nice job setting it up and service is usually good and friendly. A business center that's available 27-7. The usual Holiday Inn set up.

Other than that, it's a decent place to stay. Friendly and frequent van service to and from the airport. it just lacks the "guest service, glad you're here" feeling you get from some properties.
Lets just say, I stay because our company puts us there, but lets just say I'm happier checking out than checking in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear njafares,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the pool, fitness center and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service, housekeeping and bathroom amenities. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

There was something about this hotel that just didn't wow me. I don't know if it was how my stay began - my Mapquest directions placed the hotel in the wrong spot - and when I called the hotel to ask for directions, this 20 something girl copped an attitude and provided little help. I eventually found it after driving around and when I checked in, was not greeted. The parking lot was full of utility trucks, suggesting that they chose this hotel for the same reason I did - a low price. While the hotel has easy access to the highway (it's just a block away), the neighborhood is very industrial. Back inside, I found the elevators to be ricky sounding. The room itself was okay. The quality of the bed was just okay - towards the firm side - but I took issue with the pillows. Where there are a choice of pillows, and there were 5 pillows on the bed, the size of the pillows were small - just twice the size of my iPad. I prefer a standard or queen size pillow. The room was clean and comfortable. The best part of the room was the television - it was one of the best pictures I have ever seen. The bathroom had a couple of issues. It was a very small space with a low ceiling...if you want to close the bathroom door, you need to walk into the bathroom completely, then close the door. The ceiling showed signs of water damage and while the leak was repaired, the ceiling was not painted over to mask the repair. I also discovered that the shower curtain had mold on it but after I notified the front desk, it was replaced that day. My final comment is that you could hear people in the hallway, coming and going. Overall, I would classify this as a conveniently located hotel which would satisfy a function...but not much else!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear traveler09_10_25,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with our facilities and the service you received. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
East Lansing, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My 19 year old son and friends reserved this hotel through HOTWIRE on his credit card. Upon arrival the front desk told them they could not stay there because they were not 21 years old.
He pleaded and she checked with the manager who told her NO, they could not stay there.

He asked to speak with the manager. The manager came out and again said NO. He also explained that no other hotel in the area would let them stay there since they were not 21. When my son asked why he had to be 21, the manager explained that they had a bar that served alcohol and that they could lose their liquor license if they allowed guests under 21.

Do they not CHECK ID'S at the bar?

My son queried whether it mattered that people have kids under 21. Couldn't these kids also sneak in to the bar?The manager finally took a 100 dollar cash deposit to let them stay.

Wow. Holiday Inn will take a 19 year olds credit card online, but then throw them on the street.

19 years old. A legal adult.

Old enough to kill people in Iraq, but not old enough to rent a hotel room.

How does 100 dollar cash deposit prevent the liquor license from being taken away?

Bad business ethics.

Sounds like they want people to drink in the bar and spend money. Sounds like they don't appreciate our US Soldiers.

Stay away from Holiday Inn in Covington if you honor our servicemen that fight and protect our country.

Room Tip: If you have a loved one that serves our country....stay away. Holiday Inn will gladly take the prot...