“Greatest Thanksgiving” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Corbin
Muncie
“Greatest Thanksgiving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

All 17 of us decided to come doen for the Thanksgiving Buffet in November. MKy daughters and I stayed in the Woodlands and a Cabin. Went to Cabin first and we were surprised when we walked in. Lovely, clean and up to date. The Woodlands were so nice my 4 yr old grandson wanted there house to be just that. Met everyone the next day and had to wait for our turn to eat. They had 2 game rooms where everyone could sit and around and talk or play game for all ages. Even the view that day was great. When we sat down for our meal our waitress, I believe it was Shondra, did an excellent job keep all of us happy with drinks and taking our plates. When we went for breakfast the next morning we were happy to see her and tell her just that. Would we go back next year for
Thanksgiving again....YES!
We are even thinking of coming down for other events.

Room Tip: Woodlands were nice Our cabin 522 was really nice but you had to be careful walking down the sidewa...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Findlay, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stayed in one of the Woodland rooms. Our only gripe was the flat pillows and the shower liner was too short (it didn't go past the tub so the floor got wet). The bed was comfortable. The lodge/restaurant was a simple stroll from our room. We went the end of October so we didn't get to thoroughly enjoy the falls colors in its prime but it was still beautiful. The lookout outside the restaurant/lodge was spectacular. The restaurant food was pretty good. Not sure why everyone else bashes it. The view from the restaurant was great. It was of the windy Cumberland River. A family of raccoons were right outside the huge wall length window eating bird food. It was really cool to see them so close! Oh yeah, if you like to enjoy a nice adult beverage, bring your own from home or stop somewhere at least an hour or so away as that area is all dry. They have a few bars but no place to purchase any. We tried fishing in the Cumberland but didn't have any luck. We went to a local lake about 35 minutes away. It was so peaceful and had a little bit more luck.

Room Tip: You have to climb/decend stairs to get to the Woodland Rooms so keep that in mind if that's an i...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The This state is a great value for money. The cottages are spacious and clean. The falls was really beautiful and enjoyed every moment of the time we spend out there. It was a adventurous ride because we were driving to the resort after the sun set and there was lot of fog but was fun.

Would recommend other to stay in the cottages and enjoy the Fall

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
tulsa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

After hiking down at the Falls, we came up here for the Sunday buffet. I have been here twice before in the last few months and brought my firend who was visiting from out of state.
The buffet food was good, although she had the salad/soup bar and the pinto bean soup was just only bland. They put out a huge salad bar/desert bar/other sides and about four meat selections, including carve to order beef and ham.

The high point is the view out of the floor to ceiling windows of the Cumerland River valley, ESPECIALLY in the Fall ! There is also a terrace on the roof of the restaurant...don't know if they serve up there in warmer weather but they should ! Too bad the lodge is "dry". It would make an outstanding "lounge area. See my attched photo.

Room Tip: We heard from some fellow hikers that stayed in the cabins that they were lucky to have brought thei...
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We booked two nights here for our 25th Anniversary and once we went to the room, The Woodlands it was terrible. The towel rack was missing from the wall and the door to the cabinets were missing. The carpet was filthy. Definately needs updated. Mold in the shower. Went in and complained, were given a cabin to stay in and was assured it would be better....NOT. The carpet was just as filthy and the floor underneath felt like it had rotted and sunk down and felt as though you were going to fall through the flooring. The furniture was dirty and stained and the room definately needed updating as well. We tried to eat at the restaurant as well and the food was horrible. We decided to leave and stay at a regular hotel due to all of this. We explained that we could rough it but we at least expected clean rooms. Never once was anything offered to ammend the situation and we were told it would be 7 days before a refund would appear on our card. UNACCEPTABLE. We would never recommend this place to anyone. I would not send my dog there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ft. Thomas KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

The Dupont Lodge is a dog lovers dream! It is not often you can find a hotel with no restrictions on the number or weight of your dogs. The Dupont Lodge welcomes all dogs regardless of size or weight. I cannot stress howl rare that is. The Dupont Lodge is a KY state run lodge nestled within 3 minutes of the magnificent Cumberland Falls which is also VERY DOG FRIENDLY. This is a very old lodge and the rooms, hallways, and decor reflect it's age. Howl ever....The place is extremely clean and the beds are soft and the sheets are bright white. It seemed to me that this place is really taken care of. The Lodge has 2 dog friendly rooms out of 52. My room 216, overlooked the patio and the stunning sunrises you are sure to see if you get up early. In my opinion it was one of the best rooms in the place. I was also told if both dog rooms are taken the staff will work to find you another one with the extra dog charges that come with traveling with hounds. Speaking of the staff they are warm and very friendly. So friendly that I think they found it hard to correct the guests with small children. At one point a group with small kids over took the lobby right by my room and it sounded like I was in the middle of a prank gone wrong. I cannot believe howl some parents let their kids run rough shot over them. Anyway, it is a noisy place and the doors slam hard but for the most part it all settled down after about 9:00ish. While we are on the topic of noise....my AC sounded like I was back at GE aircraft engines in the test facility. No kidding. This thing will turn your room into a blast freezer in about 5 minutes. So the good news is you don't need it on very long. It came in handy for my storm phobic hound because I just turned that sucker on and we couldn't hear a bomb go off. It also came in handy when the kids were torturing each other in the lobby. So, all in all, it worked for us. If you want your room cleaned by the maid staff you must inform them that the dogs are not in the room. I am of the ilk that I just don't want maid service at all. I have them put on their sheet that my room requires and demands no one enter the room at all. I hang my do not disturb sign up the entire time. The only time my hounds were in the room alone was for meals which we ate at the Lodge. The Riverview restaurant. OK, here is where I disagree with almost every reviewer of this dining experience. WE ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE FOOD! All I can say is that maybe the Dupont read these reviews and did something about it. The food was magnificent! My only complaint is one that I have in every restaurant I go to. TOO MUCH SALT. But that is just me. The food here was delicious. The buffet looked wonderful but we always ordered off the menu. I am a KY girl and I like me some hot browns! Let me tell you what, the Riverview's hot brown rivaled the Brown's hot brown and gave it a run for it's money. (The Brown in Louisville invented the hot brown). One big difference was the size! The Riverview's hot brown was twice the size and had that wonderful country ham included. Oh, it was so good. I saw a very popular dish at most tables and it was the black eyed peas with sweet corn bread. Everyone was raving over it. I heard that the banana pudding is the favorite dessert. I saw that coming out of the kitchen by the tray fulls. I am kicking myself for not trying it. The breakfast was worth waking up for. Again, we ordered from the menu but the buffet looked sooo good. Just too much food and I know I would have over done it. The wait staff was excellent and the view! Howl did I leave the view for last? The view is smack dab of the Cumberland River. The only thing blocking the view are the family of racoons that come up to the windows and beg for that last bite. Their eyes so pleading. It is very cute. The Dupont Lodge of Cumberland Falls made our mini leaf viewing trip a pleasure. I would suggest, that if you have a choice, go during the week and not on the weekend. I could tell from the parking lots that this is a big time attraction. The biggest being the moon bow which happens during a full moon, once a month. Apparently, you would have to go to Zimbabwe to see another moon bow. The moon bow was not a big deal for us. We checked in on a Monday and left on a Wednesday. Cumberland Falls is most certainly a 2 day experience at the least. Check the sunrise weather before you go to bed to see if you will have a jaw dropping experience on the patio. This is not to be missed. The lodge was obviously designed around this experience back when these parks were being forged. The Dupont Lodge was built in 1933. Often times the visionaries would camp all over the area to decide where the structures would be built and what the tourists could appreciate the most. On a final note, my Mom and I could not get over the overwhelming feeling of the Native Americans in our mists. It was something we talked about the entire time. As we viewed the falls we imagined their families and dwellings. Howl their horses would drink in the cool pools off of the falls. It was pretty awesome to imagine. The entire visit was pretty and awesome.

Kentucky Unbridled Spirit.

Room Tip: If you have dogs stay on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor actually is the main lobby level and you can...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Palatka, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge for our 38th wedding anniversary...we were completely satisfied with every aspect of the Lodge. We planned to do some hiking and to see the Moonbow at the falls so we wanted to stay on site. Our room was spacious, clean and looked out onto the deck. The staff were helpful and friendly. The restaurant was top notch! Great food for every meal and very well priced. We hope to go back again....soon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge? Share your experiences!