“Does not feel clean, etc.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Corbin
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Does not feel clean, etc.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

While taking my family to Corbin to visit my wife's relatives we decided to spend the night in a Marriott. Reserved it online and it looked pretty good from the available photos.

Upon arrival I waited at the ft. desk for about 5 minutes, while saying at an ever increasing volume, "Hello, is anyone here?" Finally a lady, very nice and apologetic, asked my name and promptly put me in a room type I requested. She then added, I'm sorry our whirlpool is broken, and did not offer any type of compensation, since I did mention that this was one of the reasons for my choice in hotels.

My wife and 2 daughters went to the room, while passing a removed tile floor, that had been demolished, yet not repaired, carpeting that looked lesser in quality of a Roadway Inn that was 40 years old, and smelled old, and sorta musty.

The TV was a CRT 32" with a poor picture, the bathroom door was uneven (light at the top) as if it were hung wrong or cut wrong, the shower was pieced in with no trim to cover the difference in the old and the re-modeled surround. The beds were more like plywood with cloth. No newspaper (Marriott rewards member), 3 towels for 4 people, no soap, shampoo, conditioner.

They quickly fixed the missing items and again were very apologetic regarding all of the issues, and offered to change rooms for us. We did look at another room, but there was little difference and my daughter was sick so we just stayed.

I will not ever stay at this hotel again, however if you are looking for a hotel to "Hook-Up" in this is a winner, if the hook-up is worth the $95.00 a night (after tax).

Recommendations:

Remodel, and actually finish what you start, as well as look at the reservation for qty. of people and any special requests.

Great people, poorly maintained facility. OH almost forgot the pool has a MAX of 5 people in it at a time and the Whirlpool has a max of 4..

How funny is that??? Happy travels

Matthew

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel !
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Indianapolis IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

This is likely one of the first Fairfields when they started the chain. A few areas need upgrading but overall a good stay. Alex at the desk was very friendly and joking with guests as they checked in. Nice start to a stay. Checking out, the lady was heading out for a smoke and came back in briefly.

Large room with king bed, couch, desk. Definitely above average in size. A bit musty on arrival but I started the A/C fan and that helped. I opened the window (2nd floor) but an old lady sitting on her walker puffing away ended that idea. After dinner, tried again - there she was! Only flaw with the room was the refrigerator, so loud I unplugged it. The old GE A/C was nice & quiet and worked great. WiFi was fine. Shower fine, exhaust fan falling from the ceiling though and not sucking anything.

Pool area was rather humid and chlorine smelling. The whole lobby area smelled of it. A replacement of the pool ventilation/dehumidifying system is in order. Hot tub was hot & bubbly. Pool was good sized but had a sign on the wall that max of 5 people or $100 fine. What? That can rule out a mid sized family swimming together. Wierd. Signs say don't bring towels from the room but there were no towels there at one point.

Breakfast was typical and crowded. Finally got to the refrigerator for the breakfast sandwiches but there would be some wait for the microwave so I returned to my room and ate there.

A few updates and this will be back to a top notch joint.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Nice place but staff was unfriendly. We had left our daughters pillow their by accident, and when we called on our way back through, they gave us the pillow without the case? Did not figure it out until we got home but upon calling the hotel back, the unfriendly night person told us to call back tom and talk to the housekeeping staff that the case was not found in the room??? HUH??? A pillow has a pillow case on it already and someone pulled it off evidently? Not very friendly or helpfull. Wont be back. The only reason we stayed their was we earned points off a creidt card. We love Hampton Inn better!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Great value for the money, great service, excellent location

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Gilbert, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

While traveling to Chicago with my Mom, we needed a place to stop over with 4 kids. We got adjoining rooms, which worked out perfectly because we could put the baby to bed in one room, and leave the adjoining door cracked so we could hear him while the older kids watched TV in the other room. The older kids enjoyed the pool. Brakfast, while not spectacular, met our needs. We've made it tradition to stay here every year for this same trip (visiting family for the holidays).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I've never had a negative experience with a Marriott hotel...everything was good and the breakfast was abundant and varied...as I said, can't go wrong...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

The Fairfield Inn is at Exit 29 off I-75 at the top of a hill next to a gas station and across from a few restaurants. The location concerned me at first but once I walked in I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly to all the guests and seemed to actually enjoy their jobs (unlike some hotels). The lobby and cafe (for breakfast only) were very clean and nicely decorated, the open computer in the lobby was available most hours, and my room and bathroom were extremely clean.

I travel a lot for work so I mostly need just a clean place with easy access to the city. The Fairfield Corbin was extremely clean with modern furniture and bedding. I couldn't open my window but the A/C worked just fine, and I could hear the conversations in the hall. Other than that, I was very pleased and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn Corbin? Share your experiences!