“Not bad if you need something different.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wigwam Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cave City
Wigwam Village
You added Wigwam Village to your Saves list
Cave City, KY   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Cave City
Milwaukee
“Not bad if you need something different.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Well, we decided to stay here because we were looking for something fun and different to do on our road trip. I have to say I was incredibly nervous about it, because the phone calls I had with the people ahead of time were terrible. I made my reservation over the phone and even though I said APRIL about 20 times, the guy still put me down for February (even though Feb was long over at this point). I had to repeat my credit card number about 6 times too. I called again the week before to verify my reservation, and I told him I wanted to make sure we both had the same dates in mind, and the guy wouldn't tell me the dates he had written down. He just kept saying, "Yes your reservation is correct..." Well, how do you know that? Only I know if you have me written down for the correct date!

However, when we got there, our reservation was, indeed, correct. We checked in with no problems. Our wigwam was fairly clean, but very outdated and our biggest issue was having no outlets to plug in any of our stuff. But, you can't mark them down for this...it is a wigwam after all :) They claim to have free wifi, but it didn't work at all while we were there, so if you need access to a computer, this is definitely not the place for you.

There were only 2 of us, and we opted for a wigwam with 2 beds thinking that the place would be small and we'd probably need the extra space for our stuff. I am glad that we did this, because we ended up sleeping in separate beds due to the cramped space and the small beds.

The shower was not bad, but definitely keep in mind that you're not in a hotel, and shower quickly!!

There is a nice area outside where you can enjoy a campfire, or grill some food, and there's a playground for the kids.

One thing we were disappointed with was that the gift shop was not open when we checked out. We were excited to buy a tiny little wigwam to commemorate our trip to the area, but that morning the owners were operating out of their house and we weren't able to buy one.

It was a fun experience, but I'm definitely glad that we only stayed for 2 days. Definitely check out Mammoth Cave National Park if you are in the area! There really would be no other reason to come to the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Owensboro, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Place was neat looking and something different. Needs alot of work. Probably great during early times but run down now. Only space heaters used and our wigwam very drafty and chilly. Door was drafty and sunlight came thru bottom & sides. Only 1 parking spot each wigwam. Playground equipment appears recycled from mcds also broken with jagged plastic in its window. Tire horse swings rotted and could break any moment.

• Stayed April 2014
Palm Bay, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

If you are looking for luxury this is not it. But if you are looking for roadside kitch, old americana then this is for you. We stayed in wigwam #12 and the room was clean with furnishings from the era. The bed left alot to be desired. We had to use the space heater and it was still chilly. Overall fun and something we had to do once.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

If you set your expectations right, and you're looking for some classic Americana, you'll enjoy this place. The rooms are small, but clean, with 2 double (not queen) beds. You'll need to duck to get in the shower! The office "Wigwam" doesn't appear to be used anymore, when we were there, we needed to register at the owner's house. The Teepees are in very good shape, especially considering their age. The front door glass louvers are painted over, and the side window can no longer be opened, so the window A/C is the only ventilation. The playground, though, is in sad shape, too bad for families with small kids.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Based on reviews, we lowered expectations & enjoyed our short visit. TeePee #12 was heated well with space heater, had a working T.V., small coffee pot, and clean enough. Beautiful sunset & trains added ambiance. Outdoor fires & grills are available with lots if wood. We took some great pictures and enjoyed the (decayed) Americana. Slightly eery feeling because of lack of people and truly shabby play ground equipment.

Constructive criticsm, tear down all that stuff & just make a nice fire pit area. Keep the slide only with a fresh paint job.

Stayed April 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We looked so forward to staying at Wigwam Village with out 8 yr old son.
We had pretty low expectations. We knew it was dated. But what we did not count on was bedding with cigarette burns and thread worn, plaster pealing from the ceiling and general decay. We had teepee #6. The furnishings are on their last legs, literally from the 50's. The rattan beds have huge holes in the head/foot boards, the one light bulb hung from a bare cord from the ceiling. The lopsided TV stand would have fallen over if you walked by it. It held a 13" TV that did not work, unless you liked snow. There was no room to bring in luggage or to walk passed each other. It's so sad to see such a wonderful piece of history is such disrepair. It would take so little to make them a jewel again. But we could not bring ourselves to stay there and went on down the street to a different hotel. The owners were understanding in this and appeared to be used to people not wanting to stay once the saw the inside.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this place is pretty awesome. You need to be prepared before you go though, and just go ahead and lower your expectations, and look at it as an Americana adventure. I met one of my good friends there, and we stayed in TeePee #12, which had 1 double bed. It was easy to find from the interstate. The Office said it was "Open," but there was also a sign that said to go to "the house" after hours. It wasn't after hours, but... I went to the house to check in anyway. Now that was maybe the oddest thing about the whole experience. I rang the bell and no one answered, so I started the open the already slightly open door, and a man said "Come in!" He was sitting on his couch watching tv, and got all the receipts/reservation information out for me to sign right there in his living room. Odd!

The room was actually cleaner than I expected. It's very small. And very old. But pretty clean. Only one small dead bug behind the bathroom door. Not too shabby. I did bring flip-flops for the shower, and I would recommend that - just in case, you know. The bed was pretty soft and bouncy (not in a good way really). We never even turned on the TV so I can't comment on that. I had brought my laptop and we watched a couple of movies on that. We went in the middle of March, and while it was nice the day that we checked in, it was pretty chilly that evening, and then the following day was freezing. There was one tiny space heater in the teepee, and let me tell you - that thing really worked! Neither of us were cold that night at all. The toilet had some trouble flushing at one point, but my friend figured it out and was able to get it to work. Also - the gift shop was never open, and from the look of it, it looked like they hardly had anything in it at all. A friend of mine had been there before and gotten a t-shirt, and I was kindof interested in that, but... I guess I'll just have to try and get that some other time.

There was a train nearby that did blow its horn several times and was kindof annoying. It didn't wake either of us up through the night, I don't think though. We enjoyed using the little fire pit outside, and sat around it for a while. That was probably the funnest part of it all.

Not a whole lot to do in Cave City other than Mammoth Cave, so I would recommend that! Overall, it was a fun little weekend adventure to remember! Everyone should experience the Wigwam Village at least once! :-)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Wigwam Village? Share your experiences!