My wife and I were visiting family in Bowling Green over Christmas and we needed to find a hotel for this trip. We also decided to treat ourselves to a better place this time, and Hampton Inn usually offers a higher-end chain hotel experience. With the AAA discount, I got a king room for $95/night plus tax. That is on the expensive side for Bowling Green, but we figured that it would be worth it.
The Hampton Inn Bowling Green is a somewhat older building which is currently under renovation. The renovation should be finished by the beginning of the new year, but a good portion of the first floor and the elevator lobby on the second floor were quite a mess. There was a lot of dust and a strong smell of wallpaper adhesive in both areas. (The renovation contractors worked most of the day while we were there, including on Christmas Day). The desk clerk suggested bringing the luggage cart in by the side door in the elevator lobby. However, there is no ramp up to that door from the parking lot.
Our room on the second floor appeared to be newly renovated. It was nice and clean, but fairly plain looking. The room had a mini-refrigerator, but no microwave. There was a single-serve coffee maker. However, the coffee and drinking cups were all paper, which seemed rather cheap. The closet door was off its track when we checked it, but it was fixed on the second day after I reported it. There was a new 32” HDTV, but it was slow to advance through channels and there was no channel guide in the room. The bed was quite comfortable. However, the fitted sheet came loose each night we were there. There were plenty of towels in bathroom and they were soft. The water pressure in the shower was also good. But like a lot of hotels I've been in recently, there was no bathroom fan. The in-room wi-fi was hard to figure out and was inconsistent.
Apart from the renovation, the common areas were nice. The lobby and breakfast area were particularly well done. Breakfast was generally good, with a variety of choices but not up to Hampton standards (as has been noted previously). I will compliment their coffee – it was very good and fresh. But again, there were only paper cups. There are a couple of computers in the lobby for business use, but I didn't get a chance to use them. There is also a small exercise room on the first floor with a treadmill, eliptical and weights.
The staff was uniformly excellent. Check-in and check-out were very smooth. When I asked about the lack of an in-room microwave, the desk clerk mentioned that she could find one if we need it. (There are a couple available in the breakfast area, so it wasn't necessary.) As I mentioned before, the closet door was fixed promptly when I reported it. And the the Breakfast area attendant was especially helpful and friendly.
We spent a lot of time with family and really only slept at the Hampton. Objectively, I can only really complain about the ongoing renovations, and that will be done by the beginning of the new year. But even when the renovations are done, I would be hard-pressed to rate the Hampton Inn Bowling Green higher than slightly above average. While it is a good hotel and we had a nice stay, I can't say that it was really worth the extra cost over the nearby alternatives. I will probably give it a pass the next time we need to stay in a hotel in Bowling Green.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- the birthplace of American speed...welcome to the Hampton Inn Bowling GreenHere at the Hampton Inn® in Bowling Green, we bet you've heard of our town. You might know us for our quaint and historical downtown. Maybe you've heard our name from the alums of Western Kentucky University. Or perhaps, just maybe, you've heard of another little product made here...the Corvette.At our hotel in Bowling Green, we're proud that our town is the home of General Motor's Corvette Assembly Plant and the National Corvette Museum. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hilton Hotels, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hampton Inn Bowling Green reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Bowling Green Hotel Bowling Green
- Bowling Green Hampton Inn