“Had a great stay...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Bowling Green
Dayton, Ohio
“Had a great stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I felt compelled to write a review, since there were some bad reviews. Yes, they are renovating, but my room was very clean with above average space. I did ask for a non-smoking room, as they apparently still have smoking rooms in Kentucky. There was no smell of smoke or pets, etc. Looks like the pool is being redone, as of this writing, so if that's important to you, call first. Also, my mattress was very comfortable, and I'm a bit picky on that. It was also quiet. I stayed on a Sunday night. I would stay here again, depending on price.

Room Tip: Don't forget you have to request non-smoking, if that is important to you. I felt room size for...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hartland, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We have stayed at this location many, many, times. This last experience was very disappointing! I booked our room through Orbitz, and I have never had a problem using this website for any type of travel. I check in and sign my credit slip and see that we had been given a king room. I had made the reservation for two beds, because there were four of us staying in the room. I go back to the female associate and luckily have my confirmation from Orbitz to show her, and she begrudgingly changes our room. No apology, no conversation.

When one of my daughters and myself entered the room, we both smelled something foul. I did not mention to my daughter that it smelled like cat pee. Several trips in and out of the room with luggage, and my daughter said the same thing. Once my husband and other daughter arrived, it was the first thing they both mentioned! Don't know if the desk associate knew this room smelled when she gave it to us, but it felt somewhat vindictive?!?

I did not bring it up as we quickly decided not to spend more than one night here and cancelled the rest of our reservation. We almost exclusively stay at the another hotel whenever in Bowling Green now, as we have grown tired of the lack of free breakfast and unhelpful staff. They make you feel as though they are doing you a favor checking you in!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
BOWLGHIGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
SouthernJewelryGirl -

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Whether positive or negative, we use the comments provided by our guests to help improve our services!
Please let me apologize for the associate who provided the service noted in your review. I have addressed the issue with our Guest Services Manager and want to let you know that is not our standard of service!

We have looked into the odor mentioned in your review and had the room deep cleaned to address the issue you shared. We would not intentionally place anyone in a questionable room and we appreciate you sharing so we can make the necessary corrections to the room. We are currently undergoing a major renovation and the new rooms will be significantly improved. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you the level of service that we are known for next time you're in Bowling Green.

If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Best Regards, Brian ~ GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Found myself at the Holiday Inn University Plaza for a conference. The rooms are clean and spacious... they are doing a bit of remodeling in the inner space but if you are up and out to work early that won't be an issue! Next door to the convention center and well situated close to a mall, eateries and various shops. Everything was well within a 10 minute drive with little traffic. Nice place!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Arcadia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Everything other reviewers have written is true. Yes, the beds are somewhat lumpy. Yes, the bathrooms are terribly dated and tired-looking, and worst of all, housekeeping's lack of attention to detail (especially in the bathroom) is rather off-putting.

However, the atrium featuring a waterfall in the lobby is lovely and unique. The room is larger than comparable rooms we have stayed in. The t.v. is a flat screen one, and most of the furnishings (carpet, chair/ottoman, dresser/entertainment console) seem to be updated. There are also numerous eateries nearby, including a 24 hour Steak 'n Shake.

The hotel is undergoing renovations, and this necessarily means that there will be inconveniences. For example, the lobby is accessible only from a side entrance, and those wishing to swim will have to use the facilities at an adjacent property. We didn't take advantage of this offer but saw that others did.

For a one-night stay at the price we paid on Hotwire.com (with a late night check-in on top of everything else), we found the Holiday Inn University Plaza satisfactory. We look forward to seeing the completed improvements if we're ever back in town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BOWLGHIGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
SoCalOhanaOf5 -

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience. We appreciate both the positive and negative feedback. We will use your comments to assist us in improving our level of service, most notably, in the guest bathrooms. We are addressing the issues in your review regarding the bathrooms and the bedding.

The current renovation is touching every part of the hotel, improving the Food and Beverage outlets, the Front Desk Registration, Lobby, Meeting Space and the guest rooms. We are very excited for the changes to the hotel and we are positive that our guests will love the new look! We look forward to having you back to see the new improvements. We hope to have the renovation completed by the end of the year.

If I can be of any further service, please contact me at the hotel. Best Regards, Brian ~ GM
Newark, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Hotel room was ok and they upgraded us to a m/w and refrigerator suite, looked a little worn and not up dated small TV. Had a charge of 6 dollars on credit card and thought it was a mistake, called and found out they charge 3 dollars a piece for bottled water. There was nothing in room that said they were 3 dollars apiece.

I think it is very petty charging for water, there was no free breakfast at this hotel and they are starting a renovation.
I would stay at another hotel and not come back here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Larry B -

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I apologize that you didn't have a good experience and you were unhappy about the bottled water. There are tags on the bottled water and are placed in the room for our guests convenience. If that wasn't the case, I am very sorry for any inconvenience.

In regards to the renovation, we are currently undergoing a significant upgrade to entire hotel, from the exterior, to the guest rooms, and all of the public space. We are very excited for the improvements to the hotel and we think that each of our guests will be as well! I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in Bowling Green. If you contact me, I will personally ensure you have an excellent stay. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Best Regards, Brian ~ GM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I will preface this review with a disclosure that we did not complain to the front desk as we arrived at 11p and were back on the road by 10a, but this hotel was outdated, filthy, and our room was a smoking room that literally took your breath away- one could not escape the smell of smoke and whiskey from too many hotel parties. It literally had me gasping.... First, I didn't know smoking rooms were even offered anymore, but I cannot understands how this room smelled and tasted of stale smoke. (Yes, tasted!)
The bathroom was filthy, filled with hair that was not ours, but I recognize that they are going through a much needed renovation- these rooms looks like they've seen no updates in at least 20 years..... My compliments to the staff, they were extremely polite and courteous... My best advice would be to avoid those smoking rooms- I've never experienced anything like it!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
middyj2005 -

Thank you for your review. I apologize that your room cleanliness was poor and that you were put into a smoking room. I have addressed the cleanliness issues with the Executive Housekeeper and we will use your comments to improve our services. That is not the standard of cleanliness that we expect and we apologize that you didn't have a great experience.

We are currently undergoing a major renovation that will also result in our hotel going 100% non-smoking. We will not have any smoking rooms and the current smoking rooms will be fully renovated and under go smoke remediation. We are very excited for the upcoming changes and improvements to the hotel for all of our future guests. We truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to have the honor to be your lodging of choice the next time you're in Bowling Green.

If I can be of any service, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel. Best Regards, Brian ~ GM
Goshen, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Upon arriving we were greeted by the disaster formerly known as the front of the building. The side entrance we were directed to was not suited for check in, neither in size nor appearance. The room smelled of stale cigar smoke, the mattresses and pillows are terribly worn (lumps and bumps and springs abound), and the wall paper was peeling away from the walls. I wish I could say that was the worst of it, but sadly, no.

The bathroom looked like it had been swiped at with a damp rag so, while there were no giant chunks of stuff laying about, the mold in the corners, the layers of soap scum on the shower walls and the discoloration of the tub were a dead give away for the lack of attention given. Let me go on to say, by tub discoloration, I mean, the tubs have a rubber bath mat. The bath mat was moved from its original position and under the mat was a lovely shade of white while all around the mat, the floor was a disgusting shade of mold grey...

The cost of the room was not in line with the quality of...well anything. At best, this is a $29.99 Motel 6 room.

The upside, I did not SEE any bugs, so that is something.

There are so many other hotel chains within two miles, do yourself a favor and stay at one of them.

Room Tip: If you are a staunch Holiday Inn person, maybe ask if ANY of the rooms have been remodeled. Surely...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Ivory Y,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green? Share your experiences!