“Great value and location!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Bowling Green
“Great value and location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Found myself at the Holiday Inn University Plaza for a conference. The rooms are clean and spacious... they are doing a bit of remodeling in the inner space but if you are up and out to work early that won't be an issue! Next door to the convention center and well situated close to a mall, eateries and various shops. Everything was well within a 10 minute drive with little traffic. Nice place!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Arcadia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Everything other reviewers have written is true. Yes, the beds are somewhat lumpy. Yes, the bathrooms are terribly dated and tired-looking, and worst of all, housekeeping's lack of attention to detail (especially in the bathroom) is rather off-putting.

However, the atrium featuring a waterfall in the lobby is lovely and unique. The room is larger than comparable rooms we have stayed in. The t.v. is a flat screen one, and most of the furnishings (carpet, chair/ottoman, dresser/entertainment console) seem to be updated. There are also numerous eateries nearby, including a 24 hour Steak 'n Shake.

The hotel is undergoing renovations, and this necessarily means that there will be inconveniences. For example, the lobby is accessible only from a side entrance, and those wishing to swim will have to use the facilities at an adjacent property. We didn't take advantage of this offer but saw that others did.

For a one-night stay at the price we paid on Hotwire.com (with a late night check-in on top of everything else), we found the Holiday Inn University Plaza satisfactory. We look forward to seeing the completed improvements if we're ever back in town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BOWLGHIGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
SoCalOhanaOf5 -

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience. We appreciate both the positive and negative feedback. We will use your comments to assist us in improving our level of service, most notably, in the guest bathrooms. We are addressing the issues in your review regarding the bathrooms and the bedding.

The current renovation is touching every part of the hotel, improving the Food and Beverage outlets, the Front Desk Registration, Lobby, Meeting Space and the guest rooms. We are very excited for the changes to the hotel and we are positive that our guests will love the new look! We look forward to having you back to see the new improvements. We hope to have the renovation completed by the end of the year.

If I can be of any further service, please contact me at the hotel. Best Regards, Brian ~ GM
Newark, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Hotel room was ok and they upgraded us to a m/w and refrigerator suite, looked a little worn and not up dated small TV. Had a charge of 6 dollars on credit card and thought it was a mistake, called and found out they charge 3 dollars a piece for bottled water. There was nothing in room that said they were 3 dollars apiece.

I think it is very petty charging for water, there was no free breakfast at this hotel and they are starting a renovation.
I would stay at another hotel and not come back here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Larry B -

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I apologize that you didn't have a good experience and you were unhappy about the bottled water. There are tags on the bottled water and are placed in the room for our guests convenience. If that wasn't the case, I am very sorry for any inconvenience.

In regards to the renovation, we are currently undergoing a significant upgrade to entire hotel, from the exterior, to the guest rooms, and all of the public space. We are very excited for the improvements to the hotel and we think that each of our guests will be as well! I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in Bowling Green. If you contact me, I will personally ensure you have an excellent stay. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Best Regards, Brian ~ GM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I will preface this review with a disclosure that we did not complain to the front desk as we arrived at 11p and were back on the road by 10a, but this hotel was outdated, filthy, and our room was a smoking room that literally took your breath away- one could not escape the smell of smoke and whiskey from too many hotel parties. It literally had me gasping.... First, I didn't know smoking rooms were even offered anymore, but I cannot understands how this room smelled and tasted of stale smoke. (Yes, tasted!)
The bathroom was filthy, filled with hair that was not ours, but I recognize that they are going through a much needed renovation- these rooms looks like they've seen no updates in at least 20 years..... My compliments to the staff, they were extremely polite and courteous... My best advice would be to avoid those smoking rooms- I've never experienced anything like it!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
middyj2005 -

Thank you for your review. I apologize that your room cleanliness was poor and that you were put into a smoking room. I have addressed the cleanliness issues with the Executive Housekeeper and we will use your comments to improve our services. That is not the standard of cleanliness that we expect and we apologize that you didn't have a great experience.

We are currently undergoing a major renovation that will also result in our hotel going 100% non-smoking. We will not have any smoking rooms and the current smoking rooms will be fully renovated and under go smoke remediation. We are very excited for the upcoming changes and improvements to the hotel for all of our future guests. We truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to have the honor to be your lodging of choice the next time you're in Bowling Green.

If I can be of any service, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel. Best Regards, Brian ~ GM
Goshen, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Upon arriving we were greeted by the disaster formerly known as the front of the building. The side entrance we were directed to was not suited for check in, neither in size nor appearance. The room smelled of stale cigar smoke, the mattresses and pillows are terribly worn (lumps and bumps and springs abound), and the wall paper was peeling away from the walls. I wish I could say that was the worst of it, but sadly, no.

The bathroom looked like it had been swiped at with a damp rag so, while there were no giant chunks of stuff laying about, the mold in the corners, the layers of soap scum on the shower walls and the discoloration of the tub were a dead give away for the lack of attention given. Let me go on to say, by tub discoloration, I mean, the tubs have a rubber bath mat. The bath mat was moved from its original position and under the mat was a lovely shade of white while all around the mat, the floor was a disgusting shade of mold grey...

The cost of the room was not in line with the quality of...well anything. At best, this is a $29.99 Motel 6 room.

The upside, I did not SEE any bugs, so that is something.

There are so many other hotel chains within two miles, do yourself a favor and stay at one of them.

Room Tip: If you are a staunch Holiday Inn person, maybe ask if ANY of the rooms have been remodeled. Surely...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Ivory Y,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Corbin, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Spent 4 nights at the Holiday Inn University Plaza in Bowling Green, KY. We were there for a large softball tournament and needless to say we needed to wash uniforms. This hotel of over 200 rooms has only 1 washer and 1 dryer for guest use. While there, the laundry room was "out of order" because the dryer wouldn't work. For 3 nights we listened to excuses as to why it hadn't been fixed and promised to have it fixed the next day. The front desk staff did apologize each time, but never offered anything (room discount, breakfast tickets, etc.) for our trouble of going to the laundromat at night. With one washer and dryer for the entire place, I would recommend anyone traveling to Bowling Green, Kentucky for a sporting event stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Chris H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is regrettable to read that our laundry facility was a let down during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. Please know that this is not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in. Your feedback is very important to us as this helps us continually improve the facilities and services that we offer. We will certainly followup your concerns with the respective departments to ensure similar situations do not reoccur.

Should your future travel plans bring you back to the area, we would love the opportunity in serving you better.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Greensburg, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My husband and I decided to take a short one night trip for our anniversary, so we chose to stay here, I had stayed here several times for business convention but hadn't been here in over ten years. I was a great hotel then but not so much now. I think the mattresses must have been the same one from ten years ago. Lumpy and hard, we stayed in a double room and both beds were terrible. The room was clean and the staff at check in was very friendly and helpful. We didn't complain since we were there only one night. But for the price I did anticipate better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
BOWLGHIGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Linda M -

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your experience. We appreciate the feedback and use both the positive and negative to validate and improve our service. First, let me apologize for the mattresses, we are planning on replacing them during the renovation that is currently ongoing. We strive for each of our guests to have an excellent experience and I am sorry we didn't accomplish that with you during your stay.

Secondly, all of us here at the Holiday Inn University Plaza Hotel wish you and your husband a very Happy Anniversary! Despite the issues you had with the mattresses, we hope you both enjoyed your anniversary.

We are currently undergoing a significant renovation touching the entire hotel from the exterior, guest rooms, and all the public space. We are very excited for the upcoming changes and believe you will too. I hope we can be of service the next time you're in Bowling Green! Should you need anything, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel. Best Regards ~ Brian, GM

Been to Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green? Share your experiences!