“Anniversary Retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spongie Acres

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowling Green
Spongie Acres
You added Spongie Acres to your Saves list
610 Matlock Road, Bowling Green, KY 42104   |
Bowling Green, Kentucky, United States
“Anniversary Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I are Bowling Green residents, but were celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary and wanted to spend a romantic weekend without the kids. Spongie Acres was perfect. My husband and I were able to enjoy a peaceful weekend doing all the things we enjoyed doing before we had kids. After a long day of canoeing we checked in at Spongie Acres and were greeted by Juannie and Clint, the innkeepers. They were very inviting and great to get to know. We stayed in the Sponge Pride room and it was elegant and spacious.

Juannie is a creative genious! Her homemade cookies were delicious and the breakfast was plentiful and tasted as good as it looked. After breakfast we rented a couple of bikes and took a 10 mile ride along the countryside before we checked out. We enjoyed getting to know Juannie and Clint and appreciated them opening their home to us for a night. Also, it was great to see Juannie's passion for creativitiy displayed through the variety of handmade sock monkeys in the gift shop.

If you are looking for a peaceful, elegant place to stay Spongie Acres is for you.

Brent and Angela
Bowling Green, KY

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

B&B's are always a bit of adventure. You've got to expect almost anything, usually good, but sometimes not what you might call normal. My wife and I have stayed in B&B's in Europe and America and have enjoyed even the most cramped and ones with bathrooms down the hall you share with three other families. Then we stayed (regrettably only) one night at Spongie Acres (last week). We did not expect the gorgeous big room and bath suite, the large and lovingly-care-for grounds, warm reception by Juanie and Clint, and pleasant common living room (big TV and nice company were provided). Of course they served us a great breakfast to match. If you stay anywhere else in the BG area, you are missing out on a treat with a capital "T".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I arrived at the beautiful Spongie Acres estate last Monday, August 05, and stayed until Thursday, August 08. I took a trip down to Bowling Green with my aunt to see the area, and we wanted to stay somewhere other than a "run of the mill hotel chain."
From the minute we pulled up to the front gates of Spongie Acres, I knew we had made the right accommodations! The fenced in area of the estate must be upwards of 8 acres, and it is meticulously landscaped. The only place I have seen better grass is on a golf course!! Also, if you are staying with a big group, there is plenty of parking on the grounds (even enough room for a FEW RV's).
Upon arrival, Clint and Juannie (inn keepers/ owners) were very friendly and well mannered. They showed us to our rooms which were in pristine condition. I chose to stay on the lower level in "The Captain" room because I like to go out at night, and then be able to sleep in a bit in the morning undisturbed. There is only one other room on the lower level, which was vacant when I was there. So, I basically had the entire lower level of the house to myself, which includes: an exercise room (with air hockey!), full bathroom, kitchen, living room with a huge 60" TV and surround sound, and a separate pool table room with more TV's and a bar area!! This was great because a couple nights I got in very late, and I was able to relax in my own personal living room and watch a movie on the big screen while enjoying a couple beers!
The next best thing was waking up to a delicious home cooked meal every morning! Juannie really does a great job at providing the best home cooked meals you could ask for when away from home. The first morning I was there, she made blueberry pancakes from scratch! Amazing! Along with eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, fresh fruit, juice, milk, and fresh ground coffee!! Needless to say I ate like a pig, was completely stuffed, and wanted to return to my nice cozy bed.
They also were great at recommending great places for dinner. They told us about the local Shogun hibachi restaurant, and if you are looking for dinner and a show, this is where you want to go. Amazing food, and a great night of fun for the whole family. We really appreciated that they recommended that to us because we definitely would have missed out on that experience.
Clint is also a huge bicycle enthusiast, and he has quite an impressive collection of high end bicycles out in the massive, modern barn on the premises. I decided to go with him on a ride the one day when my aunt was out shopping. It was a terrific experience! He took me on a nice casual ride through the back country roads showing me all the different farms, and lovely views. It was also great because I got some much needed exercise while having a blast!
Well, I could go on and on at what great people Clint and Juannie are, and the quality of service you get when you stay at Spongie Acres, but I think you get the point by now. If you are looking for a great "home-style-accommodation" in a gorgeous home while on vacation in the Bowling Green area, you would be a fool to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep in a little, ask for a room on the lower level; you will sleep like a baby!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have had three wonderful stays at Spongie Acres Bed and Breakfast (October 2012, April 2013, June 2013) and we cannot wait to return! The innkeepers, Juannie and Clint, make us feel at home from the moment we arrive and they go above and beyond to ensure that our visits to the Bowling Green area are enjoyable. The accommodations are immaculate and relaxing, the breakfasts are scrumptious and plentiful, the grounds are gorgeous and peaceful, and the garage is spotless and secure. This is definitely a five star accommodation; an asset to the Bowling Green community.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed in Spongies Pride during an annual Diesel event that I attend every year from the moment I checked in both Juanie and Clint made us feel right at home and showed us around this beautiful B&B our room was even better than I had imagined. We woke up kind of late as we had been fairly busy the night before visiting Nashville and even thou we were sure that we would have to get breakfast someplace in town when we finally did wake up and get going Juanie was more than happy to serve us breakfast and let me tell you she makes one AMAZING meal more food than I could handle we all talked over breakfast and got to know a little bit more about them and they got to know a little bit more about us they truly take the time to get to know their guest as best as they can and really make you feel at home not just like they want you money. While I was at the event I was attending I had a pretty serious problem with my vehicle and ended up having to have a friend bring us back late that night in the morning they didn't see our vehicle and being the type of people they are they called me a few time to make sure that we were alright, that morning over breakfast while talking to Clint and calling around I thought for sure I would have to fly back down the following week to get my vehicle but Clint took the time to make calls and do everything he could to try and make sure I could make it home even offering to drive us to town to get anything we needed luckily he got us in contact with a local shop that just fortunately enough had the part I needed to get going that kind of service is something I never would have imagined or expected from anywhere and it was surely something that they didn't have to do but I am very appreciative and cannot thank them enough for everything they did for us the hospitality and service as well as everything in between was above and beyond my wildest expectations you couldn't ask for better people or a nicer place to stay and I look forward to coming back and visiting next spring

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We recently had a wedding at Spongie Acres bed and breakfast. The father of the groom took an 11 year old boy (cousin of the bride) who simply wanted to see the groom downstairs to see him. Clint responds by getting in the father of the grooms face and yelling that this is his house and these are his rules. There is no southern hospitality at Spongie Acres, and we were certainly let down by the rudeness and attitudes of both Clint and Juannie and say buyer beware. We were expecting a certain level of integrity from the staff but it may be something they have to learn along the way. After the whole event was over Juannie Kronenberger personally complained about the bridesmaids getting make up on her towels, the amount of water used in the showers from all guests, people tracking in grass clippings in the house from setting up for the wedding, and also the amount of food she had to cook for the extra guests (parents). Even though she was personally telling the entire wedding party that walked up to eat "there is only food for 12" making each individual personally feel awkward. So if you stay at Spongie Acres, make sure you dont take a shower, you dont go outside for any reason, you dont wear make up, and that you dont eat too much breakfast! I hope this message finds someone and saves them a true hassle and headache. I truly fear for Juannie and Clint in the future as they couldnt have had a more respectful group than the wedding party we had, and we did everything in our power to abide by their outrageous rules. To Clint and Juannie I hope this message finds you well and hopefully you both can make the necessary changes to run a successful bed and breakfast. But the system you run now is not a sustainable one, and when guests come to your venue they want to relax and feel like they are home and maybe even a part of your family not like strangers whom you cant stand being in the same presence as. Best of luck in the future

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ClintSr, Public Relations Manager at Spongie Acres, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Kim and Ben S had a beautiful wedding here at Spongie Acres on June 14,2013.

We wish them well and many wonderful years of wedded bliss.

We were saddened by the comments that Ben choose to share and respond with:
an outdoor venue and porta pottie were contracted for and provided.
12 guests were paid for and abundantly feed as promised.

When the bride and groom fail to communicate to the guests and the parents as to what WAS contracted and paid for it only opens the door for speculation and disappointment.

To pay less and expect more is both unfair and unreasonable.

To comment negatively is unjustified.

We look forward to continuing to make Spongie Acres your home away from home .

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were most of the way through a 2-week, 2500-mile trip to NC and KY in our Corvette and stopped here so we could see the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. This place was absolutely the right choice. Juannie and Clint could not have been more friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the Musician room on the lower level, and as others have noted, it's like having your own house! It's huge, has a private bath, an exercise room, a giant TV and lounge area, even a regulation-size pool table. (You probably don't have all of those things in your home; us either).

The room was very comfy, everything is spotlessly clean, and Clint and Juannie are two of the nicest folks you are likely to meet anywhere. They treat you as if you had all known each other for your entire lives. And their two dogs are just as friendly as they are.

And for all you Corvette folks out there: You can house your cherished car in Clint's gigantic "barn" (wait til you see it!) and he even rents time on his lift if you want to check out what's underneath your car. You will have serious workshop envy when you leave.

Breakfast - served and cooked by Juannie - was huge and yummy, including a fruit cup appetizer, pancakes, eggs, sausage, coffee, juice, etc. You probably will want to put lunch off til mid-afternoon.

We expect to return to BG again sometime in the future. This is where we'll stay - no point in even investigating anywhere else. You probably don't need to either - just give 'em a call and hope they aren't booked solid.

Room Tip: The Musician suite downstairs is like having your own house!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Spongie Acres? Share your experiences!