“Don't Make the Same Mistake...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Berea
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Louisville
“Don't Make the Same Mistake...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

This place is a dump. There, I said it. I really, really wanted to like this historic hotel, especially considering the wonderfully attentive staff. The young people who work here are great, but this hotel was the first major disappointment I've come across from Tripadvisor. My room was smelly, musty, and an allergic nightmare. I stayed here last night and got not one wink of sleep. Between itching, sneezing, coughing from the mountains of dust and mold in the air, not to mention the sandpaper sheets on the rock hard mattress, sleep was an impossibility. Oh, and the constant noise from the street as cars drive by on what appears to be the main drag in Berea. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 80, which seems to be the average age of their guests. Come take a tour of the hotel, have lunch or dinner and then get back in your car and go to a one of the many newer hotels in Richmond. Not only can you get a meal after 8:00 PM, you might also get a good night's sleep. Never again! And by the way, if my husband brought me here on a romantic getaway I'd wonder what he was trying to tell me.

• Liked — Walking out the door
  • Disliked — My room, the smell, everything about the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

We really enjoyed our one night stay at the Boone Tavern Hotel. The Berea College students who were working there were lovely, kind and helpful. We especially enjoyed having dinner in the restaurant. Our room was quite large, clean and very comfortable. The amenities were comparable to what you would find at a much more expensive hotel. I loved the bath soap and shampoo. The building was beautiful but not at all stuffy--very friendly and very relaxing. We only regret that we had just the one night there.

• Liked — Old style and charm.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Gaylord, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a two-night stay here on our way back from Florida. The place is something. An historic hotel built originally for guests visiting the college so they didn't have to stay with the President. Very nice and helpful staff (they were college students). We were lucky enough to have a very, spacious room overlooking the main street on the second floor. It was decorated very nicely with wood furniture made by the students. Very nice public areas around the hotel to sit or play chinese checkers or skittles or to watch TV.
The breakfast which is included in the reasonable room price was excellent. Several choices served by a very outgoing and friendly waitress. We also had dinner in the dining room one evening and that was also very good.
The front desk staff arranged a walking tour for us which is free of charge and given by one of the college students. You can either do the historical college tour or the craft tour.
Lots of craft shops and studios within walking distance.
I would highly recommend staying here. We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rochester Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2007

The fact that you can stay at this historic inn for the same price as a chain hotel off the interstate is unbelievable - especially since the Boone Tavern Inn offers the same amenities as the chains but in a superior setting. The inn has free parking, free wifi,and a free breakfast served to order in an actual dining room with tablecloths, real china and silverware.
My wife and I stayed there 2 separate nights while driving down south over Christmas. We had different rooms each night and both were immaculate,beautifully decorated with maple spindle furniture. And we had excellent dinners both nights in the inn's dining room (my wife recommends the lamb chops). If you drink remember Berea is in a dry county so BYOB. The town was charmingly decorated for the holidays and it was great to be able to take a walk after dinner and window shop amidst the ivy-clad brick buildings of the campus.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southeast US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

I stayed at the Boone Tavern Hotel over 50 years ago with my parents. I think it is still the place to stay.

I enjoyed it so much on my trip out that I booked it again on my way home. [Note: the hotel cannot, at this time, be booked directly over the internet; however, you can email them through their site with your request, and they do have an 800 number.]

The hotel might not appeal to everyone --it is old-- but for those of us who appreciate the charm of older buildings, this one is a winner.

I stayed on both the 2nd and the 3rd floors -- it is my impression that those on the 2nd floor are nicer (although the prices are the same). My 2nd floor room had lovely 4-poster and a beautiful bath; my 3rd floor room was smaller and had a comfortable, but not particularly stylish bed and a not-too-recently redone shower. Both rooms were immaculately clean.

The rates were not that much higher than those on the highway -- and a very nice continental breakfast --lovely fruit-- was included.

When I made my reservation, I was asked if I would like to have dinner at the Inn; as I did not know my time of arrival, I decided to wait. As I walked by the front of the hotel at 7:30 --this was a Tuesday evening-- there were only two diners. I ended up at a quite nice, and very inexpensive, Italian restaurant around the corner; it was a bit noisy, but then this is a college town.

I had read on tripadvisor.com that the town is dry; I never asked, but I did not see any reference to alcohol at either the hotel or the restaurant.

The hotel has free wifi --ask for the codes at the desk, and the staff --many students at the college-- are not the most efficient (although I was there at the beginning of the term so many were perhaps a bit lacking in experience) but were very friendly and eager to please.

The next time I find Berea on my route, I will definitely stay at the Boone Tavern Hotel; I just hope it won't take another 50 years.

• Liked — I am a history buff; and I enjoy supporting well-run businesses that maintain and rehabilitate older structures.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

I stayed at the Boone Tavern Inn several weeks ago, and loved it. If you like history and old buildings/hotels, I would highly recommend it. The hotel is still owned and operated by the Berea College, which it has been since it was originally built. Our room was very clean and decorated very nicely. It had a much more homey feel than your average hotel room. I thought the rooms were very reasonably priced, considering the hotels location in Berea, and the overall accomodations. The Continental Breakfast that was included in the price of the room was great. Unlike any "Continental Breakfast" I've ever had. No paper plates and plastic utensils here! It was excellent.

• Liked — Old Hotel History and Charm
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for AAA discount
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I stayed at the Boone Tavern one night. While I understand the building is 100 years old, overall I found it lacking in basic maintenance and cleanliness. The wallpaper in the room was peeling off the wall, the fire sprinkler heads were caked with dust, the carpet was dirty as was the upholstery on the chairs. The pillows on the bed were some of the thinnest I have ever encountered! The ladies lounge off the lobby was a mess, the tissue dispenser was broken and the cover laying on the floor and some of the paper products were out.

On a positive note, the hotel does provide free parking, a standard continental breakfast comes with the room price and the reception staff on Sunday was very pleasant and helpful.

I ate dinner at the Boone Tavern Saturday night and while the service was "spotty", the food was good.

This was not my first visit to the Boone Tavern Inn and unlike my prior visit I was very disappointed that the Inn is becomeing "run down". I hope the Berea College Trustees will take time to look critically at the Boone Tavern Inn and restore it to its former high standards. Berea College is a unique concept and the Boone Tavern is an intergral part of what makes Berea special.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Boone Tavern Hotel? Share your experiences!