“Poorest "Hot Brown" I ever had” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Louisville, Kentucky
“Poorest "Hot Brown" I ever had”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

One would expect a historic restaurant, across the street from "My Old Kentucky Home" to be able to serve a good "Hot Brown" a true Kentucky classic, however this was not the case. While my wife's pasta was said to be good the Hot Brown I received was no more than two pieces of white bread with a thin slice of turkey, a ladle of melted cheese and then a cold tomato slice centered on top. Folks that is not a "Hot Brown" . Go and enjoy the service which was fie and the atmosphere which was nice for lunch but do not expect good "Kentucky" cooking.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

asheville
“Very Poor attitude--Do NOT talk down to people”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We arrived in Bardstown on June 19 for a 6 night stay. After dropping our luggage off at our B&B we drove to Kurtz for dinner. We walked in and were professionally greeted by a very a very nice young man. He started to seat us but was halted in his tracks by a very senior lady that walked around the corner, stopped him and simply and rudely stated "It's play night and we are full". (I saw numerous empty tables through the windows when we walked in.) I asked about when a table might be available and again was rudely told--I don't know, over 30 minutes.
At this point we would not have eaten there if the food was free. We have eaten there on each of our three visits to this town but will NEVER darker their door again. We own a large Bed and Breakfast Inn in Asheville and know that sometimes owners/managers have a bad day, but nothing justifies talking to customers the way this lady did. If this was the owner, maybe it is time to pass it on to the next generation before decades of hard work go down the tube.
I strongly suggest going elsewhere--Even McDonalds would probably be more welcoming.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Morrison, Illinois
“The Best Fried Chicken in Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We asked several 'locals' when we came to town to direct us to where we could get the best fried chicken. Kurtz was the answer we heard most frequently. I can't say we tried all the options, but Kurtz had the best fried chicken of all. If you like chicken livers, they were very good as well. Country ham, turkey and great home made desserts were also highlights here. It was a friendly family atmosphere. I'd highly recommend it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati
“friendly waitstaff, country cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We visited Kurtz Restaurant on a recent weekend in the area. If you are looking for country cooking, then this fits the bill. Things like fried cornbread patties, and cooked-to-death green beans certainly feel like "country" cooking, but they were mostly tasteless. (they'd never get away with mushy greenbeans like that in California, for instance)

My husband loved the prime rib. I enjoyed the fried chicken. The mashed potatoes and gravy were excellent! The small spinach salad I ordered came with a delicious dressing.

Coconut pie and a berry cobbler for dessert were both great.

By far, the best thing about the place was the staff. Host, waitress, and the proprietress all were genuinely friendly and welcoming. They made up for some of the food items that were lackluster. I would recommend this restaurant with the caveat of knowing what to expect from country style food items.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Burlington, Kentucky
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Arrived at 6pm on a Saturday evening. Got seated immediately. Very friendly personnel. Ordered the Prime Rib special for $18. Excellent! Melt in your mouth with wonderful flavor. Served with salad and side of green beans and beets. Also served signature cornbread pan muffins. These little guys were awesome. They were a little stingy with them however. They did give us more when ask for though. Was not however the best place for a quiet romantic dinner. Every word you said I think everyone in our room would hear. With dinner and a glass of wine each we spent about $60 not including tip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere