“One of our favorites!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
“One of our favorites!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We love it here. The food is always delicious, and the service is great (not too much/not too little). We had a caprese/fried green tomato appetizer that was to die for. My dad said that his pork chop was the best he's ever had. That's saying something, at age 65! I look forward to our next visit.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Orleans, Louisiana
“A foodies dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Love, love, love this place! My husband and I found Circa on Tripadvisor and all the great reviews are right on. The ambiance, presentation and selection was spectacular. My husband and I ordered a few appetizers and an entree to share. The lamb meatballs were by far the stand-out dish, but everything we ordered was just delicious. Staying in a small town like Bardstown we didn't expect much more than a good pizza joint...we never imagined we would find such a gem.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Louisville, Kentucky
“I'm sorry I bothered you.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We went to Circa to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. From the time I made the reservation to the moment we left the restaurant, their entire attitude was, “Don’t let the door kick you on the way out.”

The hostess/server is the co-owner and wife of the chef. She should never be allowed in the dining room. She grudgingly took my reservation - I assume because she was so busy in the dining room. I was mentioning it was our Anniversary when she hung up the phone.

When we arrived, she sat us at a table without a smile or acknowledgement that this might be an important day for us. Under two minutes later she returned wanting to take our entire order. We hadn’t even looked at the menu yet.

My husband asked if he could taste two wines before ordering a bottle. Both of these wines could be ordered by the glass. She responded that she wasn’t opening a bottle for a taste if it wasn’t already open. Okay… but then she never came back to tell us they weren’t open, and we had to practically beg to get a bottle to the table. Unfortunately, it wasn’t very good.

Finally, at the end of the evening, I told her that when I made the reservation I mentioned it was our anniversary and don’t they do anything for special occasions? We save the very upscale restaurants for Anniversary dinners. I wasn’t actually asking for a free dessert or anything, I really just wanted a smile and acknowledgement. “I hear you are celebrating an Anniversary. Congratulations. Welcome to Circa,” would have done the trick. However, her response was, “We don’t do anything for special occasions. We have them all the time.” At which point she walked away never to be seen again.

I really wanted to apologize for bothering her and taking up space in her restaurant.

I’m giving Circa a 2 because the food was outstanding.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bardstown, Kentucky, United States
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

You have to go get a bottle of wine and enjoy life , everything is made special and wonderful the pudding with bourbon sauce , lamb , the soup and service excellent amazing for a excellent meal it's great the value at lunch is amazing and if you can get a table outside and good weather its so wounderful

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
HOUSTON, TEXAS
“Yes, it's that good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Not just excellent for a small town, but simply excellent. The owner is in the kitchen, as it should be. A limited but decent menu is supported by a friendly and professional staff. If you have time for just one meal in this pretty town, have it here.

Visited August 2013