“Fabulous experience with an exceptional guide” 5 of 5 stars
Review of J.M.'s Butterfly B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Macheros
J.M.'s Butterfly B & B
You added J.M.'s Butterfly B & B to your Saves list
Buenavista-El Capulin, Macheros, Mexico   |
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous experience with an exceptional guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was part of a group of four seniors led by Joel to visit the Cerro Pelon reserve in March. It was an awesome experience. We had arrived in Zitacaro intending to try to find our way to a butterfly reserve on our own. I became concerned about our ability to get the most out of the experience on our own and began to surf the internet to see if I couldn't find a guide, when Joel's name appeared in a respected travel commentator's website review. Since my US cell wasn't working, I e-mailed him about the possibility of a tour the following day. His cell doesn't always work in his small village, so he had a Los Angeles friend call me at the hotel to make the arrangements. He picked us up at the hotel and drove us to his small town. We wanted to hike rather than use the horses, but he had men on horses follow us anyway. Ten minutes into the hike, two members of the party decided to use the horses. 20 minutes into the walk, my partner also decided to ride, so, despite never having been on a horse before, I agreed to do the same. There were men who guided the horses so it was not a problem. We saw thousands of butterflies; a wondrous and magical experience. Joel provided us with a delicious lunch while we sat on rocks, surrounded by flying butterflies. On our return, his mother prepared a simple, delicious meal of grilled trout; the trout were very fresh as they had been taken from his father's trout pond on the property. Joel, a very personable and knowledgeable young man speaks excellent English; he was an exceptional guide. My friends who now live in Mexico are planning a return visit next February when Joel indicated that butterflies were even more plentiful at that time of the year. I can't comment on his B & B because we found him after we were already in a hotel in Zitacuaro. However, it is located in a charming little village and I would likely stay there on a return visit as Zitacuero isn't a particularly attractive city. In summary, a wonderful guide and an awesome experience that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Patten, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just went to see the monarch butterflies in mid-Feb at Cerro Pelon reserve. The trailhead is in a village called Macheros (it is about 20 minutes from Zitacuaro, and a two hour drive from Mexico City or Morelia). The reserve is truly breathtaking and not touristy at all. We hiked up instead of riding the horse up and enjoyed watching the butterflies for an hour and a half while we were eating our sandwisches. I would love to watch the butterflies again when I visit Mexico again.

We stayed at the recently opened B&B by Joel -- his sofa set was delivered the day we checked in. The rooms are basic but clean. We joined Joel's tour to go up to see the butterflies. I do not speak Spainish and glad that Joel speaks good English because he lived in the US for 11 years.

At night time, we enjoyed pulque made by Jamine (Joel's sister) and the fresh trout made by Rosa (Joel's mother). The trout are from Melquiades' (Joel's father) trout farm nearby. Loba, Joel's dog is unbelievable and she hiked up with us and she is certainly in better shape than us, lol. Since there is no Internet access in the small town, we could focus on meeting other travelers and getting to know Joel more. Please be patient when you email Joel, he cannot respond to your email immediately because he needs to drive 20 minutes to the big town to check his email everyday. Perhaps calling his landline at night is a better way of communication.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to J.M.'s Butterfly B & B? Share your experiences!