“Disgusting ripoff” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1812 Main St, Winfield, KS 67156   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Winfield
“Disgusting ripoff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Whoever writes a good review on this place is obviously an employee. I'm writing this review from a different hotel in town because the sonner inn was Unbearable. We got our room keys, took a quick glance and used the restroom before we left to get something to eat. We came back about an hour later and that's when it began. Let's start with the bathroom. I walk in and find its really small. The toilet seat rocks back and forth when you sit on it. The ceiling and lights are very stained. The shower is extremely small and dirty. You CANNOT get the water to stay at the right temp and the shower head shoots the water out so hard it seriously hurts. A wand at a car wash doesn't even put out that kind of pressure. So then I go out by the bed, try to turn the TV on and nothing works on the remote. So we decide to check for bed bugs like we do every place we stay. Start taking off the sheets one by one. First sheet.....pubic hair. Not just one but a lot. So that was bad but not enough to get to me yet. Second sheet......PISS STAIN right in the middle! Lifted that up and boom GIANT PISS STAIN where is had soaked into the mattress cover and mattress. That was it no way were either of us sleeping on those obviously unwashed sheets. I argued with the manager on the guy at the front desks cell phone and he claimed that because we didn't find it within the first 30 mins that we couldn't get our money back. I asked repeatedly where it said or where I signed where it said anything about 30 minutes and he told me it was just courtesy of the motel and there were no refunds. So I asked where it said there were no refunds. He said it was on the receipt I got after I paid. So I looked on the tiny little receipt and in tiny letters it said no refund so we left for another hotel. I would advise anyone not to stay here unless you're looking for a place for an hour of fun. Even then I'd find more than a condom for protection from this hole!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Winfield, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

When first arriving to this motel you could tell it was very cheap. When we entered the room we noticed the doorways were flat out filthy like they had never been cleaned. Upon using the toilet you realize it is not attached to the floor. The shower was disgustingly filthy and very outdated. It took about 10 minutes just to get the water adjusted to a semi comfortable temp. All of this is tolerable. However, my husband and I travel often enough to know to check the beds before crawling in for bedbugs and such. Upon checking the bed in this particular motel we came across multiple pubic hairs under the comforter. This also is tolerable, but very disgusting. However, further investigation revealed a huge piss stain in the middle of the sheets and mattress cover clearly revealing that the sheets had not been changed or washed.! This was clearly the deal breaker. I immediately went to the office to complain. The guy working at the time stated he could not give us a refund because it was not found within 30 minutes of checking in, although never once denied that the sheets had not been cleaned. He refused to come to the room and look at the bed, but offered us a different room. I demanded I speak with a manager whom he called on his cell phone. The manager also refused to give us a refund and stated because we did not report it within 30 min. We were never told about the 30 min rule upon checking in nor did we sign any paper work with this information. Although we were offered another room we definitely did not stay.! If they didn't wash the bedding in that room how could we trust the bedding in any room.!? Absolutely disgusting. If you're looking to stay in a dump this is definitely the place.! I recommend spending an extra 20 bucks and going else where.!

• Stayed May 2014

Travelers are raving about these Winfield hotels

Oklahoma city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I found the accommodations here were average at BEST. I don't have a problem with retro décor or small rooms, but the floor coverings were pretty decrepit and there was old messy duct tape holding down the edges between the room and bath. The sink fixtures were REALLY dirty. The water temp was difficult to set and maintain. The toilet and furniture appeared to be clean, but one has to wonder how deep it goes. I don't see an even marginally germaphobic person being comfortable in this room. We didn't do the free breakfast but it looked to be minimal. When we checked in the person on the desk spoke NO english and I had to review a series of confirmation slips to tell him which person I was. There is free wi-fi but it is AGONIZINGLY SLOOOOW. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable enough and the bedding smelled sweet and clean. The big flat-screen TV, bath heat-lamp, fridge and microwave are nice amenities. I probably would pay a little more to stay somewhere else the next time I'm in Winfield.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We spent one night here on our way home to CO from visiting family in AL. I love the "retro" feel, decor of the place. The price was certainly right. The room was small, but we did not need a suite to just crash in for a night. It was clean (and that is a priority for us). The bed was comfortable. We did not eat the breakfast - chose instead to visit a local place. But this was a fine place to spend the night - will return when we make the AL trip again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Winfield, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This motel was one of the finest ever on my trip. Reasonable rates for what they offer. Free breakfast and high speed Internet. I stayed with my family and the kids enjoyed it. The staff was very kind and polite to us. House Keeping when you need it. Next time we will stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This motel was older and needed some updating and it looked liek they were doing just that! But the front desk was helpful and friendly. The only real problem I had was the shower curtain. I think they need htose plastic liners with the magnets to hold against the shower wall! Otherwise it was clean and the beds were comfy and the price was right!

Room Tip: We noticed it was very quiet cosnidering it was on a busy road.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tulsa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is a good place to stay if all you're looking for is a "jumping off" point. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the rooms they're just older, very basic and a bit on the small side. The free breakfast is pretty minimal. The family who runs the place was very accomodating and nice. They are pet friendly and charge a small fee (one person told me $10 but they only charged $5 when I got there). The one downside about the pet friendly is there's almost no place for your pet to relieve themselves. There is a 12 inch border around the back parking lot with dirt but that's about it. For the price I'd stay there again if I was only sleeping and not planning to spend much time in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonner Motor Inn? Share your experiences!