“overpriced for the area and sub-par for a Marriott-family hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #45 of 84 Hotels in Wichita
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“overpriced for the area and sub-par for a Marriott-family hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Will not stay here again. Not a terrible experience but definitely not what I'd expect from a Fairfield Inn and very sub-par for any Marriott family hotel. My room and the whole building I was in was run down (I went into 3 other rooms in addition to mine). Bathroom was old with some minor mold in the shower. TV was old, bedspreads/sheets were old, furniture was run down. Shower/bath splitter didn't work well, sink was very worn and tired looking. Heater was so loud that it woke me up every time it turned on/off. Heaters and bathroom fans in the adjoining rooms were so loud that it was a nuisance every time people staying next to me went to the bathroom or when their heat kicked on.

This is more like a cheap Motel 6 and not worth the $80 I paid. I chose this hotel b/c I'm a gold level Marriott Rewards member and it was cheap for a Marriott. Check in staff didn't even recognize my Rewards status (first time ever that I was not thanked for being a loyal customer and given some sort of a perk).

There are many hotels on this block that are much nicer for the same price (Hampton Inn, Studio plus). There is also a full-fledged Marriott next door, which is where I should have stayed for a bit more money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

The hotel was fine and had been updated. The internet was spotty. There were no elevators in Bldg 2. I am all for walking up stairs unless I am lugging tons of luggage and its late at night.
No ice machine. And as a woman traveling alone, I hate hotels that only have one set of curtains on the windows. The shearness of the single set of curtains are disturbing to me.
Staff was great, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wooster, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

In town for the National Forensic League National Speech and Debate Tournament, we speech coaches are experts on extended hotel stays.

The price is right at this hotel, and the group rate was $76.00 per room per night... a good value in a city of 300,000+ with scarce hotel space for the week.

The staff was very courteous, friendly, and as helpful as their training allowed. The continental breakfast was good, and the rooms were well-attended to (four pillows on each bed!). Location was convenient to basic shopping and dining, as well as downtown. The crosstown trip to the airport was no big deal. Pool and surrounding area was pleasant and kept my students happy.

That being said, there were some issues...

First, my total rate for the week was quoted incorrectly, to the tune of about $1,000. The clerk on duty also couldn't seem to figure out what "tax exempt" means and re-calculate the room rate accordingly.

The other major issue during the week was the high-speed internet. In a pinch, I had to order a script for a student - it was a real "speech emergency". The internet was off and on for over 3 DAYS during our stay, with no real resolution until Tuesday. This was completely unacceptable, especially when my school was dropping over $2,000 for the week's stay.

Musty smell in the hallways and rooms was evident.

All things considered, I would stay here again IF the staff could promise me that the internet would not be an issue for days at a time. Buyer beware, but a 4th star would be deserved if the property had delivered on the high speed internet. When it was up, the stay was wonderful.

• Liked — Comfort and friendliness.
  • Disliked — Spotty internet access.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

I was a little disappointed in this hotel, since it is a Marriott property and they are usually in much better shape. The design of this hotel is one of its main issues. There are three buildings, two contain sleeping rooms, the middle building contains the office and breakfast area. These buildings do not connect so to do anything in the office/breakfast area requires a walk outside. No shelter from wind or bad weather.
The hotel has no elevators, so getting luggage and business materials to the second floor is difficult. Couple this with the key system that requires the key to be pushed in and left before you can open any doors makes moving anything a big problem. All the rooms have the old fashion heating/airconditioning system with the push button controls. The room never maintained a balanced temp. It was either too hot or too cool all the time and the system was VERY loud. There are no refrigerators available in this hotel. My guest room had been painted by someone apparently wearing sun glasses. There were strips along the ceiling and up and down each wall about three feet apart in a darker color than the rest of the room. Also, one wall had peeling sheet rock and stained ceiling from a leak.
The breakfast was also poor. A very tiny space for people to pick-up food, poor food quality and staff who could not speak english and understand when there was a problem. (for instance, one morning the milk was sour, but we had to notify the front desk because the person working in the breakfast area could not understand.) I received a fairly low rate as I was on a government rate, but what we paid was entirely too much for the service and facilities.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amarillo, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

Stopped in without a reservation just after Christmas. The service at this motel was outstanding. All of the desk personnel were very friendly and efficient. The property was well kept. My wife and I agreed that the room was as well maintained as any 4 to 5 star we have stayed at. The holiday rate was a pleasant surprise ($60 for three of us). The breakfast area was as clean as the room. We both agreed that Fairfield will go to the top of our list for places to stay when traveling.

• Liked — Well maintained
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

Spent the night here last week. Very industrial looking. Strong smell of disinfectant when I entered the room. Free internet, free breakfast - a reasonable value for the money.

• Stayed October 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn on January 9, 2006. The hotel looks like it has been completely renovated since I last stayed there a year ago. My room was state of the art and even smelled like a brand new room. It was obvious that a lot of work has been done recently on that hotel.

The staff service was very friendly and recommended a nearby steakhouse, inside the Wichita Marriott, which is right near the hotel and we had a wonderful meal there. I liked the location too as it was nearby to most of my meetings.

I would recommend this hotel, especailly now that it looks brand new.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn Wichita East? Share your experiences!