“Adequate stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 81 Hotels in Wichita
Washingon, Kansas, United States
“Adequate stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was my first time staying at this Holiday Inn. The room was spacious & adequate but could use some updating. Bourbon glazed wings & bottled water were served at check-in which was a nice surprise. Parking was a bit of a problem as had to park in a water puddle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
hiwichita, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Wichita East, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry you had to park in a water puddle. That is something that we are fixing and I hope the next time you stay with us it is no longer an issue. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our Guest Appreciation appetizers. Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn from your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Swansea, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

While I do not stay in Holiday Inns often, this one was clean, comfortable, and was just fine. The room was spacious and the restaurant was nice for a drink or breakfast.

Free pizza in the evenings in the lobby surprised me, but was a nice addition to the visit.

One thing that continues to concern me is the Holiday Inn internet speed. The last three (3) Holiday Inns I have been in (since July 1) have all had slow internet. Maybe a coincidence, but maybe not.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
hiwichita, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Wichita East, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We are glad you made the choice to stay with us! I would like to thank you for taking the time to review and comment on our hotel. It is great that you were able to partake in our Guest Appreciation and enjoy some pizza. I will be sure to share your comments with the Management and Staff. We use every guest comment as a tool to improve our service and to make all of our guests as comfortable as possible. We hope you stay with us again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Wichita East while visiting our daughter in Wichita. There were 5 us and it was comfortable. This hotel restaurant was pretty good, we had breakfast and dinner there. The hotel is average, it was clean, and in a location that was easy to get places.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
hiwichita, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Wichita East, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our hardworking staff strives to make all of our guests’ stays comfortable and I am glad to hear your stay was just that. I will be sure to share your comments with them. We hope you stay with us again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was ok at best. It could really use some updating. Everything in it seemed a bit dated and screamed for modernization. And worst part about it all..... My 0800 wake up knock from the cleaning crew. I HAD planned on sleeping in a little.

• Stayed September 2013
hiwichita, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Wichita East, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as comfortable and relaxing as you had hoped. We use guest’s comments to improve our service. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff. We are getting started on an extensive renovation and updating the entire hotel. I hope that during your next visit you are happy with the results. Sincerely, Melanie, Director of Sales
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a great spacious room that was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. This was our last night on an eighteen day trip and it was one of the nicest places we stayed on this trip. Wish we had had rooms this nice and for this price every night of the trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
hiwichita, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Wichita East, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I would like to thank you for your review and comments. We have a hard working staff that tries to make every guest’s stay as comfortable as possible. It is nice to hear that this is how you felt! I will be sure to pass your comments on to the hotel staff. We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely, Melanie, Director of Sales
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

As a former employee of IHG I would NEVER expect such horrible service from an IHG employee; let alone a supervisor!!! Throughout my phone call experience I spoke to Coleen, she had a VERY NEGATIVE attitude! I wouldn't bring my business to this property even if I got a complimentary stay! If this how a prospective guest gets treated over a phone call, what is the hospitality shown to guest that is actually staying there?!

The horrific phone call experience with Coleen is described below…
Myself: Hi, does your property have Jacuizzi tubs in your rooms?
Coleen: Yes.
Myself: how much do they run?
Coleen: $149 plus tax
Myself: do they change throughout the week? Would you be able to quote me a price for this weekend?
Coleen: Sure let me transfer you to reservations…
Myself: I’d rather speak to some on in house; I just want a quote.
Coleen: okay let me place you on a quick hold.

Before I could say anything else she TRANSFERRED to reservations. I hung up and called the property back; Coleen answered the phone within seconds. I said “Hi, Coleen. I just spoke to you. I specifically asked not to be transferred to reservations and you transferred me anyway.” Her response was “Well it’s not my job to make reservations!” I said “I don’t want to make a reservation; I want a quote for a Jacuzzi room for this weekend” I asked Colleen multiple times if she was a Holiday Inn employee and what was the reason being that she was unable to give me a quote for the room. Her response was “NO, I DON’T WORK FOR HOLIDAY INN, IT IS NOT MY JOB TO MAKE RESERVATIONS.” After asking repeated times for a simple quote she finally decided to quote me a room for Saturday night at $299.

I can understand an employee not wanting to waste time on the phone to help a guest that has already spent their money and is standing in front of them, BUT I also know that it takes 2-3 clicks to quote a rate through any hotel software. This is not want I would have expected from an IHG property. The 2 minute conversation became 15 minutes and a very unnecessary and rude attitude was displayed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
hiwichita, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wichita East, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your recent phone call. I am sorry for the problems you experienced. IHG reservations are handled thru our central reservations department. We should have been able to find out a rate for you though. I apologize for your inconvenience and hope that you will give us another opportunity to show our typically great customer service.
Topeka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Room rates seemed pretty high for what you got, which was an average room. No microwave or refrigerator which is what we needed. We had to bring a cooler into the hotel as we were there for a major basketball tournament. The laundry room only had one working washing machine which made for a very long wait. There is no free breakfast which is the main reason I won't stay here again if I have my kids (16) with me. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean. Carlene V. was the front desk clerk that helped us and she was the highlight of the hotel stay. She was very nice and she greeted me by name whenever she saw me which I thought was pretty special. We needed to check out late and the hotel was very accommodating. Overall I had a good experience!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wichita East, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear cantweallgetalong,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is very pleasing to know that you found the beds very comfortable. I also appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words intended for the front desk clerk. However, please accept my sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Wichita East? Share your experiences!