“Nice hotel. Nice value.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel at Old Town
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   830 East First Street, Wichita, KS 67202   |
Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Wichita
Maryland
“Nice hotel. Nice value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Old Town. It has everything you might want (except a free breakfast). It is clean, and the rooms are nice with full kitchens. I liked that it didn't feel like a chain. Some rooms may have a noise issue when the bars close nearby, but there are plenty of quiet rooms too. I would definitely stay there again. Also, Eggcetera is a nice breakfast spot a half block away.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding, so we weren't in the hotel too much. The lobby is very nicely appointed. We never had much of a wait for the elevator and our room was very clean and nice. It includes a small kitchen with microwave and refrigerator. Parking for the hotel is conveniently located in the upper lever of the garage, a quick walk away. They had a nice, efficient looking gym.

Room Tip: We had a 4th floor interior room, which was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Greeley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while traveling through Wichita, Kansas on vacation. The hotel is in a great location downtown. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. Parking for hotel guests is located in the upper levels of a detached public parking garage right next to the hotel. This was very convenient and cost effective since there was no additional charge for parking your car, despite being in a downtown area (unlike many other big cities).

The hotel itself is a charming historic building that has all of the needed modern amenities. We stayed in a queen room, which had a spacious bathroom, comfortable bed, fully equipped mini kitchenette (with a small electric range, microwave, sink, full-size fridge, dishes, and cooking utensils), and a large flat-screen TV with premium channels. In addition, the hotel also offers free high-speed wireless Internet and a large working desk in the room for those on business trips.

During check-in, we were also given vouchers for a hot breakfast buffet each morning of our stay. The lobby of the hotel has a “jazz” bar that is open in the evenings as well as a small store where you can buy overpriced snacks, drinks, and frozen meals. However, besides the breakfast buffet, there are not really any on-site dining options (no room service). However, since you are centrally located, all of the downtown restaurants and bars are within walking distance. The Museum of World Treasures is right across the street, and the Warren Movie Theater is about two blocks away.

The only complaint that we have about this hotel is that there is no swimming pool (however, there is an exercise room), which was a negative in 90+ weather.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

Lovely staff and the rooms were beautiful

The beds were the comfiest I have ever known and it was great to have a fridge and microwave in there.
They have free coffee machines downstairs Which is great. The gym was great too.

The cons were that the was no bath, after a hard day a relax in a bath would have been nice.
The breakfast was disappointing. It is a buffet style and some parts are hot and some left to go cold some undercooked. They try and take away your plates a little too fast, not really a relaxing experience, feeling people hovering over you. Although if you want more coffee or juice they will gladly fill them up for you.

I did enjoy my stay, but never really looked forward to breakfast, I just stuck to cereals.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sseattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed one night at the Hotel at Old Town. The hotel was across the street from the small convention center where my meeting was held. The staff was very helpful in getting a room for me that would fit my requests - top floor, in a quiet area, and having a window that opened. Nick, at the reception desk, moved my heavy box and suitcase across the street for me so I would be ready for the meeting. He offered to do this without my asking. The hotel's location is great with several good restaurants, pubs, and boutique shops within a few blocks. My room had a full sized refrigerator, a 2-burner stove top, a dishwasher, and a microwave. I didn't use these appliances, but would be good to have these for longer stays or for families. The hotel offers an airport shuttle service for $10. Ask about it when booking.

Room Tip: The front desk staff told me that 1st street gets noisy at night. Best not to have a room on that s...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Although we have stayed at this hotel strictly for pleasure in the past, this time we stayed when a family member was hospitalized at St. Francis. It was very easy to reach the hospital from this location. We found the staff to be helpful as we needed to extend our stay until our relative was discharged.

The atrium was relaxing with a variety of chairs and even a couch--very important to us who needed a place to wind down during a stressful time. There is a water feature, too, that we really enjoyed. The lobby contains a bar and small shop; I found the shop to carry just what we needed as far as snacks and beverages, and my husband enjoyed having a drink at night.

We like to stay in rooms on the north side; they seem larger with huge windows and are very quiet. Once we stayed on the south side and did hear some noise from the outside, but on the north side (or in an atrium room we were told by the staff) it is very quiet. The rooms are large with high ceilings and very comfortable bed and chairs. All of the kitchen essentials from a full-size fridge to a microwave and dishwasher were here. The hotel features a spotless laundry facility and exercise room, too.

We stayed an extra night and enjoyed walking to dinner and hearing live music all within a block of the hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We prefer the north side upper floors, which have oversized windows. Although they overlook a parkin...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I really enjoy this hotel! It is beautifully furnished and the accommodations are very well thought out, with one exception: I hate duvets. They are too heavy and hot to sleep with unless you turn the AC down to about 60. I would appreciate having a light blanket available in the room, but there was none.

Except for this, I would give the hotel a 5.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel at Old Town? Share your experiences!