“Work in progress; great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #30 of 78 hotels in Wichita
Columbia, Missouri
“Work in progress; great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a property that was in need of a large scale renovation – and that is what is going on right now. So there are some issues related to the renovation, but largely, there were no problems with the construction sound/etc. We arrived late Thursday evening and were upgraded to a lounge-level room which was nice. The AC was not spectacular and if it had been warmer (80 in August ??), this would have been a concern, but even still, the humidity was not cleared very efficiently. While the lounge is not open on weekends, it was open fairly late Thursday evening so we were able to grab a few snacks and a drink. Breakfast was included and was the standard fare but was reasonably well done. The workout room was small but the equipment was sufficient to get a decent workout in to start the day. Overall, the staff were excellent, the price was reasonable, the property was perfectly located for our purpose (swim meet), and renovations are likely to bring the property up to a higher level.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

After reading the latest reviews online I expected to see the renovations currently going on in the lobby and adjacent areas so it wasn't a surprise. It should all be done by the end of 2013 we were told. We were greeted promptly at a temporary desk and check-in was seamless.

I have mobility issues so I always request a handicapped accessible room with a roll-in shower. This type of room was only offered with a king bed and no other bed option that I was aware of. I prefer two queen beds when possible.

Upon first view the room itself was very clean and neat. There was a small cabinet to hang clothes in with two different heights. An iron was provided, a small ironing board, as well as one folding luggage rack. A flat screen television sat on top of the second cabinet which contained two drawers, a shelf with an ice bucket and a small refrigerator. On the desk was a single cup coffee maker and a box filled with coffee, tea, etc. If you're a big coffee drinker like I am you might want to ask for extra packets of coffee (caf or decaf). There was a small power strip on the wall above the desk as well.

On either side of the bed was a small night table containing two drawers. Only one side had a small power strip on the wall. I'd have liked both sides to have a power strip. The table lamps in the room were easy to turn on or off. Above each side of the bed was an additional reading lamp with its own switch. I'd have liked that switch to be a bit lower and easier to reach so I didn't have to get back out of bed to turn it off. The bed was comfortable, but firm.

The bathroom was large and had plenty of space for all our 'stuff.' My only gripe is that it needed to be brighter. Men don't have an issue with lighting like women do. When putting on makeup we need more light! The shower was great except it could have used a small shelf (other than a tiny plastic disk-shelf that was attached to the hand-held shower) for shampoo, etc. I did not use the folding seat.

Other than in the bathroom there was only one other mirror in the room, which was circular and mostly decorative. No one in a wheelchair could use that wall mirror. The room was lacking a full length mirror and needs one.

We had dinner the first night of our 3 night stay at the Black Angus Grille in the hotel. The food is very good, but on this night the service was very slow and uneven. In my opinion, the drinks are over-priced.

We had breakfast all 3 days in the Cinnabar Cafe. We ordered off the menu and did not get the buffet. It was also very good and service was excellent.

The only major glitch we experienced was that maid service never cleaned up our room on the first full day. We had to request clean towels to tide us over until the next day and tidied the room ourselves. The staff did apologize.

I would recommend this hotel if you're staying in the Wichita area and it should be really nice once the renovations are complete.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Marriott Wichita is going through some renovations but they did a good job covering the work and I did not hear any noise from my room. The room was nice and clean. The restroom was a little dated. The club lounge was very small but the food was good and the staff was very friendly. This is a good hotel and I would stay there again but it is average for a Marriott. I am giving this Marriott a "very good" rating because it is one of the best hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wichita_Marriott, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Wichita, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with Trip Advisor. I also wanted to take this opportunity to write to you and to thank you for choosing the Wichita Marriott Hotel as your home away from home when you travel to Wichita, Kansas.

I am so relieved to know that the construction was not a hindrance to you during your stay with us. We are anxious to get this process finished as quickly as possible so that we can enjoy our beautiful new hotel. We are currently in the Phase 2.75 of our 5.9 Million Dollar total first floor renovation and lobby conversion to the Brand New Marriott Greatroom. Our entire team is so very excited. The new Marriott Greatroom will engage the senses, with music, scent, and lighting to create a different atmosphere and mood at different times of the day. It will feature comfortable seating that can be easily grouped together, wireless connectivity and AC power as well as access to food and beverage throughout the day and evening.

The Day/Night Bar in the Social Business Zone will adapt to guests’ needs throughout the day and into the evening. Light breakfast items and coffee will be available in the morning and cocktails and snacks will be available during the late afternoon and evening hours. The Day/Night Bar will be a working food and beverage zone during the day and then transform to a full service bar in the evening. Along with the newly re-invented lobby, we will also be offering brand new and exciting food and beverage options.

In addition to remodeling the entire lobby we will be renovating all of our meeting, banquet and pre-assembly spaces as well as adding an additional 5000 square feet of much needed meeting space in the form of a brand new ballroom called the Corporate Hills Ballroom. .

I am positively thrilled to let you know that as part of the hotel’s multi-million dollar renovation project this year we will be relocating the Concierge Lounge from our 11th floor to our Lobby level in accordance with our overall Lobby Re-Invention and Marriott Greatroom execution. The goal for the design of this lobby-level Club Lounge is to offer enhanced physical spaces, food and beverage experience, technology amenities, and our signature hosting experience to our valued guests. These components work together to provide our guests with an executive level of service in a supportive and flexible environment.

Our guest’s experience will be greatly enhanced by elevating Marriott Rewards Members’ status in the hotel and giving those honored guests’ exclusive access through a members-only entrance into the Lounge which will be much larger than our current Lounge. Relocating the Lounge to the main floor provides an opportunity for a more spacious experience for our guests. The close proximity of the newly relocated lounge will provide our guests with access to the Marriott Greatroom buffet and bar areas and will make available to our honored guests a more diverse variety of food and beverage offerings.

If you would honor us with a future visit to our hotel I would be delighted to offer you our very best Suite with my compliments.

Marriott Team Wichita
Shelby Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had to wait for our early check in, so we went and saw the city. When we came back our room was ready. We couldn't find a luggage carrier any where. There were 2 in use, I don't know if that's all they have, but for a big hotel they should have more than that! We had to carry all our stuff ourselves.
The room was clean and a nice view of the pool and a lake/pond in the back.
We went and used the outdoor pool it was very nice, Kansas is very windy, so hold on to everything if your outside! The pool water flies out of the pool!
We didn't get a free breakfast, and didn't want to pay their prices, so we went out to eat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I spent one night before an early morning flight out and though short, we enjoyed our stay. The front desk manager was friendly and provided great information about the area. For us, the highlight of our stay was the concierge lounge attendant - Andre Gillette, who went out of his way to meet all of our requests. Since we were departing the hotel at 4AM and would miss the concierge breakfast, he went to the kitchen and brought us fruit & garnola bars the night before for our early morning departure. Now that is Marriott level customer service!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was,looking for something close to the city but close to some good entertainment and food to be found on 13th street. I was,here on business so I needed to get to both downtown and have easy freeway access. Located in east wichita ofthe main highway...itwas not in the city and only a short ten minute drive. Ground were nice and by a pond that hasa nice walkway around it. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room keys were not magnetic,so no issues with keys not working, they used some sort of key card that wasn't magnet based. I hate it when the key that has been next to my cell phone kills the key and I can't get in. The rooms were comfortable,beds good,desk good, lots of pillow chioce great. I however do believe the bathrooms could use more room..but not a deal breaker. I can't complain as I stayed here for three days comfortably. great deal on priceline for me wichita east the abd a half stars. sixty two bucks per night..couldn't beat it!!

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a great hotel located on a nice property just a few minutes from downtown. It was a quick and easy drive downtown for the evening. Was just here for one night and really enjoyed my stay in Wichita.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Marriott Wichita? Share your experiences!