“Yup, pretty good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 81 Hotels in Wichita
Kansas City, Missouri
“Yup, pretty good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The kids and I stayed here for our end of 2012 summer road trip. We drove 2.5 hours from KC to Wichita. We were pleasantly surprised to find a very nice Marriott hotel that had a great indoor/outdoor swimming pool that the kids loved! It was located close to some shopping and very close to the highway so it met our needs. I didnt get to use it but they had a very decent workout facility that was facing the pool.

The restaurant and bar there was very nice and the service was friendly and quick.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Made reservations for this Marriott on Priceline. Best advertised price was $114 per night, I was able to get it for $60. It was I and two of my brothers with significant others, when we checked in, they put us all on the same floor within a room or two of each other. Lobby was very nice, had the looks of an upscale hotel and the rooms while a little on the small side were very nicely decorated and didn't look worn or outdated at all. We had a king size bed which was very comfortable and had nice linens. This hotel also offered free wireless internect connections. I would probably have rated this hotel a 3.5 to 4 star if it weren't for couple of things which involved cleaning of the room. Just after we arrived, I noticed a band aid that had been rolled up tightly as though it had not been sucked up by the vacuum. It blended right in with the carpet so I could see how it might but be overlooked but.........! Next I was bending over to pick something up off the floor and saw a tube of chap stick type stuff under one of the night stands. Not that it was a big deal but if they missed something this obvious........? Overall, it was a good experience and I would have no problem staying here again, especially at this price!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Great choice for a full service hotel on the east side. Closer to the airport than the other good hotels on the east side, but further from most businesses and restaurants.

No complaints in multiple stays there.

• Stayed February 2012
Round Rock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The moment I walked in, I know this hotel must been here for a long while. Staff are friendly and very helpful. Well-trained and mannered. Hotel itself definitely needs some upgrade.
The room and beds are not as well as other Marriott we stayed.

The picture looks much nicer than real hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Everything you would expect from Marriott. Clean rooms, Breakfast has a large buffet with chef made omelets. A little pricey but has excellent service. Sports bar accommodated our large business group for the evening well. Bar needs updating which is why I took away a point.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Martinez, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here while visiting a relative for 4 nights. We found the hotel and room to be nice, but not as upgraded as we are used to at a Marriott. However, we understand that they will be doing a major upgrade soon. The gift shop was almost empty and we were told it would be closing.

The staff was friendly, helpful and very efficient. Only complaint we had was the housekeeping staff stood outside our door talking very loudly in the mornings which woke us up of course!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

So, went to stay in this hotel for 2 nights. Thought this place would be great when I walked in the door. The facility has had a TON of money put into it and it shows. It is a beautiful hotel. That's where the amazement ended. Check-in was fine, and didn't really have an issue until my son dropped a crayon about 4 hours after check-in. We got down to look for it, and low and behold, there was trash under the bed. No big deal, just some wrappers. Then, digging just a little further, found some food under that same bed. MMMMMmmmm.... Checked under another bed, and found a pillow (that was supposed to be on the room chair but was conspicuously missing), a hanger that was broken, and a rag of some sort (with God knows what on it). SOOOO... take the items to the Front Desk, and all they could say was, "We'll bring this up to management". It was about 10 at night, so I understand that there's no manager on duty. I assumed that the manager would get back with us the next day. Come downstairs for breakfast, and eat the overpriced breakfast in the lobby ($10 for some pancakes and an apple juice - no eggs or bacon or any sides - just the pancakes). We were there with a wedding, and the waitress had to be told over and over again what we ordered, she missed drinks, brought the wrong thing to the wrong table, and basically forgot to put in one order. So, talk with the restaurant supervisor (managers seemed to be missing from this hotel), and was told that she was inexperienced and apologized for the issues. I asked why an inexperienced waitress would be given such a large table to handle by herself and he had no answer. Then, later that afternoon, my wife was trying to make some tea, and she went to use the coffee pot to heat the water, and it wouldn't turn on. So, we make sure it's plugged in, then notify the front desk that the coffee pot wasn't working. They said they would have one brought up in the next 10 mins or so. Better than expected response, so when 10 mins came and went, we weren't too worried about it. About an hour later, we tell the front desk we are going out, and we would prefer if they didn't deliver the pot while we are out. We went out, and when we came back, we notified the desk that we were back. They told us that the coffee pot had been set outside the door of our room, and either we could just plug it in and use it, or the maintenance person could come and "install" it. We said we could just plug it in. We get to our room and nothing is sitting outside the door. We go in our room and the old pot is there. So, again with the FD. About 6 pm we get someone in the room with a new coffee pot, and by then we don't even want the tea. So, then, the next day, we go to checkout. The room rate is a bigger price than quoted! When I flip my lid at the front desk person, all she can say is, "I apologize". The manager was off that day (shocker - and apparently the assistant manager was, too). I asked about the day before, and they supposedly worked, but couldn't take the time out of their busy day to talk with me about the cleanliness of the room. Then, the front desk person told me that I needed to call the manager the next day when he's at work! What happened to them calling me? This place was the worst place I have stayed in in a while and I travel quite a bit. I am not usually a reviewer or a complainer, but this stay has got me doing both!

A few other items of note:

For your $125/night stay, you do not get a refrigerator or microwave in room. You do not get any kind of complimentary breakfast. The elevators that supposedly are secure and don't work without key card - one of them functions fine with out it. The rooms are smaller than what I have seen in hotels with smaller price points. AND, you get to pay $135/night. Have fun with that! Make sure you ask for what the REAL rate is going to be! They are randomly going to change it on you!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room at a different hotel.