“Getting Better, But in Need of a Facelift” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #28 of 81 Hotels in Wichita
Dallas, Texas
“Getting Better, But in Need of a Facelift”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I decided to return to the Wichita Marriott on a recent business trip after my last "disappointing" stay. I was in hopes that things have changed, and to some extent they have. The service was much better than before, and the beds are still very comfortable. The property is still in need of a major facelift. The economy in Wichita isn't the greatest, and there are not really many choices as far as nice, full service hotels. This is probably the reason the property hasn't been renovated. There are however new shower heads, but on the 10th floor, the water pressure was still a bit low. The Concierge Lounge had excellent food selections, and great service, but needs to be expanded to seat more persons at one time. There were really no issues that would keep me from staying there again other than being a bit outdated. I've lived in Wichita in the past, and to me, the whole city has gone down, but it is an economy which relies on the aircraft industry, and nationwide that is an industry that is hurting. Would I stay again, yes. Would I recommend this property, yes. To me, the staff makes the property, and the staff was great. For Wichita, this is probably your best bet if you like, a full service hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I am here on business and enjoy staying at the Marriott property. The lobby is warm and welcoming as soon as you enter. Check in was fast and efficient, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Walking into my room I found it to be very nice and clean with a large king bed, which was very comfortable. All the amenities are greatly appreciated. The dining and bar area are very enjoyable and the food and staff are great. Overall my stay at the Marriott was outstanding and I will not stay anywhere else when I come in town, Thanks again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Agree with many of the other folks about the condition of this property. The one positive is they have upgraded the beds and they are very comfortable. Other than that, I really feel like I am traveling back in time when I come to this property....which I seldom do anymore.

The workout room is sub-par, with old equipment in a small room. As others stated, the guest rooms, lobby, bar and everywhere else just has a very dated feel. I am a Platinum member and travel to many other properties 100+ nights a year. For the price that is charged, I would rather stay at the Hyatt downtown and not get my points.

When will they invest in a total overhaul of this property and not just a new coat of paint and carpet? For the prices they charge and the amount of meeting business, it seems they could justify it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Wichita_Marriott, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Wichita, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to our Wichita Marriott Hotel. I also wanted to take this opportunity to write to you and to thank you for choosing the Wichita Marriott Hotel as your home away from home when you travel to Wichita, Kansas.

Your utter disappointment our hotel is not taken lightly; the problems that you encountered are totally unacceptable and absolutely not reflective of the rigorous service excellence training in which our associates and managers enthusiastically engage. Our training programs are designed to be a reflection of our guests' own priorities of excellence, optimism, and professionalism. Our highest mission is to provide genuine care, empathy, and compassion while always exceeding the expectations of our guests.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to update you on several improvement projects currently taking place at the hotel. At this very moment we are currently completing the arduous process of replacing the Y-Pipe for the tub connection to the main drain in each and every room and suite of the hotel. Unfortunately the process of replacing these pipes is neither an easy nor a quick one; however this project will ensure brand new clean pipes with no noise and vastly improved flow-through. We are very excited about completing the project and the end results which will be noise free pipes. We anticipate that the project will be fully complete and all of our 294 guest rooms will have brand new pipes by October 31, 2011.

We understand also how important wireless internet access is when one is traveling for business. Our hotel currently features complimentary wireless internet access in our Concierge Lounge, lobby areas and banquet meeting lobby areas as well as in our restaurants. We are currently in the process of re-wiring our hotel to vastly increase bandwidth and to allow each of our guest rooms and suites to feature WIFI capability as well. This WIFI capability will be complementary to our guests. Though the process of re-wiring the hotel is an onerous and quite laborious one however we anticipate that this mission will be accomplished by late November or early December of this year.

In addition we are also in the process of finishing the final upgrade to the shower heads in each bathroom. We replaced the currently non-adjustable shower heads with brand new adjustable heads which will also allow for better flow of water through the shower head.

Next year our lobby is going to be transformed into a more modern yet comfortable and inviting area that guests can use in different ways throughout the day and evening. The Lobby Reinvented will engage the senses, with music, scent, and lighting to create a different atmosphere and mood at different times of the day. It will feature comfortable seating that can be easily grouped together, wireless connectivity and AC power, access to food and beverage throughout the day/night, as well as a Day/Night Bar in the Social Business Zone which will adapt to guest needs throughout the day. Light breakfast items and coffee will be available in the morning and cocktails and snacks will be available during the late afternoon and evening hours, The Day/Night Bar will be a work and beverage zone during the day and then transform to a full service bar in the evening. Along with the new re-invented lobby, we will also be offering new food and beverage options.

On behalf of all of the associates of the Wichita Marriott I would like to say that we sincerely thank you for your confidence in our ability to serve you and deeply appreciate you as our guest.

Wichita Marriott Management Team
Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Apparently Mr. Marriott doesn't visit the East Wichita Marriott much or the stimulus money he has to revamp his older properties ran out before it trickled down to this particular hotel. The lobby is quite nice, about on par with what you would expect from a Marriott. The facility is simply showing its age and not seeing much of anything in regards to a renovation. The staff was efficient, not overly friendly or rude, no pluses or minuses.

Our room was on the 5th floor and smelled of smoke. The smell seemed to be coming from all over and I don't believe it was an isolated incident. We didn't think there was a fire, smoke as in this particular hotel doesn't really police or enforce who is smoking or not. I'm a huge believer in Marlboro stock, God Bless You if you smoke Marlboro, but when it comes to hotels, I just like my room smoke free.

Unless you have a dire need to be at this East Wichita location, I would recommend the Hyatt Regency in downtown Wichita. Price points are similar, but just a bit more of a normal predictable hotel experience there.

Room Tip: Try to get one that doesn't have smoke or has been remodeled - Property is dated.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

This Marriott has great staff and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Every night, the turn down service leaves very nice chocolates on my bed. My king size bed was very comfortable. Bathroom amenities included q-tips, sewing kit, mouth wash as well as the usual shampoo, lotion and conditioner. Television channel choices were satisfactory and internet speed was typical for hotels (could be faster). Dining and bar area are very nice. Food was not too bad, but nothing to write home about.
On the down side, the bath towels are fairly thin for a hotel of this quality and water from the shower head isn't very strong. The concierge lounge is small, so no room to enjoy the free breakfast most of the time.
I have several more trips to the Wichita area and I will stay at this Marriott property every visit.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I have tried other hotels in Wichita but I always come back here. The service at this hotel has always been great. The concierge lounge offers a lot of variety and the beds are super comfortable. The hotel has a huge parking lot and easy access althoug away from the restaurants and downtown. The gym room is not as big and it gets a little hot but they do have a nicer size pool. The only problems I have ever had is some of the rooms have a "plumbing problem", strange sounds coming from the pipes in the middle of the night :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Basehor, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Marriott needs to spend some money and update all of their showers! I have stayed at three Marriott's in the last 2 months and the rooms have been decent, and all the bathroom counters have been updated, but every shower has had mold and mildew! This is disgusting, who wants to shower in a moldy shower! It can't cost to much to re grout the showers! The hotel itself was nice. Pretty lobby and nice rooms with comfortable beds. We had friends that stayed in a 2 star hotel and at least had clean bathrooms! No, I would not return to this hotel and if I stay in any Marriott in the future, I will request a newly remodeled bathroom or keep switching rooms until I get a bathroom without MOLD!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Wichita? Share your experiences!