“Not the same as last time” 3 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Wichita Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5500 West Kellogg Dr., Wichita, KS 67209   |
Ranked #28 of 79 hotels in Wichita
Dighton, Kansas
“Not the same as last time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I had stayed here a couple of years ago and loved it so I booked again. It is close to the West Mall and lots of strip mall shopping is just a couple of minutes away. It is just off Kellogg so is easy to get to anywhere in the city. We go to visit family and play golf so we don't tend to spend a lot a time in our room. Check in was fast and the staff were very friendly. We were on the ground floor and I did wonder if it would be quiet as our room wasn't far from the pool but it was fine. The room was clean but had a slight musty smell to it but that could be due to the high humidity of Wichita. The bathroom has issues with tile coming away from the base of the wall but it was very clean if a little small. Two people in the bathroom at the same time would not have fit. Had a separate sink outside the bathroom which I thought was a bit strange but the bathroom only had one sink and like I said a little small so the outside one came in handy. Beds were clean and very comfortable. Have stayed before and I think the upper floor bedrooms have been updated. This one was a little dated. Breakfast consisted of cereal, fruit, muffins, hard boiled eggs and make your own waffles. Not what I was expecting but maybe next time I will read the 'Hotel Features' and realize it's not a hot breakfast as before. For the $ and proximity to shopping and restaurants I think it was a good value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

After reading some of the reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. I had last stayed here many years ago when it was a Holiday Inn and also when it was between Hotel Chains.

The bed was very comfortable, the staff was very friendly and I would definately stay here again. They also have a comp breakfast that was ample....over all, I give it a good rating for this type of hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Wichita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Nice hotel for the price. Others who complained above are definately wrong: 1 there are two elevators not one (one at each end) #2 there is no password for the internet (if you cannot get on its your own fault!) #3 staff is very helpful. The suites are definately a great deal for the room

Room Tip: ask the front desk where you want the room and wh
Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Greer, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Booked this La Quinta via Priceline. We bid on a 2-star and were "upgraded" to this PL 2/1/2 star rated property. Well, I doubt if PL has ever been here. Yes, this hotel has a good list of amenities, but the rooms and the service (especially housekeeping) are awful. Anyway, we know the area and didn't want to upgrade to this dump, but PL doesn't give you the chance to decline an "upgrade".

We were assigned a room with a "regular" sized bed...they called it a queen. This bed could not accommodate 2 normal sized adults comfortably. I got little sleep on night 1. Next day I asked for a room change. The manager told me I could "upgrade" to a double bed room (no kings available) for an extra charge. She told me the room we were first given was as required by their deal with Priceline. A downright LIE!

In addition to the sour note created by terrible customer service, our room had wet carpeting around the A/C which spread several feet. Window curtain was hanging down at one end. The room had a sink in the sleeping area...not in the bathroom. This sink had little or no shelving, so all toiletries had to be placed on the TV cabinet. Terrible design.

Housekeeping didn't clean up our coffee service area or leave soap, shampoo, cups for 2 days...they just made the bed and replaced the towels.

Breakfast was also poor. The served scrambled eggs each weekday (not on weekends) and they were COLD. Replenishment of supplies was very spotty.

There are a good number of 2-star hotels in the Wichita airport area that are a lot better than the La Quinta. Be careful with Priceline bidding because if you bid 2-star in this area you're likely to get "upgraded" to this 1-star establishment.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
lakeenta, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Price Line Traveler,

I apologize for you stay at my Hotel in April..That is not the typical experience here.We needed to upgrade you to a more comfortable room when the room assigned to you was not acceptable MY Fault!!! I would appreciate another opportunity to serve your lodging needs when your back in Wichita!!

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

the first room they offered the air condition-heater was so noisy We could not stand it
the second room was better but the two sinks for getting ready was so old fashioned
We add troubles with the internet and nobody at the counter could help, good thing I had good notions about computers and that I guessed the name and code so we could get it
But every time we wanted to go back on it it was so long and add to do the complete process again.
I went in front to go and print my boarding pass, and the printer was flashing DRUM
so went to th teller and see said it was the paper and she came and then said "I don't know what they mean by DRUM". Again I used some of my experience with printers and was able to print my boarding passes.

They only thing good abour the experience was the KING size bed... it was very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I recently stayed at the La Quinta Airport in Wichita after having endured the stay a year ago. All I can really say is WOW! I am really impressed by the changes that occured in that year. The rooms have been refurbished and are in excellent condition. The beds and flat scrren, wall-mounted TV's are a considerable step up from where the hotel stood in June of 2009.
The hotel has a number of amenities including a nice exercise room, indoor pool, laundry facilities and two computers for guest use in the business area.
The hotel staff is EXTREMELY helpful. the complementary breakfast is good and the staff ensures that they don't run out of the choices most often made by the guests.
I have two minor knocks on the place. The first is one that the hotel isn't going to be able to solve. You HAVE to WANT to get to the hotel. Heading west bound on US54/ 400 (also known to locals as Kellogg Street) you have to exit on Dugan Road, go up to the stoplight, make a U-turn and head back to the hotel. It is mildly inconvenient, but not a deal breaker.
The second minor gripe is that there are five floors but only one elevator which is located some distance from the front desk. The entrance to the elevator is rather narrow and you basically have to take turns coming out and getting into the elevator when people are changing positions.
My "tip" for guests traveling with children- go ahead and opt for one of the suites instead of a double occupancy room.. While one bed would end up being the fold out couch, there are two TV's and two bathrooms, complete with tub and showers in the suite. This makes it easy for people to get ready before heading out to hit the sights. It also allows the kids to watch their preferred programs while the parents can watch something else in the other room.

• Stayed June 2010
Orting, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

I give them credit for trying to remodel an older building, as it isn't "bad." They just didn't do well with the small things.

The TV's are AWFUL! I think it's as old as me...

The days of the windows 4 feet off the ground is long gone, it would have been nice to see that fixed up.

So, it was just "eh"!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Wichita Airport? Share your experiences!