“Quiet even with the airport” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #61 of 81 Hotels in Wichita
Iowa City, Iowa
“Quiet even with the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had a room that faced the airport - it's not a very busy airport and we only heard one airplane during the day. Otherwise, it was so quiet we thought we were the only ones staying there. A large eating area with a nice selection of breakfast food and chocolate milk.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

My family & I came to this hotel after leaving another horrible hotel right after checking in. We were greeted with a beautiful great smelling front room & the nicest receptionist I've ever met! She was the sweetest person & my 4 year old daughter fell in love with her. They were booked up in the room we were hoping for so we upgraded to a suite & was not disappointed!! The room was immaculate & the beds were super comfy! The AC worked great. And even though we were on the top floor, we never got woke up by airplanes. The breakfast was hot, fresh, & delicious! I couldn't have asked for anything better!

Stayed September 2014
Melissa S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words. Please come and visit us again. We appreciate your loyalty.
Mankato, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

We stayed there for one night in October 2013 so this was a repeat stay, this time for 3 nights.

We used hotel points so the room was free, a great value.

We had forgotten how painfully slow the single elevator was but that wasn't as much of a problem as it was on our previous stay, although the elevator was still slow.

We were at the very end of the 3rd (top) floor so it was quiet.

The beds are pretty high and I'm pretty short. There is a very stiff spring running around the top of the mattress that I banged my shin on the first few times I climbed in the bed. The bed was comfortable once I managed to climb up into it.

The air conditioner in the hall was broken during our whole stay. Evidently the front desk staff doesn't communicate with each other because the first night the guy said it was broken. When I complained about the heat in the hall again the next day (around noon) the woman said it was the first she had heard about it. By the 2nd evening they at least had some warm air blowing out of the vents so the heat wasn't oppressive any more. The manager was at the front desk when I went to pick up our $0 bill the morning we checked out and she said the air conditioner was broken and there was a part on order, she thought the part had been on order for about 3 weeks! I assume that means the air conditioner in the hall had been broken about 3 weeks!!!

The hotel has changed to Direct TV since we stayed there 10 months ago. I don't have Direct TV at home and don't want to have to deal with the learning curve of having it in a hotel if it has to be this difficult. The channel guide in guest service book in the room had not been updated since they changed to Direct TV so, while the TV was on channel 360 or so, we had no idea where we wanted to be or how to get there. There were no instructions in the room for how to get the TV to change channels. The front desk clerk said he would come up but I figured it out while he was SLOWLY checking in a guest at about 11:00 PM. After 10-15 minutes I figured out that the only way the TV would change channels is if I used the channel guide on the remote and, even then, the TV was very slow to respond to the change. The TV was enough of a problem that once we found our preferred Cable News Channel we never changed the TV again.

The WiFi was unreliable. I thought it was because we were in the furthest room from the front desk but I've read other reviews indicating others had the same problem.

The hotel is VERY well insulated for exterior sound. We were very close to the NE-SW runway of the Wichita airport and, while that isn't a very busy airport, we could barely hear the 737s as they came in to land. We couldn't hear the smaller planes at all.

For the particular guest:

There was grime in the corners of the bathroom.

It seemed like the tub faucet was plumbed backwards, if I turned the faucet toward the red on the faucet the water got cooler and if I turned the faucet toward the blue on the faucet the water got hotter.

You have to be very careful with the hot water, it is hot enough that it could burn.

There are no grab bars in the tub/shower and no non-skid coating on the tub floor. There is a grab bar just outside of the tub/shower but it isn't accessible unless the shower curtain is left partially open.

The maid wasn't the best at restocking supplies. Our soap was thrown away after the first night and we had to go to the front desk to get another bar.

The bathroom door wouldn't close completely, the strike plate was coming out and kept the door from closing.

I'm undecided whether we will stay there again...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Dear lindam797,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comprehensive review about your stay and being an IHG Rewards Club Member. I am sorry that this visit was not completely satisfactory due to the condition of the room and Wifi being a disappointment. Please be assured that your comments will be discussed with management and appropriate actions will be taken to ensure instances like this do not happen again soon.

I hope you give us another chance to host you again soon and make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G
Van Buren, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Staff was very friendly. Air conditioner in the room doesn't have a constant fan feature so it loudly kicks on and off all night and your literally right by the airport so you get to hear airplanes and helicopters all night. Fridge in the room was also ticking and making noise all night. Rooms need updating. You need to be very tired and a very heavy sleeper to stay here. The carpet had cigarette burns and other stains and the curtains smelled of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed August 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear 1timlingo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise in the room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The A/C sounds like a jet engine. The window barely opens so your stuck w/ this setup & it was a challenge every single day. Impossible to get a comfortable temperature. The TV had to be extremely loud to hear over the AC unit, then when the AC shut off the tv was blaring, poor people next to me. Slept their 4 nights & was totally exhausted by the end of my stay, the bags under my eyes were not appreciated.
The fan in the bathroom did not work, their was a constant drip over my bathroom you heard at night. Mold on the side of the wall & around the tub, that blew me away for what they charged.
***The bed was great & clean! Just wished I could of slept*****

Some nights I would get towels, wash rags & coffee refills. First night I got 1 towel. The jacuzzi was great although the timer was broken & stayed on 15 the entire time. The pool was freezing, so get in the jacuzzi first. We hit high 90's every day, made for a rough night after the heat.
Breakfast was good, coffee was very strong hard to drink.
Everyone was very nice but I will not stay at a Holiday Inn Express again.
I couldn't wait to get home to sleep.

Room Tip: Your right by the airport, but I rarely heard planes as I fought the AC unit every single day. Plane...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Sherry E,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you found our beds great and clean, breakfast good and staff nice. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the noise issues you have encountered during your stay with us. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Very clean and up to date. All the staff were friendly and well informed to the area. The room was very spacious and the bed was very "sleepable". I didn't go in the pool but noticed a few of the patrons having quite a lot of fun there.

An big A+.

Room Tip: I had a conference suite and it was huge with a couch, kitchen, and even a small conference room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The night staff at the hotel provided excellent service! I arrived after a bad experience with service at a hotel close by. The shuttle driver who is the person that I spoke to about staying the night was very professional and arrived quickly to sweep me away to their property.
They new of my distress, and voluntarily upgraded me to a suite. I was just happy to be there vs. where I was. That is why I say, service Above and Beyond: Pro-Active which I applaud them for having the insight to do!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport? Share your experiences!