“ONLY Breakfast and Lunch? Why not Dinner?” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 887 Restaurants in Wichita
Cuisines: American, Diner, Hamburgers
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Description: Locally owned, made from scratch kitchen complete with fresh baked breads and fresh high quality meats. Located on the Northeast corner of Kellogg and Market (1 block west of Broadway))in downtown Wichita in the shadow of the overpass, facing south. Plenty of free parking.
Sacramento, California
“ONLY Breakfast and Lunch? Why not Dinner?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Sept. '13: Ate here three times for lunch and got to-go boxes for dinner.

LOVED the Food!
I had something different each time.
But LOVED the sides the most:
--crisp fresh skillet green beans (double order please),
--the clearly homemade cheddar tater tots.
--my side salad (ordered separate) was always fresh lettuce (not head lettuce) with different toppings that fit my main meal. One time the crumbled blue cheese bits on top were almost too much but still delicious.

OTHER MEMORABLE ITEMS:
-Bat out of Hell Meatloaf: tasty and delicious
-Beefy Doo-Dah: difficult to explain - ground beef ball center surrounded by a ball of mashed potatoes then deep fried until the outside is crunchy. Tasty but not enough but I got the skillet green beans. Yaay!
-Chicken fried steak - satisfying and fulfilling.
-Muffaletta: tasty but forgot to ask that it be wrapped so it was dry by the time I ate. My next sandwich I made sure it was wrapped even though the server forgot.
-Turkey Focaccia: travelled well for dinner since I had it wrapped. Good choice.

SERVICE: Great staff when served by the FT staff members, I was acknowledged immediately with friendly service, a menu and a smile with great follow-up as they each covered for each other easily. My last visit had stellar service.

My lackadaisical server on my first two visits made me wait for five-ten minutes before even catching my eye let alone giving me a menu, let alone a glass of water. I saw that she wasn't busy, just distracted for reasons unknown to me and clearly did not care about her customers based upon my lack of service. She also didn't tell the kitchen to wrap my take away (Muffaletta) as I had requested. I had to do that the next time. I alerted the lady owner and she was VERY receptive to my input. Told me my server was part time and she would take care of it. HOPEFULLY SO. So hopefully this server has been trained better when you are there. That is why I gave this restaurant a "POOR" service rating.

I really wish this place well. I found it to be quite a jewel in many ways.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“OK but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We visited Doo Dah Diner on a Sunday morning. At around 10:30 the place was packed but the wait was only about 10mins.

The restaurant is 'old school' diner with plastic table cloths, coffee mugs from a local law firm and all the other trappings you would expect of a diner.

On sitting down and ordering coffee & juices the waitress dropped of a small bowl of something brown. It turned out to be cubes of cinnamon roll or cinnamon bread. While they did not look appetizing, they actually tasted OK. Another pleasant surprise was that the coffee was very good. Not your usual bitter tasting coffee but a very smooth and flavorful cup.

The food itself was OK but not great. The Triple D is almost like "breakfast tapas" - it comes on on 3 small plates, each just about the right size to share. The crispy corned beef hash was very tasty. The Hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict was good for a diner. The banana bread was not so good - it just crumbled into nothing. The side of fresh fruit was OK but sliced un-cored apple was not what we had in mind.

Overall its an OK place.It offers a change from the usual chain restaurants but if you want a better breakfast, go to the Good Egg in Bradley Fair or Eggs Cetera (Rock & 21st) in Old Town (Mosely & 2nd).

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wichita, Kansas
“Great Supprise - Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

A Dinner in the true sense. Great and unusual menu for a diner. The banana waffles are wonderful, the chicken fried steak is a meal for two and the service was great. Have stopped by for breakfast and lunch several times and have always had a great meal - fun experience.

Visited January 2014
Plymouth, Michigan
“This is what breakfast in Kansas tastes like”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Doo-Dah Diner. We sat at tables that made me feel I was at my grandmas house. Dining tables with mismatched placements. So cute! The place was pretty busy and it took a while for our waitress to finally come and get us some drinks but she also brought us some monkey bread for waiting. Everyone had a great meal, no complaints even from my picky eaters. Great coffee too. At the end of the meal we were invited to sample a deliious bread pudding breakfast dessert. AMAZING. The place is small and the kitchen is open so when you leave there you do smell like you have been cooking onions. The price was reasonable and we even picked up a few fun T-Shirts for the kids. Highly recommended!

Visited October 2013
“Great breakfast place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

It was six degrees this morning, but buddy of mine and I stopped here on the way to the airport this morning. Place was packed and for good reason. This was my first trip here and it was great. The menu is varied in that it had a mix of traditional breakfast fare with a bunch of different items. Monkey bread, "free appetizer", was delicious. My Timi's Benedict was really good as in I was asked how I wanted my poached eggs done. I said medium and they came out exactly like that. Buddy had their sampler platter which was the benedict, banana bread french toast, and breakfast enchilada. He was just as happy as I was with the food.

Service was great. My buddy mentioned isn't it great to be at a place where the staff are happy to be there.

Can't wait to go back!