“Exceptional value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 81 hotels in Wichita
Elgin, IL
“Exceptional value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were so pleased with this hotel! The lobby/common areas were nicely decorated and didn't seem like a "cheap" hotel & the whole place always smelled good (so much so that my whole family noticed it). The mattresses were slightly uncomfortable, but the room was much bigger than any other double queen room we've ever had. We requested a rollaway bed & although they didn't have one they did offer a high quality air bed at no charge. It was very comfortable & easily set up. Staff was friendly & helpful. Breakfast was way above average & free. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, biscuits & gravy & lots more. Indoor & outdoor pool, but indoor one was small. Fridge & modern TV & DVD player in room. Room didn't feel dated or old. Overall a great stay for a great price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
wmcgreg, General Manager at Northrock Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank You for your comments...we look forward to seeing you again..!!!

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Farlington, KS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times several years ago and decided to give it another try. Several problems with the hotel including lack of towels in the room and very restrictive pool access. We won't be staying here again!

Room Tip: Try a different Hotel there are many better than this.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We needed a room fast because the place we had reserved prior to this was awful. This was a welcome change. The entry was nice, the reception we received was wonderful and informative. We needed 2 bedrooms so we had 2 adjoining rooms that shared a livingroom and it was exactly what we were looking for. We had the privacy of having separate bathrooms as well as bedrooms, but could come together with our cousins in the living room that had a TV, DVD player, refrigerator and microwave.
The rooms were hot when we arrived, but we turned on the AC and in no time at all, the room was quite cold. The decor was minimal, but we didn't care - we didn't rent a room for the beauty. The beds were adequate but will need replacing soon. The pool was nice and the children liked that you could swim through a canal to be inside or outside and enjoy the pool. Showers were excellent with great water pressure and the breakfast (free) was a wonderful end to our one night stay.
For the price that we paid for a family of 5 - 3 adults and 2 kids, it was well worth the money, especially when you consider the hot breakfast. I did read a negative review of this hotel that said there was no yogurt or fruit at breakfast, but that was not the case with us. It had all of that and more. Would certainly stay here again, especially with a large group!

Room Tip: Ask for late checkout so you don't have to compete with others. There is only one elevator, so t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WesMcGreg, General Manager at Northrock Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank You for your positive review. Larger families like yours love our 2 bedroom suites! We hope to see you again!! And yes, we did add yogurt to the breakfast for people wanting a 'healthier' choice.
Claremore, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

As good a breakfast as you'll get in that price range (no restaurant). Room was clean, smelled good, and housekeeping did a great job over a 3 day period. Pool and hot tub looked fine, didn't use. Close (like walking distance) to Wal-Mart, QT and many shopping and eating places. Only issue I had was AC wasn't cold enough the first night (this was during a period of extreme heat). Told the front desk that morning before heading out and came back that evening to find an ice cold room. Guessing it just needed freon charging. The place is not brand new but overall I couldn't really find anything to complain about.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I travel for work and occasionally the customer reserves the hotel room. That was the case in both visits to Wichita although, honestly, I probably would have stayed at Northrock Suites anyway based upon the convenience of the location. They've gotten so many bad reviews...maybe I've just been a little lucky. My room was comfortable. I had no problems with the bed and my air conditioning was good. The bathroom was quite clean. Now, honestly, in the sliding door tracks for the closet, there were two 'fruit loops' as in the cereal. I was there 4 nights...they were there when I arrived and still there when I departed. You'd think SOMEONE would have discarded them. But, other than that, there were no problems with lack of cleanliness. The breakfast wasn't exactly what I had hoped for. There was no oatmeal and no fresh fruit. There was no yogurt until the last morning. I imagine the 'hot' items were fine...just not what I like. Overall, a long way from the best place I've stayed but about as far from the worst place as well. So I give it an 'average' and would stay there again for business...just would take my own fruit!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Huntington Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I suppose I should have requested a different room, but we were very busy and were put in this hotel for a family wedding. They were quite full so I didn't think we'd have a chance to get a better room anyway. The bed was AWFUL: It was like sleeping on a giant maxi-pad. The mattress had some weird plastic cover on it, as if to guard from urine. I would have removed it but I was terrified at what might be beneath the plastic, and it made noises every time i moved. We had a "lovely view" of the parking lot, and there was a lot of noise outside. The plumbing was noisy in the middle of the night, and the in-room refrigerator buzzed noisily all night like that hum in Sedona that drives people to insanity. It was a depressing, creepy room, and the only halfway redeeming quality was the semi-nice lobby (which I suppose lures people in). The breakfast they serve is bland, and the house coffee was cold and tasted awful anyway. I couldn't wait to leave, and it will probably take years of therapy to forget this awful place.

Room Tip: Choose any other hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

This is the 6th year in a row we have stayed here for a huge bowling tournament hosted in Wichita annually. The rooms are very average (at best), the brunch is pretty good, location is great, but the staff is horrible. RUDE little 20-something college kid from Kent State behind the desk during the night shift needs to learn a LOT about customer service and needs a lesson in manners. WE (along with the other 600+ bowler we are associated with who stay her will never be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Northrock Suites? Share your experiences!