“Great stay but horrible training for staff” 3 of 5 stars

Cresthill Suites Wichita
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12111 E Central, Wichita, KS 67206   |
Ranked #19 of 79 hotels in Wichita
Arlington, Texas
“Great stay but horrible training for staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

First let me say, this is a GREAT place to say for the money. Especially with a pet in tow. However, the walls are paper thin, the breakfast pretty unvaried and gluten-filled -- never really saw fruit??? As for the hotel itself, that's the worst I can say other than the pans they have in the room's kitchen to cook with are really crappy, old and peeling. But everything is provided. Full kitchen with pretty much everything you need.

Now on to what I'm upset about. "Mysterious" charges. Sure they have you sign something that says they can charge your account $20 a day for incidentals, however I was charged more than that as an authorization as soon as I checked in. As well as my pet fee sans the tax.
That's also fine but when I asked the staff about what that charge was, I got the "the computer charges that, not us" runaround. I asked "Isn't this the pet fee?" They said no, the computer charges for incidentals.

Fast-forward to today where another staff member informed me that IN FACT that was the pet fee without tax. So that was two people who had said that wasn't the pet fee and that "the computer charges" things without them doing it. So you see, I'm a little puzzled. But still, things were OK up until today other than the staff ALWAYS seems clueless and helpless.

So now today I was charged the TOTAL bill before checking out. Now I have over $260 pending. Another $44.60 and the total bill of $298. All at once and all the staff unable to fix it. Now I understand you have to have authorizations but one room shouldn't cost over $600, whether or NOT it's pending. Because folks are on the road and need emergency funds!

VERY disappointed on how untrained the staff is as well as the lack of authority they have when the managers aren't around. Really sad because the actual hotel is wonderful and very clean! As well as a great location.

I would recommend again but with a big warning about how much you may be charged and how ridiculous the staff. OH and forgot to add when I called this morning to sort this out, some guy passed the buck, was "helpless" and said the next staff member coming in could fix it. That staffer really COULD NOT on her own. What a great guy throwing a young woman under the bus, huh? Ridiculous. He should be canned. And she was the only commendable person working here.

I couldn't bring myself to mark my stay as "terrible" overall which is why I put it as average. You can see my varied ratings for what I found was the best parts of the stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you DON'T use a debit card and if you do, be prepared to have three times your origina...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lake of The Ozarks, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had a two bedroom suite with tons of room. Very clean with nice beds and lots of pillows to choose from. This a pet friendly property for those needing one . We are going to stay here the next time were in town.

• Stayed December 2012
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed two nights at this hotel We have been travelling for over three months and have stayed at over 40 hotels in this time. Because the rooms have wooden floors all foot steps on the floor above reverberate into the room below. Not very good if there are children above you. When we arrived we were not informed that breakfast was provided and consequentually went out and brought our own food supplies for breakfast. There is no Tourist information available for guests. They assume that everyone is a tradesperson and don't need it. I still cannot come to grips with the fact the hotels allow dogs in rooms that will be rented out next night to other guests. The room was very good and I could not fault it. The hotel is located in a nice quiet area and has great facilities. I guess for a tradesperson it is very good but not for a tourist visiting Wichita.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor so you are not kept awake by footsteps above or woken early in the m...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Yuma, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed during Thanksgiving week in the 2 bedroom, 2 bath, kichenette & living room suite. It was very comfortable and we liked it a lot. The room was clean and the beds comfy. The maid was hit & miss with throwing out the coffee grounds and giving us more coffee. But overall it was good. The breakfast was ok. Saturday and Sunday was biscuits and gravy and during the week was scrambled eggs and sausage. They always had bread and cereal and fruit. My husband wanted more so we went to IHOP several mornings instead. Overall, we were pleased with our stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Leavenworth, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The hotel is very nice and was clean and comfortable. I don't believe it is a 3-star more like a 2 or 2.5 star though. I would definitely recommend it and had no serious issues. There is a mini-kithchen in the suites and a welcome basket is provided. I had a studio suite and the layout was a little odd with a lamp outlet plugged directly into the center of the floor. The bed was comfortable and the internet had no problems. The main issue was the restroom as it had a very old shower head and faucet and the shower would not turn on all the way as the pull plug to transfer from tub to shower would not lift all the way to do a complete transfer and water sprayed out of the tub faucet and a slow drain allowed water to pool at your feet. The shower head was old and didn't have great pressure (mostly due to the lack of a complete transfer). I used the dishwasher to wash my dinner dishes and it is very, very loud and I had to crank the TV way up to hear over the dishwasher. The bed was comfortable and the outside noise level was minimal. There is an elevator as well as a small pantry on the first floor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Orleans, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I wanted to let people know just how kind and generous the Food and Beverage Director, Matthew, was at this hotel. We had some confusion with our rooms and he immediately came "to the rescue" with a solution which could not have reflected more care for us as the guests. I have worked in this type of job in a major resort on Cape Cod and I know what this can mean for someone - especially when you are on a trip already laden with other issues, many of which are quite emotional. Anyway, our many, many thanks to Matthew at CrestHill Suites and I can only hope that his kindness and willingness to make something work for us will be greatly rewarded.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Holmes Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

From the moment we arrived, we felt welcome. The staff was friendly and helpful, our room spotless. Because there were three of us, we choose the 2 bedroom (and 2 bath) suite. The full kitchen, with dishwasher and stove with oven, served us well on those nights we cooked dinner, and the three televisions meant we could each watch a different channel if desired. The DVD player even came in handy for movies. It felt just like home.

While the room and the staff was perfect, the food offerings left something to be desired. At breakfast, the eggs were powdered and barely edible. There was no half and half for the coffee, only artificial cream, unacceptable for a true coffee lover. There was enough variety to find something to eat; cereal, toast and bagels were offered each day, along with juice and fruit.

Dinners during our stay were not much better. For a vegetable lover like me, there was little to satisfy. Hamburgers and hot-dogs, were served with potato and macaroni salad, and two nights in the same week involved the same chili, served with different corn chips. The salad was iceberg lettuce, a variety devoid of nutrition and not in my usual diet. The soups were pretty good.

All in all, it was a great place to stay, but the food offerings could use some improvement.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sean P, General Manager at Cresthill Suites Wichita, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank You so much for your response! It is unfortunate that you were less than pleased with our food selections but we always appreciate the feedback as a way to gage our services. The hotel will look at additional options for the meals we provide, that most certainly will continue to improve our guest experience. I was glad that the rest of your stay was nice and enjoyable. We definitely hope to serve you again for any future needs you may have!

Been to Cresthill Suites Wichita? Share your experiences!