“Dirty Disgusting, Skip it” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #50 of 79 hotels in Wichita
Shawnee Mission, Kansas, United States
“Dirty Disgusting, Skip it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Don't expect much - Better yet, don't even stay here. Can't take your shoes off for fear of getting some horrible disease from the nasty carpet which was supposed to be dark red, but looked almost black in places. I'm sure it has never been cleaned. You have to be a contortionist to get into the bathroom and be able to reach the toilet paper. Room smelled like poo. Carpet in the hallway was almost as bad and coming up in several spots. Remote for the TV has all the functions rubbed away on it so you can't even use that except by trial and error. They are halfway finished with putting cheap laminate flooring in the hallway. Ventilation system and mini fridge were LOUD -----Had a room booked on Friday and asked the manager if they had any rooms for the next night. He said check back with me at 10 or 11 the next day and we'll see. Went to check after breakfast (yeah it was a couple hours earlier than I was supposed to but it doesn't hurt to ask does it?) and spoke with another employee on the off chance there might have been something available and he plugged me into his computer and said that we could stay in our room that night. (Correct response should have been "It looks like it might be available but I can't promise. Please check back when someone who knows what they are talking about is on duty.") We got a call at 5:00 pm on Saturday from the original manager who I spoke to - said we had to come get our stuff out of the room because the hotel was full and we had to leave. So you are waiting until 5pm when we are visiting family member in the hospital to tell us we have to leave??!! "That employee is new and he didn't know the system." "He will be dealt with for this mistake." Does us no good. No consideration for our trouble - couldn't even get a receipt for the pet fee. Breakfast was adequate, oj was brownish and spoiled tasting --- Postives: bed was comfortable and water pressure/temp good -- so it's a great place to stay if you want to add your own nasty bodily fluids to their collection.------ Dear manager, Don't respond here and tell me you ar working to correct these problems. If you were managing your property correctly you would have done so already. F-minus

Room Tip: Just think of it as camping and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
wichitainnnorth, Manager at Wichita Inn North, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Since you did not leave your name or email address, this is the only way I have to correspond with you.

I want to apologize for your less than satisfying stay with us.

However-if you had a problem with your stay-it would have been nice of you to let us know so we could take care of the problem prior to you leaving. We do not know what room you were in-or anything about your stay at this point, only your comments.

I have to disagree with you on several points that you made-the rooms-were inspected by AAA, within the last month-and they said we have the cleaniest rooms in Kansas. I have checked rooms as well as my head housekeeper and maintenance man-and have found no carpet dirty or coming up. Our carpets are totally cleaned by a reputable company locate here in Wichita.

I do want to apologize for your stay-and your perception of the room.

Thanks for your comments!

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

My husband works with the railroad and stays at this hotel very often due to company contracts. I don't know what it is that they do at their front desk but they never answer the phone. Today my husband missed his call to work because the front desk didn't answer the phone. I have been trying to call for the last half hour to get a hold of SOMEONE and currently on my third attempt to call the timer on my phone reads 10 minutes plus at 10 o'clock in the morning!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
wichitainnnorth, Front Office Manager at Wichita Inn North, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
I want to thank you for your review of Oct. 7th. We value all the customers that stay with us.
I understand your frustration, when you are calling a hotel and you can't get an answer from them.

Oct.7th was unforeseen telephone problem, that couldn't be fixed until later that day.

The Railroad that stays with us, stays here because we are very reliable on our phone service.

I know the next time you call our hotel, you will be able to get an answer on the other end.

Thanks again

Goodland, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I spent two nights at this hotel with my family. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable throughout our stay. We stayed in a double queen room and it was clean and comfortable. The beds were suitable for everyone in our party and we slept soundly. The continental breakfast was on par with what we've found at 2.5 star hotels like Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. This hotel was priced somewhere between $40-70 cheaper per night than comparable hotels. The area has a wide variety of eating and shopping options nearby with some being within walking distance. Another plus is that even on busy weekend nights we heard absolutely no noise from other hotel guests. Excellent, excellent hotel! P.S. Remember to tip your housekeepers! They appreciate it and it shows :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank You for your very kind words.

The staff at WIN thanks you, we as a team try to the best job we can, do for each and every guest.

Thanks again,

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our 3-night stay in September was lovely. We were given adjoining rooms as requested - two queen sized beds in large rooms with refrigerators and microwaves, a nice table and chair and dresser cabinet for the TV. One room had a flat screen TV, one had an older model. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but not fancy. The water pressure in the shower was excellent, and the provided soaps and lotion were quite nice. The beds slept great, and the a/c in the room was perfect. The windows open, which was nice for a morning breeze.

The free breakfast each morning was a treat: fresh waffles (fun to make yourself on the Belgian waffle maker), biscuits and gravy, several varieties of bread for toast, yogurts, sausage & pancake 'corn dogs', various pastries, various instant oatmeal flavors, coffee, juices, several dry cereals and milk, and whole fresh fruit. Everything was fresh, tasty and unlimited. (We brought breakfast back to our room even though the signs said not to. oops.) The staff (check-in and cleaning) was courteous to a fault.

Plenty of parking, easy freeway access to the 96, lots of retail and restaurants within minutes. This isn't a 4-star hotel, but especially for the price we were VERY pleased and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
wichitainnnorth, General Manager at Wichita Inn North, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
We want to thank your for your response! We appreciate your taking the time to contact us, and appreciate your comments on our property!

thanks again!

New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was very clean. I was impressed that the hotel had a selection of dvds to choose from. We had a little problem with the drain in the tub draining, but other than that had a wonderful stay. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012
wichitainnnorth, General Manager at Wichita Inn North, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I would like to thank you for the time you spent-and the wonderful reveiw you gave us!

I want to thank you very much for staying with us-and look forward to your return visit!

Again, thank you very much!

The Staff and Management
Wichita Inn North
Ramona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Called last night to make reservation for the 5th stay here. I have surgeries at the Kansas Heart Hospital and we have never had a complaint with this Hotel.But last night after I gave all my info,and had my name spelled Wrong 3 times to me. I was told ,,We cannot Rent a room to you misses Smith,,,,,you Smoked in the room the last time you were here with us!! I said I do NOT Smoke,am a Heart Patient and my Husband does NOT Smoke either. There must be a mistake,,please check the name again,he just kept saying Yes you did Smoke in the room and we will not rent to you. He just kept saying it over and over . I was angry and insulted to be accused of something I did NOT do!! He finally sain to give him my card info and he would book. I got off phone and told my husband what happened,he said if they disrespected me and accused me of such things,,then we are NOT staying there. So he called back and cancelled the room. I certainly hope there will be NO Charge. We are disappointed in all of this,like I said we never had a complaint but this was just too upsetting.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
wichitainnnorth, General Manager at Wichita Inn North, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Mrs. Smith:

I want to apologize for your treatment and making you feel bad. For this I want to apologize!
That was not our intenetion-and I will speak to the clerk!

We have a very strict no-smoking policy-and have had people smoke in the room. Prehaps it was the people who stayed after you. For this mistake, again I want to apoligize!

We want our rooms to smell fresh and odorless for our guests like you! This is why we have such a stringent policy.

Please call me and I will take care of your reservation-and there will not be a problem. The number you should call is myt cell number 316-992-8638.

We have a very good realtionship with the Hospitals in our area-and want to make sure each guest is taken care of!

Thank you very much!

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Wichita Inn North is an older, unassuming building on the North side of Wichita. The rooms haven't been updated in a while, but they are spacious and clean. The king size bed was a little softer than I prefer, but in good condition and comfortable. They use smaller, square pillows, of nice quality. The breakfast buffet is amazing for the price. I expected cold cereal and coffee, but they had a waffle maker, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, pastries, and many more very nice items. It was a great value, and everyone on the staff was helpful and friendly. This is not a hotel for a romantic getaway, but if you're looking for a clean place to sleep with a good breakfast and you don't mind an older hotel, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
wichitainnnorth, Manager at Wichita Inn North, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
I would like to thank your for your review! The only way we know how we are doing is thru honest reveiws of our property by our guest! Thanks So much!!

I am glad that you found our hotel to be a good value and location! As well as serving a good value breakfast!

Again, thanks for your review-and we look forward to seeing you back with us very soon!

Thanks so much!

Frank C. Larson

Been to Wichita Inn North? Share your experiences!