“Easy to Get to and Close to River and Baseball Stadium” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Wichita
Haskell, New Jersey
“Easy to Get to and Close to River and Baseball Stadium”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Everything seems brand new. Easy to get to as it is right off of the highway. The baseball stadium where the Wichita Wingnuts play is a short walk across the river. Also, the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame is across the street. Not so good part is it is not near too many restaurants. My first night there was a free summer concert in the park behind the hotel plus I could see the fireworks after the Wingnuts game. Free breakfast was standard so it was fine. Free parking is available in the parking garage next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the park side not the street side.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Filley, Ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Nice new hotel. You park right next door. Room was good as was the breakfast and pool. I found the staff most helpful with recommendations for dining and directions. We walked to a Ribfest nearby. Was only there one night but it was a fine experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Okay, so the building itself is nice and new. However, there are too many choices in town so good service should be a given. We stayed last year and the front desk personnel were rude and unwelcoming. The manager commented on my review, sounding like that is out of the ordinary for them. So, I gave them a second chance. And, again, the staff (except the housekeeper who was wonderful) was rude and service was awful. We were all in bed early sleeping the night before an early morning event and long day. The athletes we travel with are all very mature and professional. Never has there been an issue. In fact, our favorite restaurants love our athletes so much that they've held their businesses open after hours for us, without us even asking. We even have a standing invitation from a local Wichita restaurant for every year. And, unlike with Fairfield, we will always reward their great service with our business. Anyway, everyone was sleeping when the hotel staff member pounded on the door, waking everyone up, and demanding we take down our signs.
Just a little background, my daughter travels all over the U.S. to compete in her sport. At these competitions, it is a often the case that the same people ate traveling there. To show their sportsmanship, they made a tradition of posting a sign on the door with beat wishes to the other athletes (just scotch tape and paper, nothing that damages). None of the hundreds if hotels we have stayed at has ever had an issue with it. Many have even got in on the act with the athletes. Just good, harmless, respectful fun. Well, Fairfield, we are done with you and your awful service!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Amy M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Wichita Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Jane29556,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Fairfield Inn and Suites Wichita Downtown. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay. You indicated in your response that the signage on your door supporting your team was asked to be removed. Please accept our sincere apologies for this. It is not our intention to be unsportsmanlike. We work very hard to protect our guest's privacy and ensure their safety, therefore we ask that all doors remain neutral. I understand the frustration this must have caused and I wish I were able to speak with you in person prior to your departure to personally apologize. I wish you safe travels always, Amy M. / GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed two days and it was wonderful had excellent accommodations even had an upgrade. Easy walk to the Theatre and restaurant. Witnessed a staff member being shouted at because the Eggs were not ready when he arrived. The employee was very professional and handled it well. The guest was out of
Line. Nice job. Will comeback next year.

Stayed August 2014
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I was back at this hotel recently for a conference at the almost-adjacent convention center. It was another 5 star stay! My first review focused on the amazing staff, and how well prepared the hotel is to handle large groups. This is still very very true. They opened breakfast early to accommodate our conference schedule. The common areas were always clean and inviting, even with the heavy traffic. Our king room was comfortable. Free covered parking is right next door. In nice weather, you can walk to pretty much everything you want: Shopping, coffee, restaurants and bars, river walk, the convention center, etc. Or you can simply relax in the beautiful courtyard out back! This hotel has secured it's spot as my #1 choice in the Wichita area. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Grand Prairie, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Simply stated, this is a clean, comfortable and well maintained hotel. It is located just off the highway, but you would never know. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the staff was great. Good breakfast. They also have an indoor pool.... great thing on Christmas trips to visit the family. We will definitely be staying again! Parking is in a garage... I bet there is an elevator some where, but we opted to take the stairs after 6 hours on the road. :-)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Spent 2 nights at this hotel. The hallways are narrow and if you don't have a king suite and just a standard room...pray you aren't claustrophobic as the standard rooms are very very small. The whole parking situation is just stupid. Signs tell you that hotel parking is in the parking garage on the 5th floor. Seriously. We drove up to the 5th floor only to find zero cars up there. We had to call the front desk to ask where to park because the property shares parking with private condos with reserved parking.

We were then told we could park where signs were not posted saying reserved on any floor. Umm...what's the point of your signs then?

This place needs room service. Most restaurants in the immediate area close at 8 pm during the week. The restaurant should serve dinner along with the bar being open later. This is located next to an arena. Hello? Are you allergic to making extra money?

I had no problem with the staff. They were great. I had issues with panhandlers and a few escorts asking me to let them into the hotel with my card key at night. C'mon.

Nice gym. Nice pool. Nice sitting area outside with a fire pit.

I am just sick of Marriott cheapening out with the food options at their hotels. The place they had a room service menu for was a local restaurant. It was 80% seafood. Seafood? In WICHITA? What? How about steaks? BBQ? Come on now. Seafood?

Anyway...the hotel is very clean and if I come back to the area I might consider it again if the King Suite is available only. If not...a couple like myself and my wife would not be comfortable at all in a standard room there.

Room Tip: King Suite ONLY.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Amy M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Wichita Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff and found our hotel to be clean and have a nice pool and fitness room. I do agree that the outside courtyard area with the fire pit is also a nice place. I do apologize for any inconvenience the parking and room size may have caused. Being in a downtown location, our parking lot is certainly non-traditional. Thank you for the suggestions regarding our room service menu. I will most definitely pass those ideas onto the Restaurant that provides this service. If indeed your travels bring you back to Wichita, please don't hesitate to call me directly so that I may ensure you receive a larger room that may be more comfortable for you and your family; our Suites will surely offer more square footage. I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead and safe travels always, Amy

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Wichita Downtown? Share your experiences!