“BAD EXPERIENCE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Serenity Bed and Breakfast Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wichita
Serenity Bed and Breakfast Inn
You added Serenity Bed and Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
1018 North Market Street, Wichita, KS 67214   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Wichita B&B and Inns
Manhattan, Kansas
“BAD EXPERIENCE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Unfortunately I am compelled to write the first critical review of a hotel or B and B in my over 20 years of travel. My wife and I have stayed in over 60 B and B's, hotels, home rentals, etc. in that time, both throughout America and Europe (while we were in the Army). THIS WAS A BAD EXPERIENCE. My wife had paid the extra fee, $20.00, for an early check in that moves the check in time from 5:30 pm to 2:00 pm. Note that the Inn's website mentions no extra fee for the convenience or does it specify that the customer is obligated to check in at 2:00 pm once that agreement has been decided. Ken Elliott, the proprietor, informed her of the extra charge over the phone, but failed to mention that we were now obligated to check in at that time. Inclement weather en route to the B and B had not enabled to get there at 2:00 pm. The roads had become slick, from a snow that was falling at the time of travel, and we experienced strong winds. We arrived at 2:15 to find the Inn locked up and no answer at the door.

There was no note left at the Inn informing us of when we could expect someone to return. After I knocked on the door for a few minutes, rang the door bell repeatedly and peeked in the windows to see if it was possibly a medical emergency, I returned to my car and started calling the business. I called numerous times with no results. There was no voice mail at the business number and we had no way of determining what the problem was. We sat in our car for about 25 minutes unsure what to do. In that time we saw what a degenerated neighborhood the B and B was located in. As we sat in our car in front of the B and B, there were numerous pedestrians that walked past us and all of them appeared to be derelicts. I felt that this was an unsafe neighborhood and was concerned that we, a middle aged couple, could be a victim of a crime as we waited for someone to arrive at the business.

Eventually there was a gentleman, who identified himself as Jon Robinson, that arrived at the B and B and he explained that he lived there and he allowed me in the business. He told me that he would locate the owner and after looking around stated that he wasn't there, but would call him. He called the owner and informed me that the owner would be back at the Inn in about 2 minutes. I had left my wife in the car because, quite honestly, Jon was a rough looking man and I actually felt at that time that I needed to check him out a little closer. Jon then told me that it would be another 10 minutes before the owner arrived. I then returned to my car and joined my wife. But I had been in the downstairs of the business for about 5 minutes and made the following observations. Upon entry I noticed that the downstairs was dark, dingy and had an unusual odor about it. It was unpleasant and I walked into what I assumed was the dining area to see that there was a shabby table in it that had a soiled and stained table cloth on it. The overall apperance of the Inn, from what I had observed, was poorly kept, possibly unsanitary and certainly in a bad neighborhood. Having returned to the car my wife and I decided that the Inn was way overrated and we started making phone calls to make arrangements for lodging elsewhere.

We remained in front of the Inn while making other arrangements because I wanted to let the owner know that I was very dissatisfied and discuss his ealy arrival policy with him. The owner, Ken, arrived a few minutes later and I informed him of my dissapointment and that I was cancelling the stay. I asked what his cancellation policy and he told me that he expected payment in full. I wasn't surprised by this and then told him that I at least expected him not to charge the $20.00 for the early arrival fee. Ken replied that he was charging me the extra $20.00 fee, that it was my fault for not arriving on time (15 minutes late in bad weather?) or attempting to contact him to let him know that we would be late (which apparenty would have been fruitless since I wasn't able contact him after I arrived). He said that he had errands to run and he usually runs them that time of day to prepare for his other guests. I told him that he could have called us stating that he wouldn't be there or left a note and he replied that that's not his policy. It falls back on the guest's responsibility to inform him. Ken Elliott was rude and aloof, to the point of being condesending during our contact with each other.

And Ken was true to his word. He charged us the $199.00 fee for the room, which included the $20.00 early arrival fee. Yes, we did loose the money, but we found a much nicer, safer and cheaper place to stay that night; the Hotel at Old Town. So let us all benefit from my wife's and my misfortune.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

On the first night we arrived, we ran out of toilet paper. When we told the owner, he handed us a box of Kleenex and assured us he would get more. We began having problems with the toilet and told the owner, he handed us a plunger. We never received TP until the morning we left, 3 days later. 3 days worth of dirty linens piled up in the bathroom and was never removed while we were there.
There was Christmas decor up in the house (we arrived mid March). Artificial tree needles were everywhere and the floors were dirty. The breakfast table we ate at was never cleaned while we were there. Spilled coffee stains on the table cloth and spilled food left from the day before was not removed for the 3 days we were there.
This Inn is not located in a good part of town. We saw numerous homeless people and woke up one morning to find someone going through the B&B's trash can. In that poor of neighborhood you would hope they would offer secure parking, which they had room, but never offered.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We spent an extended weekend at the Serenity Bed and Breakfast Inn and couldn't have been more pleased. Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. Our host, Ken was extremely accommodating and made sure our stay was perfect. We took advantage of the specialty dessert one night and it was delicious as were the breakfasts to which we were treated. We highly recommend Serenity Bed and Breakfast Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
missoula, mt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

the rooms were comfortable, clean. the proprietor was gracious and charming. we have family nearby and will definitely stay here again. thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: our room was on the north side - at least i think it was north. it was quiet and cozy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Make sure you get the services you reserved. I paid a $100 in advance to reserve a room with a fireplace for my daughter to get married in front of and a room for her to get ready in, two days before the wedding the manager Ken changed the arrangements. When I spoke to Ken on the phone he asked if I wanted a refund which I said yes. I have called him every week for 6 weeks and each time he claims to be too busy to refund my money. He has used my $100 for himself and not honored our arrangement which is dishonest and I hope he gets caught. I have reported him to the Better Business Bureau and I hope he is made accountable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hutchinson, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I just returned home from Serenity and I have to say, it was hard to leave. The Sunflower Suite is spacious and beautifully decorated, with fresh flowers strategically spaced throughout. Ken (the owner) is fabulous and takes great care to not miss any detail. He is also a fabulous cook, as evidenced by the desert platter last night all the way through our breakfast – served in room – this morning. I can also highly recommend the add-on for the jacuzzi bubble bath & champagne if you reserve this suite -- simply magnificent!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Serenity Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!